Thread: Wulfy - DIY

Hammock
    TBA

Wulfy - DIY - Storing pack in hammock?

Hi Guys ( and gals ),

So, new to this, obviously have alot of reading ahead of me .......

Going to do first build over the next few months.... Pretty sure I will be able to research and read a lot about most aspects. Have ordered alot of stuff from the states to take the hassle of sourcing the parts from Aust. You guys are lucky over there.

Hoping to post up progress and results for others.

There is such a wealth of information here, alas, it's so spread out and the practical nature of alot of the techniques are really hard to grasp by reading alone.

Couple of questions to start;

-Sewing techniques: Which stitches / twine / gauge is best ( anyone got a good URL which gives detail ) basically hoping someone who has made mistakes can tell me what is best. I know there is some information out there if I search but just looking to narrow the search a bit and know where to focus.

-Underquilt: Planning on sewing in a down/primaloft underquilt. Leaning towards primaloft as i'm concerned about dew/moisture over a few days. I notice a supplier has .4", .6" and 1.2" primaloft. Ideally, I want the hammock to pack small so .4? Or is it worth .6 or more. Having difficulty visualising rolling up / compressing the primaloft.

Or to phrase it another way, what is a minimal / average amount of down/primaloft.

If anyone can shed some light on these topics or even link me to some of the best tutorials on sewing / newbie builds I would be very grateful.

GOALS
    -I'm light and short 5"3'. Majority of systems on them market could be more compact.
    -Learn how to sew better.
    -Be as light as possible but not at the compromise of comfort and durability ( Try to find middle ground )
    -Be as integrated as possible ( Hammock + Fly 2 peices everything else must be integrated )
    -Be stealth ( Highwayside camping compatible for cycle touring )
    -Compact, size is a priority over weight.
    -Under $400 total for all parts, hopefully around $300 ( minus shipping )
    -40-90 degrees compatible

EDIT: Running plans description
    -Adjustable Double Ridgeline ( 1 for fly - 1 for bugnet )
    -Integrated Down Underquilt
    -Integrated Bugnet with Zip Entry
    -38mm Webbing Tree Attachment ( I'm light )
    -Custom snakeskins ( possible future modifications for dripstop )
    -Multiple internal storage vestibules
    -Possible water collection capability from fly
    Last edited by wulfy117; 04-11-2012 at 09:38.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    As far as sewing goes, Ramblinrev's video series on gear-making basics was very helpful on my first few projects. Essentially, you'll need a straight stitch and not much else. Use good-quality 100% polyester thread (it's more-or-less weatherproof; Gutterman's is recommended by most here) that is light enough gauge to run through your machine.

What temperatures are you intending on using the quilt in? That'll determine what amount of down or Primaloft you want to wind up using. On the other hand, nothing packs as small as down yet. You have a triangle of cost, weight/compressability, and performance when wet. You'll need to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Hammock
    TBA
    Cheers for that........... very lucky to have a missus here who has done a little with a machine so she is slowly teaching me, much practice awaits

Temperatures are pretty much 3+1/2 season. I'm willing to throw on 3 layers of thermals + jacket to beef up warmth. Just want enough on the bottom to take the edge off. Worst temps would be 5deg celcius. ( I think that's around 30faren )

Found this resource with regards to whipping ( not to self ) thankyou to the poster:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=knotty

Seems to be the best technique.... Also, fly will be hexagonal + reversable ( highvis vs stealth ) as i'm planning to use it cycle touring so will need to be stealth next to the highway from time to time.

QUESTION: What would be any disadvantage to making pack storage within the hammock ( at 1 end ).

Toying with the idea, to my reasoning it would stop critters+crawlies from getting at the pack and possibly give the hammock more horizontal support/form.

Then again, it may invite crawlies / critters to hack at / crawl into the hammock. I have had a kangaroo claw through a fly to get at some bread left stupidly available.

Has anyone made a largish storage area within their hammock and how did it come off?
    Last edited by wulfy117; 04-09-2012 at 10:13.

Hammock
    TBA
    Thankyou, creativeKayt and shugemery also.... very clear and useful tutorials/vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwmQK...endscreen&NR=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

Also, if anyone is Australia needs colored webbing......found some here;

auswebbing.com.au
    Last edited by wulfy117; 04-11-2012 at 04:43.

Hammock
    TBA
    Draft Sketch showing proposed attached under down insulation, comments welcome.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Wulfy! I'm struggling a bit to understand your diagram? Are you planning to make a mummy shaped underquilt? And the fly, is that meant to represent your tarp or like an undercover for you quilt?

But to answer your question, your basic straight stitch tends to work well for nearly everything, and I tend to us about a 3mm stitch length on almost everything.
    There is also this chart which I found in this thread.
    And if you become truly desperate, you can poke around my youtube videos for some info. Embedded within some of the videos is some quasi-useful info on sewing various seams etc. Hope that helps. Keep asking questions, and we'll do our best to help.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Hold on there mate.... you are going to want to start the project with a bit of practice. Underquilts, especially down, are fairly advanced projects. So start out with stuff sacks and other easy peasey proje3cts udtil you get your feet on the ground.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    TBA
    Thanks for the replies......

Redoleary - The diagram is a bit raw, sorry, it's just an underquilt sewn to the underside of the hammock.

The fly will be stitched into the top edges once the basic strung form presents itself.

Good advice to work on the sewing ( thread injection ), luckily I have access to someone with a little experience here.
    Last edited by wulfy117; 04-11-2012 at 08:44.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    For your diagrams above, no-see-um will work just fine. Most mil-spec nets are made out of regular no-see-um material (nylon), just with specific sources for the contents that fall within the country.

As to the underquilt, a mummy-style might work, but unless you're making a bridge design (which doesn't seem to be the case with the footbox possibility), you're probably going to want to make the quilt on an angle. If you make it into a rhombus that runs from left shoulder to right foot (if right handed) or right shoulder to left foot (if left handed; though these can be switched, obviously, if you want) that tapers like a trapezoid from shoulder to foot, it'll use up the minimum amount of material.

Now, as to whether you want the underquilt attached to your hammock the whole year is up to you; you can always have another one for the summer months.

For the end storage, have you seen 2QZQ's peak bags? Those would seem to be fairly close to what you want in design.

Also, thank you, Redoleary: I've been trying to muddle my way through thread sizes for a few months now, and that chart makes things a lot easier.

Hammock
    TBA
    Great feedback!, thanks heaps. Eggsackly the type of info I need. You are right about the UQ angle/coverage. Will seriously consider alternative means of attachment.....velcro / button / other. Both as a temporary means of testing and warm weather convertibility.

It's going to take about two months for me to get the gear, practice sewing and read-up ( I've only watched 10 out of 1000 youtube video's so far ).

To everyone who created video's, ideas and has come before me.....thanks.

I'm then going to do a test bind and sleep/s to figure out the base dimensions and whether I want/need a footbox or not. Then move to the edges -> bindings -> fly -> underquilt last.

Some more resource;

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=39831 Cuben Integrated Underquilt
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=50791 Thread on integrated underquilts
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=38144 Liking this doored cat cut / hex tarp design.
    Last edited by wulfy117; 04-12-2012 at 02:16.

• + New Posts