Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Post Old dog wants new tricks

    Hi all
    A complete novice when it comes to hammocking, have never even sat in one let alone slept in one, But I love the idea of the freedom and versatility that a hammock offers but am totally as to what to buy, should I initially go cheap and cheerfull in case I can't hack hammocking ie; 10 on ebay or 200 plus for a Hennessy?
    I appreciate that quality usually comes with price but does comfort?
    Is a budget hammock as comfortable as an expensive hammock?
    I have read that some hammocks allow sleeping flat or even on your side (which is what I do so I don't have to look at the wife all the time)
    Any advice, pointers, photos web links etc would be greatly appreciated
    would also appreciate advice on tarps and sleeping bags

    I live in N,Ireland where we can get 4 seasons in one day
    Aged 48 with some of the acompaning aches and pains,
    6ft tall and 16 stone weight (but on a diet)
    Hope to do some summer/autum backpacking in UK/europe
    Sleep cold (unless the wife is there as she gives off quite a lot of hot air)

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,150
    Images
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken george View Post
    Hi all
    A complete novice when it comes to hammocking, have never even sat in one let alone slept in one, But I love the idea of the freedom and versatility that a hammock offers but am totally as to what to buy, should I initially go cheap and cheerfull in case I can't hack hammocking ie; 10 on ebay or 200 plus for a Hennessy?
    I appreciate that quality usually comes with price but does comfort?
    Is a budget hammock as comfortable as an expensive hammock?
    I have read that some hammocks allow sleeping flat or even on your side (which is what I do so I don't have to look at the wife all the time)
    Any advice, pointers, photos web links etc would be greatly appreciated
    would also appreciate advice on tarps and sleeping bags

    I live in N,Ireland where we can get 4 seasons in one day
    Aged 48 with some of the acompaning aches and pains,
    6ft tall and 16 stone weight (but on a diet)
    Hope to do some summer/autum backpacking in UK/europe
    Sleep cold (unless the wife is there as she gives off quite a lot of hot air)

    Thanks in advance
    this here is what i use $150.00 us dollars plus free shipping world wide.the jungle hammockneo

    http://www.mosquitohammock.com/


    http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html
    the matrix has you

  3. #3
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,150
    Images
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    this here is what i use $150.00 us dollars plus free shipping world wide.the jungle hammockneo

    http://www.mosquitohammock.com/


    http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html
    pic of me and my claytor jungle hammockneo

    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11
    the matrix has you

  4. #4
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,150
    Images
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken george View Post
    Hi all
    A complete novice when it comes to hammocking, have never even sat in one let alone slept in one, But I love the idea of the freedom and versatility that a hammock offers but am totally as to what to buy, should I initially go cheap and cheerfull in case I can't hack hammocking ie; 10 on ebay or 200 plus for a Hennessy?
    I appreciate that quality usually comes with price but does comfort?
    Is a budget hammock as comfortable as an expensive hammock?
    I have read that some hammocks allow sleeping flat or even on your side (which is what I do so I don't have to look at the wife all the time)
    Any advice, pointers, photos web links etc would be greatly appreciated
    would also appreciate advice on tarps and sleeping bags

    I live in N,Ireland where we can get 4 seasons in one day
    Aged 48 with some of the acompaning aches and pains,
    6ft tall and 16 stone weight (but on a diet)
    Hope to do some summer/autum backpacking in UK/europe
    Sleep cold (unless the wife is there as she gives off quite a lot of hot air)

    Thanks in advance
    welcome to hammock forumsneo
    the matrix has you

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lone Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central, PA.
    Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Posts
    195
    Images
    30
    NEO- Where are you in the picture. All the camo....LOL

    Another option would be to make a hammock if you or your wife have any sewing skills. Minimal expense on the front end and may allow you to determine if hammocks is for you before plunking down money on a system. There is a ton of information on this site for DIY hammock projects.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wichita, Ks
    Posts
    657
    Images
    14
    I'll second the diy hammock. It is simply a sheet of fabric gathered up and whipped on the ends. There is a nice tutorial here:

    http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

    The caveat to the homemade hammock is the pride you get from completing it makes you want to make more and more gear. It never ends...

    Good luck!

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Harrison Twp, MI
    Hammock
    DIY HH
    Tarp
    black cat
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    I'll second the diy hammock. It is simply a sheet of fabric gathered up and whipped on the ends. There is a nice tutorial here:

    http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

    The caveat to the homemade hammock is the pride you get from completing it makes you want to make more and more gear. It never ends...

    Good luck!
    welcome to the forums first off!


    I used this site, mentioned by narwhalin, to really get started. It is definitely a great way to see if it is for you! Cheap too if you can score some good stuff at walmart! Best of luck!

  8. #8
    Senior Member fin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On the trail
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Posts
    2,498
    Images
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken george View Post
    Hi all
    A complete novice when it comes to hammocking, have never even sat in one let alone slept in one, But I love the idea of the freedom and versatility that a hammock offers but am totally as to what to buy, should I initially go cheap and cheerfull in case I can't hack hammocking ie; 10 on ebay or 200 plus for a Hennessy?
    I appreciate that quality usually comes with price but does comfort?
    Is a budget hammock as comfortable as an expensive hammock?
    I have read that some hammocks allow sleeping flat or even on your side (which is what I do so I don't have to look at the wife all the time)
    Any advice, pointers, photos web links etc would be greatly appreciated
    would also appreciate advice on tarps and sleeping bags

    I live in N,Ireland where we can get 4 seasons in one day
    Aged 48 with some of the acompaning aches and pains,
    6ft tall and 16 stone weight (but on a diet)
    Hope to do some summer/autum backpacking in UK/europe
    Sleep cold (unless the wife is there as she gives off quite a lot of hot air)

    Thanks in advance
    Try the DD - I think locally you could get one for around 35, maybe less. Good all around hammock with bug netting and pad pocket, and lots of room inside. A good first hammock for anyone, but especially for someone where the shipping isn't so expensive.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Drop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Posts
    122
    Images
    1
    http://www.ddhammocks.com/products.php currently offering travel hammock (seconds) for 26 delivered. Nice hammock, bit of work with a needle and thread to sort out the loops.
    Easy to hang, possibly a tad on the short side (but i'm used to big hammocks) I'm about your size (bit lighter ) and had a fair night in it on the way to glasto last week (albeit hanging by a layby near an all night freight distrobution depot).
    Possibly relpace the straps or add drip strings in case of rain.
    Worth a put for 26 anyway. Use roll mats for insulation/go to ground.

    Or find a cheap double parachute/bag and loop hammock on ebay (what I use), various brand names - ticket to the moon, ghecko, wayfare etc etc.

    For a tarp DD also do one (heavy), since theres no Decathlon in NI maybe go this route
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...ammock%20Cover
    I bought one but haven't used it in vain yet, good price though.

    Good luck and welcome aboard. Plenty of forestry in NI to practice on

  10. #10
    Member CanadaEast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Moncton, NB
    Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    SuperShelter/Quilt
    Posts
    52
    I went with a Hennessy Hammock because I knew it was of good quality and I haven't been disappointed. That being said, I may now try to build my own to have an extra one. Having been in the Hennessy gives me a better idea on how to build my own (I get lost in the technical terms used to describe how to build one...I'm a bit slow).

    p.s. Whatever you do make sure to keep in mind to have good bottom insulation for colder nights. Perhaps the hot air provided by your wife could come in handy after all.
    MY TOP 3
    3. My Candle Lantern
    2. My Pocket Rocket Stove
    1. My HH Ultralite with SS

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •