Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web & buckles
    Images
    Pads are underrated. I use UQ's for the summer and cooler weather, but for some serious cold, I use pads. Combine the egg crate, the sunshade and the other blue wally world pad, with a poncho as a weathershield and I have gone to -22*F. yep that's a negative. As I said, pads are underrated. Some hammocks they tend to not stay under you, that's the only real drawback... not their insulative properties.

Hammock
    Thunderbird11ft DL
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE APEX Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you thank you thank you for all the responses. I am going to fiddle with the WW blue pad and some reflective blanket for this trip as it is cheap and easy to carry. I will start saving for a UQ in the mean time!! I will let you all know how it goes!!

Hammock
    Byers mosquito traveller
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    ccf w/ Eno Hotspot
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    I tried the pad approach this weekend for my first overnight. I woke up cold wherever it was not under me. Then i cut one up and tried to tape it. Didn't work, because the separate pads wanted to mold in different directions, causing lumpiness. So i untaped and laid them horizontal with overlap and this was better. I also tried a T with some overlap, which may work. This was done with an Alps Mtn ccf pad from Cabela's. I was also using a sleeping bag, which I had to cover my head with for some of the time. Pretty chilly night, but learned a lot and still slept better than on the ground.

Hammock
    Not sure yet. . .
    Tarp
    One that stops
    Insulation
    My woobie!
    Suspension
    granny knots
    OP, here is what I'm trying.

I found some very light 1/4" pads at $5 Below and bought 2 of them. They are 24"x60" so I cut one in half. I taped the extra 30" section to the foot of the pad and made 2 12"x30" wings that I taped about 8" from the top. They fit very nicely in my new snugpak jungle but I also have a "new-to-me" HH Safari Ultralight on the way so I'm hoping it will work out well in that one too.

Last year I did a few nights in an HH Expedition and just used a standard thermarest pad plus a fleece blanket under my sleeping bag and I was comfortable on a rainy night in the 40s. The only complaint I had was that the fleece blanket would collapse down a bit and allow a bit of cold air by my face. I'm figuring the wings will help alleviate that a bit.

We'll be hitting Springer Mountain on the 14th so wish me luck!

Hammock
    Thunderbird11ft DL
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE APEX Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    REPORT: Well I decided to use a CCF pad from Walmart (cheap) and topped it with my yoga mat and ENO wings from REI and I have a 20 degree synthetic bag...It got down to 30 or a little below the one night and I have to say I slept ok. I was a little chilled but not so I couldnt sleep.My nose was freezing so I will rig something up for that next time but all in all I dont like the pad setup but it got me through will be saving money for an UQ or maybe switch to the Clark I spent the second night in a buddys Clark and was impressed so lot of decisions to make!!