Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,465
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by clwilla View Post
    .....................
    I'm still interested in the [I]idea[I] of hanging gear from a ridge line. It just seems so much more convenient to get at oft used night items (water, light, etc) thank having to dig through a pack. I suppose a hefty set of trial and error is in my near future.

    Thanks.
    Yeah, go for the RL. Always useful for quick set up, plus hanging some items you would like closer by when you are in the hammock, especially lighter items. You can always use RL plus spreader bars. And, of course, one of the major benefits of the top loader design always was the ability to reach outside the hammock to where some of your stuff is, on the ground beside you. So, there are all kinds of acceptable ways to store and get to your gear with this hammock. The spreader bars are just a really cool additional way of hanging gear that the BMBH has that is unique to that hammock.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  2. #12
    Senior Member DGrav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Langhorne, PA
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge v2
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, & DC
    Posts
    412
    When I first got my BMB I was going to add a ridge line to help with setup but after a few nights I decided I didn't need it.

    I do miss having a place to hangs stuff.......................

    So I just had a thought (one in a row!) Tying a string that is slightly longer than my tarps ridgeline from one ridgeline tieout to the other. When the tarp is hung this line would hang under the tarp and would serve as a place to hang stuff. I think I would only leave one end tied one the tarp is packed up this way if I tie the tarp to the trees but leave it in the skins for a quick setup in case of rain I would still have my hand storage line. Any thoughts?

  3. #13
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I did put a ridge line on my BMB for the reasons Grizz stated, to give me some sort of guide line for setting up the hammock.
    I forgot you bought one. What do you think?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  4. #14
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,465
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    When I first got my BMB I was going to add a ridge line to help with setup but after a few nights I decided I didn't need it.

    I do miss having a place to hangs stuff.......................

    So I just had a thought (one in a row!) Tying a string that is slightly longer than my tarps ridgeline from one ridgeline tieout to the other. When the tarp is hung this line would hang under the tarp and would serve as a place to hang stuff. I think I would only leave one end tied one the tarp is packed up this way if I tie the tarp to the trees but leave it in the skins for a quick setup in case of rain I would still have my hand storage line. Any thoughts?
    If I am picturing this correctly, "from one ridgeline tieout to the other", connected outside the tarp? What about water running down the line and dripping on you? Or would this just be for dry weather, or am I just picturing it wrong?
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  5. #15
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,698
    Images
    2
    ALCON,

    The pictures AS shows are confusing and in one case do not show gear on the spreader bars as alleged.

    Picture one is a gear hammock/pack cover. It is hung by its two micro biners to the hammock rings where the spreader bars also attach to the two rings.
    This is a super convenient storage at the hammock end. It places absolutely no lateral stain on the spreader bars

    Piture two shows Smee's nearly empty pack on the spreader bar...the pack and contents are well under 4 pounds....It places a very minimal lateral force on the spreader bar... One should note that if you chose to do this with a full to nearly full pack would probably bend the spreader bar at the coupling point. You should also note that the pack will slide side to side as you get in or out of the hammock. This sliding can be eliminated by tying the straps to the corner rings... Personally we now find that seamingly easy answer a PITA...

    Far better to hang a pack by placing the haul loop thru the primary ring and inserting a tent peg or stick to hold it....Further security/pack stability can be gained by taking the sternum strap around the straps going from the primary ring to the spreadar bar rings...Done

    JRB spreader bars used with the BMBH are delivered with a card attached that cautions not to put lateral force on the bar. Pulling ones body by grasping the spreader bag is specifically cited as as a user damage, and to be avoided.

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

  6. #16
    Senior Member DGrav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Langhorne, PA
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge v2
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, & DC
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If I am picturing this correctly, "from one ridgeline tieout to the other", connected outside the tarp? What about water running down the line and dripping on you? Or would this just be for dry weather, or am I just picturing it wrong?
    DOH! I forgot about dripping water!

  7. #17
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,465
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    DOH! I forgot about dripping water!
    The old drip line and/or knots might keep the water out, maybe.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  8. #18
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    The pictures AS shows are confusing and in one case do not show gear on the spreader bars as alleged.
    The pictures are from your own website, and are the only visual example of the spreader bars that exist from JRB.
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

  9. #19
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bluegrass
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    ALCON,



    Far better to hang a pack by placing the haul loop thru the primary ring and inserting a tent peg or stick to hold it....Further security/pack stability can be gained by taking the sternum strap around the straps going from the primary ring to the spreadar bar rings...Done

    Pan
    I imagine that, rather than using a stake/stick, a biner attached to the haul loop and primary ring is also kosher?

    I'm still going to give a ridge line a fair shake so that I might attach oft-used items.

  10. #20
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,698
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by clwilla View Post
    I imagine that, rather than using a stake/stick, a biner attached to the haul loop and primary ring is also kosher?

    I'm still going to give a ridge line a fair shake so that I might attach oft-used items.
    Sure that will work.... but you have to carry the biner .... ever oz counts....only the newest Camp is under an oz...0.8 and $7.95.... most others are well over an oz..... so 28,30, 35,40 grams or pick up a stick and save the bucks too.

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •