Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member hrairoorah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Beaver, WV
    Posts
    301
    Images
    6

    What hammock do full timers use

    Considering going full time with a hammock. I was curious as to what hammock you full timers use.
    I was thinking of DIY and wondered what material to use since weight will not be an issue and what type of hammock to try and make. My sewing skills are not the best.

  2. #2
    Senior Member ernesthemmingway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Posts
    331
    Images
    3
    I would imagine a choice like that would vary wildly from person to person. I sleep in my ENO a couple nights a week and I love it. Of course, that is also my only hammock right now...
    with two m's, like "hammock."

  3. #3
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    For indoors? Go cotton. Warm and washable, plus very soft.

    I sleep 90% of the year in a Brazilian. The other 10%, when it gets stupid hot, I switch over to a Mayan. Neither of these would be really easy to DIY, but if you're really looking for a comfortable hammock at home and an involved project, either design would be good.
    Trust nobody!

  4. #4
    TrailH4x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Berwick, LA
    Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Posts
    424
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    For indoors? Go cotton. Warm and washable, plus very soft.

    I sleep 90% of the year in a Brazilian. The other 10%, when it gets stupid hot, I switch over to a Mayan. Neither of these would be really easy to DIY, but if you're really looking for a comfortable hammock at home and an involved project, either design would be good.

    Or povide a nice excuse to visite the piramids of Mexico. And come back with a handful of each.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

    "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hatfield, MA
    Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    SOL Escape Bivvy &
    Insulation
    DIY JCP underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Posts
    473
    Images
    68
    DIY 1.1 oz ripstop nylon, single-layer, cinch-end hammock on a DIY hammock stand. I use my new DIY hammock sock to hold a down comforter against the bottom of the hammock.

  6. #6
    olddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Fl
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    UCR SLS
    Posts
    3,627
    Images
    3
    DIY of Sport Nylon. Very soft and comfortable.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

  7. #7
    samiam2714's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Incline Village NV
    Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    298
    Images
    6
    I use a 12' DIY out of 1.5oz rip stop nylon. I am oogling the cotton Brazilians though.
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

    See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

    DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

    Full Time since Dec '11

  8. #8
    Senior Member DemostiX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Posts
    2,325
    Images
    13
    Cannibal:

    Did you write about this preference for one Central/ South American hammock over another in pre-historic times.....by which I mean going as far back as the lazy search engine will go, and then peeling back the curtain on another 99 pages of posts?

    Obviously, you have little sway here, 'cause a request has been made on probably a few occasions, for a forum on all-cotton hammocks, and ........nada

    I'd go that route if I had room / permission for an indoor hammock, following your, Knotty's, and several other practice. Of course, I'd not have discovered all-weather and all winter outdoor set-up, sleep, and take down........

    To the OP: Every night in a Clark, small bed model usually, sometimes big when I want to make believe I've been comp' ed to a hotel suite with a king-size bed and endless really hot water for my shower.

  9. #9
    turnerminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Peterborough,UK
    Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Posts
    1,335
    I use 2 hammocks-a double layer 1.0 and a single layer pertex 1.90z.

    Both are holding up perfectly well but the pertex has nicer feel to it.

    I need to make a hammock with a footbox though, heel pressure is becoming an issue that cushions arent solving.

  10. #10
    tncamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brighton, TN
    Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    681
    +1 on the cotton.
    It'll be alright Friday!


    Check us out at www.buttinasling.com
    HF members get a discount on most items. Use discount code "hfmember".

    We're now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!

    shane@buttinasling.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •