Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Dream Puff

Diy Suspension Questions.

I got my first hammock done and hung up and it is awesome, but I need to clean up my suspension a little bit. I am using some tie down straps I picked up cheap. They are rated for a 1260lbs work load so I figure they could keep my 300 lbs butt off the ground. That being said I have a few questions:

1. I know that tying knots in rope weakens it, does this hold for straps as well? I want to tie loops in the end, I figure they were manufactured with a "bight" to attach to the hardware so knotting a loop in the end doesn't seem like it would be so bad.

2. I did not notice much of a difference between the 300lbs straps and the 1260 lbs straps, (the 1260 were on sale so I won either way). Is the work load rated on tie downs more about the hardware failure point i.e.. the rachets, or the strap?

Thanks.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    I believe a figure 8 knot is commonly used to tie a loop in the end of straps.

I don't know the weak point of the straps you have, but I'd hazard a guess that the raw webbing has a higher breaking strength then the assembly.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Dream Puff
    Thanks for the heads up on the figure eight works perfect. That and a couple of steel rings my suspension is good to go.

The 1260lbs straps are actually 400 lb working load, which is why they looked about the same as the 300lb, I read the fine print on the package, they got me on that one.

Hammock
    still working on my diy

40%

Trying webbing together, weather two straps into one or one strap into a loop will for the weight rating by about 40%

Tarp
    DD hammocks XL
    Suspension
    Webbing and knots
    Im guessing the hardware will not rate as high as the straps, I do some slacklining occasionally and had a pretty bad failure once on a ratchet strap, the strap was fine, the ratchet was most definitely not. Pretty glad on this score, I got a slap with the strap that would have been far more painful if there was a hunk of steel still attached...
    "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission" - Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper