Hammock in a bag?

I am a newbie to hammocks and got my first one, an ENO, last year. While I have only had a few test naps in it, I do hope to camp in it this year. There isn't a lot to hanging one, but it does all add up. You have the hammock itself, the bug net, tarp, straps, ridgeline, etc. The straps and hammock have stuff sacks, I will have to get one for the tarp (Kelty Noah) and maybe one for the bug net. There seems like a simpler method though. Does anyone rig their hammock inside the bug net and under the tarp and then stuff it all into one stuff sack nearly fully rigged? If this can be done, it would seem you could deploy the hammock in a no time which would be nice if it was raining.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Keep the tarp separate. It's a lot dryer to do your hammock set up under a deployed tarp in the rain.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Most folks will advise putting your tarp in a separate bag to allow for hammock setup under cover in case you get rained on, but your use will ultimately determine the method you employ. Good news is, there is no wrong answer. Since I'm in the deep dark swamps of South GA, we have "Zombie Skeeters" that do not fear DEET. I have my ENO Guardian and Doublenest assembled and wrapped up in snakeskins and stored inside a waterproof silnylon bag. Quick deploy and jump in.

When I get my tarp, I'll have it in mesh snakeskins and it'll be in its own breathable bag, in case I'm forced to put it up wet. There are other "sag' issues with connecting a tarp directly to the hammock, but I'll let the experts that actually HAVE tarps speak more intelligently on that subject...

If you manage a method of storing it as one "semi-assembled" unit, by all means please post it.

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Keep the tarp separate, for all of the reasons cited above.

As far as everything else is concerned, have a loooksee at the Lazy Slug Tube sold by Wilderness Logics.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    You can get snakeskins for your tarp and even your hammock aka Lazy Slug Tube, which makes it really fast for setting up.

I posted recently about my reconverted maxpedition bottle holder that now functions as a bishop bag. It holds my hammock and suspension, tree straps and toggles.

Strapped to one side is a tarp off of a small 4 man tent I got off of craigslist and on the other side is a poncho liner converted to an UQ. Works great, keeps everything together.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by secondechomatt View Post
    ...reconverted maxpedition bottle holder...
    Dude I STILL think that rules...

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I just bought a compression sack from the local outdoor shop. I poked a hole to turn it into a Bishop Bag and stuff my ENO doublenest, Hammock Bliss bug net, and PLUQ all in there together. Another hole turned the bag that came with my Kelty Noah 9 into another Bishop Bag for the tarp.
    Last edited by Tim_807; 04-06-2012 at 15:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post

Shnick
    Thanks! I'll update it soon, once I get the tarp and uq situated. My goal is to have a complete package, minus top insulation, all in one easy to manage bundle.

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnick View Post

Shnick
    Haha me too. Ive been trying to talk myself into buying another one. my maxpedition bottle holder is one of my favorite pieces of gear. By the way I managed to stuff my eno hammock and bugnet into it. It makes a great bishop bag.
    with two m's, like "hammock."

• + New Posts