Hammock
    TW XL black at the moment
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Modified mummy bag
    Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    We also don't need bear bags here!
    What the hell is a bear bag? I'm just imagining a tarp with red writing on the side of it saying "GO AWAY BEARS!"

I often think about what it would be like to move to the US just for things like the camping opportunities among other things but the thought of bears always overwhelms me and I know I wouldn't go anywhere near the woods if I went over there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Modified mummy bag
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    To hang in the UK is a little trickier than in some other parts of the world, especially in the fens where you are!

Personally, I head off somewhere usually-Scotland, the Lake district, Wales or Peak District.

Granted, trees to hang from aren't everywhere in the mountains but you'll find that if you check google earth, theres actually plenty of places to go. We do actually have Hammock nirvana in the uk.

See this thread from Shewie

Scotland is no problem, camping is permitted. Elsewhere, stealth common sense and respect is needed. Leave No trace obviously

If I'm out in the mountains and I can't hang, then I just sleep under the tarp held up on hiking poles and take an airmat-it covers both possibilities for minimal weight.

There are meets organized on BCUK too. The Northwood, Cambridgeshire and Rough Close meets on there are no too far from you and full of friendly faces-you can hang your hammock with others of the same ilk

Were not too far apart, might be able to share a lift somewhere sometime.

Hope this helps

Pete (just down the A16)
    That's a brilliant thread you linked there, some amazing pictures, I'm a photographer so things like that really inspire me to get out there with the camera and get on with it (the only drawback being my camera gear would weigh more than the rest of my gear all together).

It would be good to meet some more folks, numerous redundancies has meant i don't get much time to form friendships before I have the whole poverty issue again. Sitting at home looking for jobs doesn't do much for the old social life.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Noid View Post
    What the hell is a bear bag? I'm just imagining a tarp with red writing on the side of it saying "GO AWAY BEARS!"

I often think about what it would be like to move to the US just for things like the camping opportunities among other things but the thought of bears always overwhelms me and I know I wouldn't go anywhere near the woods if I went over there.
    "YOGI GO HOME!"?

Seriously, it's a stuff sack that your food and other smelly items go into. A line is attached to it and thrown over a limb. To hang it properly, you need it to be at least ten feet off of the ground (if I can jump and touch it, it's too low) and six feet from the nearest tree/other item that can hold a bear up. Most folks use the PCT method, which is described here (though I use a cow hitch rather than a clove hitch to hold the toggle). It works pretty well for keeping squirrels and other critters out of your food, too. Though that doesn't require quite as tough tolerances on how far from everything the bag is.

Anyway, bears won't generally attack a human unless said human is doing something stupid or gets between the bear and its offspring. I've seen three bears in the wild--all in the same mile of trail, on the same day. All of 'em turned around and ran as soon as they heard me. Now, it did cause me to rethink where I was going to camp that night, but that's only because a juvenile was involved and I was on a solo trip. If there had not been a cub, or if I'd had someone else with me, I probably would've stuck to my original site that night (within a mile of both sightings).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Noid View Post
    You would probably wild camp for years and never even see a bear. They are a problem in camp spots frequented by folk who have bad camp manners and it is easy to find places far away from these spots. Been an camper, hunter, and fisherman for five decades and (outside of some bad campgrounds) have only seen the back side of bears as they run like scalded cats.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    That just makes me sad I can't imagine not having all the trees that we do. I'll stop complaining about not having decent hanging trees in my yard, because at least there are trees galore here in our country.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    We also don't need bear bags here!
    You are lucky that they can't take ferries

I read this week that a bear was spotted in Switzerland (outside a zoo). The pet is known as W13. They are coming from the balkans and repopulating the alps. Next stop :France.

So bear bags will be soon a must have here . This adds to Wolves & Lynx that were reintroduced some years ago.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Modified mummy bag
    Thank you for all the bear bag info, the link was very interesting and amusing in places.
    I do realise that bears are unlikely to go anywhere near people, but I have an irrational fear of sleeping anywhere near where they could be and being eaten alive. There are few things that I fear but being woken up in the middle of the night is one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    That just makes me sad I can't imagine not having all the trees that we do. I'll stop complaining about not having decent hanging trees in my yard, because at least there are trees galore here in our country.
    I'll take a photograph of my area at some point so you can see how baron it is of trees. Being mainly farmland around here, it's just flat and almost featureless with a few small wooded areas near to the sporadically placed houses.

There are some slightly larger wooded areas around where I shoot so I shall ask the farmer that I shoot for if he minds me spending a few nights there during the summer.

Hammock
    HH Expedition + ukhammocks Woodsman
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Mat
    Suspension
    HH Exp. stock
    If you don't fancy stealthing it to begin with, there are UK campsites that have pitches with trees and are cool with hammocks. A couple I have used (admittedly not in your area) are Blackberry Woods just north of Brighton and Inwood near Basingstoke (and the related Forgewood campsite in Kent.) HTH.
    Last edited by Simon; 04-11-2012 at 06:35.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Scotchbonnet is right Noid - Scotland is brilliant for hanging.

Check out O2's Priority Moments, sometimes National Express do a one way fare of £10 from London to Glasgow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast