Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Eureka Chrysalis
    Tarp
    Eureka Chrysalis
    Suspension
    Slap Straps

Took Eureka Chrysalis to Charles Deam Wilderness--Need Advice!

Took my Eureka Chrysalis to the Charles Deam Wilderness Area outside of Bloomington, IN this weekend.

I continue to love this hammock!

But I had a couple of problems. First, I badly tore the cover. I didn't pull it all the way down to the end before I did a test lay and when I sat, it split about 8-10 inches from the suspension hole. Anyone have a cover only that they want to sell?

Better yet, anybody have suggestions for how I can repair it?

Second, I've *really* got to get an underquilt. I toss and turn all night as it is, so between the slippery hammock, my prolite pad and my slippery sleeping bag, it's like trying to stack marbles on a pitching ship.

I know that people have talked several times about various *ideas* about what we might do, but does anyone have a fairly inexpensive solution? If I've got to spend a couple of hundred bucks for an underquilt, I might as well buy the 2011 version of the Chrysalis with the pad pocket. But I don't WANT to spend $200.

Thanks.

Images
    Someone will give you some good repair advice shortly.

If you get an UQ- and you use the Chrysalis rain cover - how are you going to protect the UQ? Without a separate tarp? ( Something I have been wondering about with the no pad pocket model I have ).
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Sportsman's Guide
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have one of the original models. I think you have to use a separate tarp if you are going to use an under quilt.

Otherwise, as somebody else suggested here, you might make a waterproof sock for your underquilt and attach the quilt inside the sock. If you think about the material that goes into making a sock, you might be just as far ahead with a tarp.

Hammock
    Eureka Chrysalis
    Tarp
    Eureka Chrysalis
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by rbinhood View Post
    I have one of the original models. I think you have to use a separate tarp if you are going to use an under quilt.

Otherwise, as somebody else suggested here, you might make a waterproof sock for your underquilt and attach the quilt inside the sock. If you think about the material that goes into making a sock, you might be just as far ahead with a tarp.
    Aaarrrghh! I hadn't thought of that!

Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Use an SPE for the pads.....or this Hot Spot: http://www.backcountryedge.com/eagle...-hot-spot.aspx
    Carry Forth in comfort.
    Shug
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!

Shug's YouTube Videos

Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

Shug and Friends Jammin'

Hammock
    HHDJ/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Can a second layer be sewn on the bottom of the hammock for a pad??? Or a layer inside for a pad???
    Happy Hangin!!!

AKA BajaHanger

You cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it. -Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Chrysalis (an ENO DN sometimes)
    Tarp
    The 4 Hats Hilton
    Insulation
    DIY Wunder Sling
    Suspension
    TDS
    Have a look.
    This is how I handled the same problem.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=37157

Gumbo and I are very happy with the results. Like you we lve the Chrylsalis! Most comfortable hammock EVAH!!
    So many trees, so little time...
    We follow where the Swamp Fox guides,
    His friends and merry men are we;
    And when the troop of Tarleton rides,
    We burrow in the cypress tree.
    The turfy hammock is our bed,
    Our home is in the red deer's den,
    Our roof, the tree-top overhead,
    For we are wild and hunted men.

Hammock
    Eureka Chrysalis
    Tarp
    Eureka Chrysalis
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    I love the Hot Spot idea, Shug, but I don't think it will fit my pad. Which, oddly, is exactly the same orange Prolite 4 that they use in the picture. I'm going to contact them. The pad is 25 inches at it's widest, but it is tapered, so maybe it will fit.

I would rather have an underquilt but between it and rigging it and waterproofing it, it's all starting to sound kind of fiddly...

And Timberrr, did you ever come up with more specific plans for your idea? And how do you waterproof?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Use an SPE for the pads.....or this Hot Spot: http://www.backcountryedge.com/eagle...-hot-spot.aspx
    Carry Forth in comfort.
    Shug
    Well OK then: looks like someone is making a version of SPE, at last! Wonder if it has a mesh bottom that grips the hammock?
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    Eureka Chrysalis
    Tarp
    Eureka Chrysalis
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    I wonder the same thing about the Hot Spot, Billybob.

How *does* it stop the pad from slipping? I really don't need the insulation, so that doesn't concern me. And how small does it pack?