Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth gathered end. 126x60
    Tarp
    DIY Assym SilNylon
    Insulation
    Down & synth
    Suspension
    Straps & whoopies
    Sleep in some wool (synthetics next my skin is bothersome) and this set up will go down into the 50's F for "warm sleepers". Especially if one wears a hat or a hoodie.
    Transportation for Hiram Farm

Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    Its intended to be a 'summer' quilt...say 65-70 degrees or above...

Of course next fall I'm going to find out how low I can comfortably go with it...just because...
    I've successfully used an unmodified one in the hammock down into the forties with no problem, wearing cotton shorts, a cotton t-shirt, cotton boxers, and a poly/cotton baseball cap. I was warm enough down to 45F. Now, I sleep extremely warm, so it should be good somewhere between 50 and 55F for most folks.

I've successfully used one down to freezing on the ground with a pad. Not comfortably, but at the edge of my, "Well, I guess I should get up and move around to warm up some," zone. That was wearing everything above, except with a wool stocking cap rather than a poly/cotton baseball cap.

With the addition of a $3 fleece throw from Wallyworld (probably 100 wt, and 40" by 60" in size), I've gone as low as 21 F and not frozen to death. Still, I was cold that night and only slept for probably four or five hours. I was wearing a Thinsulate watch cap, a 200-wt fleece longsleeve top, nylon running shorts, synthetic compression boxer/briefs, a longsleeve merino wool shirt under the fleece, and using an hot water bottle.

With the above fleece throw and a good sweatshirt used as a torso booster/draft collar, wearing everything in the example immediately above except swapping out the shorts for heavy nylon sweatpants, dropping the merino wool shirt, and swapping the socks for loose acrylic socks, I've been comfortable down to 25 F. With the addition of a torso-sized piece of CCF to my bottom insulation, I was comfy at 24 F.

Again, very warm sleeper. YMMV.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    According to the 5-day we should be looking at lows in the mid to low 60s here this coming weekend so I'll definitely be giving it a try. I camped out for a couple of nights up in N. GA with lows in the upper 40s over the weekend and thought about giving it a try then but decided to use my 5 oz climashield TQ instead.

Hammock
    Treedscape BigPaw
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Treedscape BigHeat
    Suspension
    Straps + Whoopies
    You can also sew up a quick silk liner from on-sale silk at your local fabric store. Adds some extra degrees to the quilt, and you don't have to bring it in the summer.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" - Elbert Hubbard

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    So I finally got a chance to give the PLTQ a proper test drive. I was a little on the cool side but not uncomfortable when I got up around 5:30 or 6:00 to answer nature's call. I checked my thermometer when I got back to my hammock and saw that the was 56F at the time. Other insulation and sleep clothes consisted of a 2/3 length PLUQ, a light t-shirt, gym shorts and a pair of light cotton socks. If the nighttime temps are about the same I may have to try it with my full length 5 oz climashield UQ next weekend.

All in all I was pretty pleased. Its going to be a nice addition to my warmer weather gear...

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Got in yet another test drive of the PLTQ over the weekend. Low was 59. Used my climashield UQ for bottom insulation and was wearing plain cotton socks, a long pair of lightweight sleep pants and a long sleeve T-shirt. Slept like a rock and didn't even notice it had gotten cool overnight until I got up around 7:00 to go mark my territory.

Once again I suspect that with my climashield UQ I could go a good bit lower before needing to add additional or warmer clothing or other insulation. I'll probably have to wait until fall to answer that one through...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Good to hear that! From what I've read on Climashield, a 5 oz APEX quilt should be good down to about 40 or so for most folks.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Good to hear that! From what I've read on Climashield, a 5 oz APEX quilt should be good down to about 40 or so for most folks.
    FL, I've had the UQ down into the low 20s with a 5 oz Apex TQ and wearing mid weight thermals and heavy socks. Apex is good stuff!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    FL, I've had the UQ down into the low 20s with a 5 oz Apex TQ and wearing mid weight thermals and heavy socks. Apex is good stuff!
    That's impressive. Glad to hear it; my (hopefully) next project is going to be an integrated hammock/insulation system, and APEX plays a large part in it. Just need to get back to work and save enough extra money to cover the materials...hopefully, that'll start some time this month...

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    A year later and anything you would change with this? I have a few PL coming 2 will become my UQ and one a TQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast