Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap

Help figuring out suspension

Ok I have a Hammock Bliss Double hammock. Its a gathered-end (sewn channel) design. It has a fairly long, thick rope threaded through the channel. The ropes are nice and strong, but bulky.

When I bought the hammock I purchased their "deluxe cinching tree straps".
    Seen here:

http://www.hammockbliss.com/Deluxe_Cinching_Straps.html

Which work quite well BTW. What I have been doing thus far is looping both ropes through both loops on the straps together and tying them off with a taut line hitch. It works, is adjustable but I dont trust it. The ropes are bulky, too long and I dont like tying off four ropes to get the hammock up....So....I have been thinking of replacing the stock ropes on the hammock for something like a whoopie sling setup. The problem I am having is that the tree straps have two loops sewn in to ONE end of the strap below the buckle. I am having a heck of a time coming up with a way to attach whoopie slings to these loops because I dont believe I can tie a marlin spike hitch with these loops. So, Im trying to think of other methods like the garda hitch. I can see how I can make a garda hitch work but I have read too many bad things about that setup.

Basically, I have stared at it too long and need some ideas.

Given my setup and these particular straps, what would you guys do?

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    sounds interesting, got any pictures of the straps?
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    No, sorry, the only pictures I have are the ones shown in the link above. I can try to take some better ones if itll help.

I imagine that if i make my own whoopies, I could simply make the adjustable end loop feed through the strap loops when I make the sling. It would be semi permanent but could work. I could attach the other end of the sling to the hammock as described on whoopieslings.com. Hmmmm......I suppose a carabiner through the loops would work as well but I dont really want two carabiners in the already crowded stuff sack thats swen onto the side of the hammock. Anyone want too buy some cinching tree straps? Ha ha.
    Last edited by robv60; 04-15-2012 at 23:35.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Yeah, I guess i'm not really getting the picture of how these straps are made. I don't see why the traditional Marlin Spike Hitch won't work. But if it won't work you can always go buy some cheap ratchet straps from Walmart. I think I paid $10 or under. I might be able to dig up a picture of the packaging
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Found the pic, The straps are 12 foot but you can cut them down to whatever you want.
    straps.jpg
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Here's a better picture of the straps with two loops at the end: bliss.jpg Click on it for a larger view.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I saw something on the site yesterday that dealt with dealing with straps only. A nice vid on a slipped type bowline knot to secure the straps. Have to go look for it.
    Can't copy/paste the link, but it's posted a couple before this by McIntyre.
    Last edited by SnrMoment; 04-16-2012 at 08:08. Reason: link
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Those are the ones. The problem is that the buckle is actually sewn into the strap in the location shown in the picture above. Now, i could simply not ise the buckle at all and simply run the other end of the strap through the two loops when wrapping around the tree then i could tie the hitch in the length of strap..... for that matter i could still use the buckleof and just not use the loops..........ill be damned. Funny how typing things out makrs tour brain click. I believe i just answered my own question.

I just need to forget about the loops and tie the hitch in the loopless end that goes through the buckle (or loops). This gives me two options for securing the straps to the trees and gives me different options for securing the hammock to the straps. Heck, if i use the buckle i could use the loops to secure a tarp ridgeline! All of a sudden these straps just became alot more versatile.

My brain shut down from looking at too many options at once. Thanks guys for helping me out. Whoopie slings here i come!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    There are a couple of things that I would consider in your situation:
    1. The cinch buckle may be the weak link in the suspension at the advertised 500lb rating. The dynamic forces at work may exceed that level when you're in the hammock (no, you don't weigh 500 lbs, but moving around in the hammock may exceed it, especially at shallow hang angles).

2. The bulky supplied ropes can be easily replaced with alternate materials and configurations. See this link addressing the issue specifically:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=51081

I've been enjoying my Hammock Bliss Double for about a year. I changed out the supplied suspension to put in continuous loops through the end channels, and am using Whoopie Slings to get to the simple tree straps and Marlin Spike Hitch. Yup, I had to spend a little bit of money and develop my splicing skills. So far, so good.
    ol' daddy

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    One other consideration: With the cinch buckle straps, the design may, or may not, allow the same degree of loading for the loopless end vs. the looped end. On the other hand, it may not matter which end you're using! Worth checking out, though.
    ol' daddy

• + New Posts