Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    *HangMan*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    OVER YONDER'
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Insulation
    NEOAIR ALL SEASON
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGIN'
    Posts
    160
    Images
    12

    Question Good Idea or Bad?

    I am a cold sleeper, so I am always looking into ways to have a warm sleep.
    What if I would sew a diamond quilt (shape of HH bottom) out of Polartec Wind Pro, then place velcro on areas that will secure the quilt to the hammock interior? Think it would work?

    *Polartec® Wind Pro® - Proprietary yarns and a special knitting technique has created this fleece that blocks 95% of the wind. Has a unique sueded velour fleece for extra durability.

    Here is a website that sells multiple types of Polartec. I'm not sure which fabric would be best for this project. Opinions?

    http://www.milldirecttextiles.com/dept2.asp

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wichita, Ks
    Posts
    657
    Images
    14
    I think a lighter option would be to use a cover for the bottom of your hammock, like the JRB weathershield: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...hield%20T2.htm

    This weighs about 8 oz.

  3. #3
    *HangMan*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    OVER YONDER'
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Insulation
    NEOAIR ALL SEASON
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGIN'
    Posts
    160
    Images
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    I think a lighter option would be to use a cover for the bottom of your hammock, like the JRB weathershield: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...hield%20T2.htm

    This weighs about 8 oz.

    I did check this out. I definitely like the newer version better. 8oz. isn't bad at all either.

  4. #4
    Oh-No's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Smyrna, DE
    Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Posts
    436
    Images
    9
    I too am a cold sleeper. Polartec Wind Pro on the inside might keep me warm to about
    65 degrees but I doubt much lower. Remember your weight is going to compress the Polartec and reduce it's insulating ability. It's just a lot of weight for minimal insulation.
    The JRB underquilt is a much better way to go.

  5. #5
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh-No View Post
    I too am a cold sleeper. Polartec Wind Pro on the inside might keep me warm to about
    65 degrees but I doubt much lower. Remember your weight is going to compress the Polartec and reduce it's insulating ability. It's just a lot of weight for minimal insulation.
    The JRB underquilt is a much better way to go.
    What he said.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  6. #6
    *HangMan*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    OVER YONDER'
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Insulation
    NEOAIR ALL SEASON
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGIN'
    Posts
    160
    Images
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh-No View Post
    Remember your weight is going to compress the Polartec and reduce it's insulating ability. The JRB underquilt is a much better way to go.
    This is true. Big duh on my part..lol. I'm just glad I have a place like this to turn to and ask questions rather than trial and ERROR. Thanks again.

    I just purchased a JRB underquilt...whoohooo go me!

  7. #7
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by GADGETEER View Post
    This is true. Big duh on my part..lol. I'm just glad I have a place like this to turn to and ask questions rather than trial and ERROR. Thanks again.

    I just purchased a JRB underquilt...whoohooo go me!
    Nice choice.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •