Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone ever camped in the mangroves?

I'm looking for some tips on hammock camping in the mangroves. I've done a lot of camping before, but only once with a hammock. I'm looking to kayak to a mangrove island, pitch a hammock in the mangroves and stay there a few days. I had a dry run last weekend to see if it was even possible to set up a hammock in the mangroves. It was a successful dry run, but I didn't set up a tarp/bugnet etc.

Does anyone have any tips? One thing I'm worried about is not having enough mangrove roots in the right places to tie my tarp to. Or that the roots will be too flexible or just break.

As I live in Florida, and summer is approaching, I am almost certain there will be rain and bugs.

Since we will be kayaking and not hiking, weight isn't a huge issue. I just need a functional setup.

Hammock
    byer amazon, eno doublenest, nano 7
    Tarp
    maccat micro
    Insulation
    marmot pinnacle 15
    Suspension
    webs and biners
    bugnet is a must!
    how do you get the forest ready for the party?
    ...you spruce it up!

I've got one coming in the mail. It's the ENO guardian bug net. Have you heard anything about that one?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Mangroves are a tough place to hang and it will almost certainly be bug heaven. You're a brave soul!

The way in which mangroves grow with all the low branches not only make stringing up the hammock a challenge, they can easily shred a bugnet, which could be fatal

In addition, it is illegal in Florida to even trim a branch on a mangrove and the penalties are stiff

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

I will post pictures!

I'm pretty familiar with the area. I've done a lot of boating there, so I know of a few secluded spots where there are sturdy trees at a good distance that are tall enough to give the bug net clearance.

I'll keep all that in mind though. I definitely don't want a bug net that doesn't work out there.

What if I brought one of those cheap green tarps that you put under a tent and put it on the roots under the bug net just for insurrance. do you think that would help protect it?

This is a picture of our dry run. I would have hung it higher if we had the bug net with us for more clearance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Wow! That's a beautiful hammock!
    You should come to a group hang and show it off - I'll be sure to setup far away so I'm not shamed
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

It says you're from south Florida. I am too. Is there a community of hammock fans here?

It was passed down to me from my uncle. I'm pretty sure it was made in mexico in the 80's. Far from a minimalist hammock, but since I'm kayaking the weight is hardly a bother.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I have hung in the mangroves many times,both in the lower Keys and in the Everglades.I highly recommend it.Be sure to get set up before dark and watch out for dead roots,only walk on the live healthy ones or you will go down fast,very fast!After dark shine your light down into the roots and you will see a hundred eyes looking back at you,wolf spiders I think,but they seem to keep their distance.If there are boards around make a walkway under your hammock to give you a little flat ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast