Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Webbing

bag between layers of a double layer bb?

Probably a stupid question, but here goes... My hammock is still not here yet so i cant just go look. Im almost positive this cant work or i would have read about it by now. On a WBBB double layer, could you just stuff a sleeping bag between the layers for insulation, or would both layers be too compressed? If that wouldnt work, wouldnt it make sense for someone to make a hammock that the bottom layer hung far enough below the top layer that you could fill it will you own insulation, like an old sleeping bag or whatever else you could find??? Might be easier(cheaper) than rigging an underquilt? Thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    It would be difficult to figure out how much leeway to give for any particular situation such as changing seasons and what not. Not to mention figuring in the stretch of the hammock body into the equation. Seems to me it would be a rough one to figure out, but with that said, it would be nice.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I have thought the same thing too. I think the hard part would be getting the perfect tension or snugness in the lower layer for your insulation that would neither compress or be so loose as to leave gaps for air to infiltrate. The current systems using shock cord don't have the compression force pushing up from below the insulation that could compromise loft while still keeping it up tight to you on the hammock. That's my 2 cents!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    At one point IIRC DD hammocks advertised their double layer as suitable for an emergency shelter by getting in between the double layers. Whether they still do I don't know and I am not even sure I remember this properly. I'm sure it has been done somewhere. How effective it was when tried I have no clue.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmoore8301 View Post
    Probably a stupid question, but here goes... My hammock is still not here yet so i cant just go look. Im almost positive this cant work or i would have read about it by now. On a WBBB double layer, could you just stuff a sleeping bag between the layers for insulation, or would both layers be too compressed? If that wouldnt work, wouldnt it make sense for someone to make a hammock that the bottom layer hung far enough below the top layer that you could fill it will you own insulation, like an old sleeping bag or whatever else you could find??? Might be easier(cheaper) than rigging an underquilt? Thoughts?
    I use a single layer hammock with a 2QZQ under quilt protector to accomplish this task.
    Most if not all double layer hammocks are designed to support your body weight so the insulation would be compressed quite a bit. Many use CCF pads between the layers since they don't compress so much.
    hth

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have used a 40* bag between the double layers of my DD Frontline. The bag was in the closed position so I actually had double thick insulation. Also between the layers - on top of the bag - I used a windsheild reflector. I was also in another 40* bag inside the hammock. Got down into the 30's and windy and slept warm
    I think that the material used in the two layers is the same size but I don't think the bag compressed as much as it would if I were laying directily on it.
    Maybe the need for room to "fluff" is not that critical.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    IMHO, a cheap, heavy sleeping bag might not compress that much, keeping you warmer. A down or high-quality bag would likely be cold in between the layers...

Very interesting idea for car-campers! A heavy synthetic bag might be more comfortable than a pad!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Webbing
    thats kinda what i was thinking. if a hammock maker used a thicker(less stretchy) 1.7 top layer, and used a bottom layer that was cut larger than the top layer by a couple to a few inches in each direction, you would be able to stuff it with something without compressing it. maybe i need to break out the ol sewing machine and try and start something! lol

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    I thought about this when I first got into this madness. Esp when I read about single layer and double layer hammocks. Heck if you make the lower layer "a box" under your top layer say 2" wide. Basically if you hung the top layer so it was very taunt the lower layer would hang down 2" in a box type form.
    ____________________________________top layer
    [___________________________________] bottom layer

with velcro or zipper to close it off from wind and help keep the heat in?

Hammock
    hh,warbonnet
    Tarp
    mac cat,diy
    Insulation
    JRB,ix underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie,dutch clip

Talking

i have a cheap o bag that i have used in the 30s in a diy 2 layer .if weight is not a concern it is sweet.like laying on the couch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast