Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speer Bug Net

Images

Speer Bug Net

The stock Speer bug net seems too narrow, so I am sewing a new one to attach with full length zips (96") on both sides. I will stitch the ends of the hammock together approx 2" on each end. I have added a structural ridge line which will support the net. Can anyone help me with the dimensions of the new net. I don't want it to constrict the shape of the hammock, but neither do I want it to sag to the point of laying against the occupant and giving the skeeters an easy meal. Anybody been there and done that?
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    The stock Speer bug net seems too narrow, so I am sewing a new one to attach with full length zips (96") on both sides. I will stitch the ends of the hammock together approx 2" on each end. I have added a structural ridge line which will support the net. Can anyone help me with the dimensions of the new net. I don't want it to constrict the shape of the hammock, but neither do I want it to sag to the point of laying against the occupant and giving the skeeters an easy meal. Anybody been there and done that?
    I've made a few larger bugnets. The simplest is to make it 36 to 40 inches wide, but a rectangular bugnet design will allow it to sag towards the ends of the hammock. I have made one that was cut on a curve to better match the hammock but since the hammock isn't tensioned outward all the time, it tends to sag some too... less towards the end but more in the center area. It seemed like six of one, half a dozen of the other when I looked at it.

One thing I did on the last few I made that I am still looking at was to add 3 to 4 inch strips of rip stop nylon along the side edges of the bugnet and sew the Velcro hooks to the RSN. That is more work, of course, and restricts some of your view when looking out of the hammock, but it does help in taming the Velcro hooks and how they snag to the bugnet right where they are sewn on.

With the RSN strips I would go with 40 inches wide and I would go with 36 inch without them. If you use your zipper, you might want to go with around 34 inches since the zipper won't overlap like Velcro does.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Youngblood, Thanks for the response and the benefit of your immense experience. I will give the net some shape, but I am still researching exactly where and how much to cut the curve. Most of my research is based on long hours laying in the hammock, pondering life's most important issues, like how to cut the curve on the new bug net. Since I'm in no hurry, I can research this issue at great length and in great detail. Thanks. DTE

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I am installing bug net on my DIY bridge today. Here is what I plan to do. The qipper is installed on the hammock. I will plcae my wife or daughter in the hammock as a gear tester so the hammock is under load. I will then baste by hand or pin the zipper and bugnet. Bringing the bug spearate the zipper completely and using a zipper foot do one line of stitches where the basting is. Cut the excess material about an inch from the stitches and roll the excess into a seam that is them sewn on the zipper tape. At least that's the theory.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Rev, that sounds like a plan. MrsDougTheElder is not real keen on hopping in the hammock, but I bet I could substitute a sack or two of 'taters!!! Shucks...now I have even more research to do...how many 'taters....????

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The theory, as most theories, woprks to an extent. Unfortunately I think the zipper that I have is not up to the stresses as it does not want to close smoothly and evenly. I also had trouble rolling the net so I covered it with some grosgrain ribbon to give it a finished edge. But it looks like it is either all going to have to come off to replace zippers, or I'll have to find a different way to fasten the bug net to the body.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    Ahhh! The best laid plans of mice and men go oft astray!!!! I have 2 #5 plastic toothed zippers (96" long). Surely they'll work, don'cha think?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I think the smaller of my two zippers is a #5 coil. It was salvaged off something else so I'm not sure whether the zipper is bad or not. But it really don't wanna co-operate. The second is a #10 coil. Even it is balking avoer the stresses. I would be concerned over the lfexibility of a toothed zipper. I'm not sure sure toothed zippers do curves real well. I'm trying to decide what to do. I hate like fury to rip out the zipper. I'd almost rather start over from scratch.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    "They" say coil zippers are best for going around curves. I am hopeful that I can make this thing so there is very little stress on the zippers. I may even suspend the net from it's own bungee cord ridge line instead of the hammock's ridge line so it will have lots of "give". Obviously, I'm not too far along in the planning stage. At least I do have the net and the zippers and the thread. Now all I need is a plan.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I think the smaller of my two zippers is a #5 coil. It was salvaged off something else so I'm not sure whether the zipper is bad or not. But it really don't wanna co-operate. The second is a #10 coil. Even it is balking avoer the stresses. I would be concerned over the lfexibility of a toothed zipper. I'm not sure sure toothed zippers do curves real well. I'm trying to decide what to do. I hate like fury to rip out the zipper. I'd almost rather start over from scratch.
    Are you draping the bugnet over a ridgeline, or lifting it up from the outside. ?

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast