Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SOURTHERN INDIANA
    Posts
    27

    finnaly used my home made hammock

    well me and the wife went out for a over night kayack trip and i finnaly got to use my two hammocks that i made, to make a long story short the trip was good. setting up camp well plain stunk.. first off i forgot the small first aid kit that i all ways carry and of course this time i needed it. darn near cut my thumb off with the small ax i was using to make a couple of stakes for the tarps i was putting up. this was the first time out for the hammocks in an actual have to use or be eaten alive by skeeters situation. so i tore up me shirt and wrapped up my thumb and the wife tied some thin string around it to hold the make shift bandage on. so after that i was laying down in my hammock and i herd this loud pop followed by an immediate sound of Ripping nylon and then me crashing to the ground. what the heck now its close to dark and i didnt feel like paddling 2 miles back to the truck.. so i tied a big knot in the end of the hammock which made it shorter than it shoul have been but i didnt care, at least i had a place to sleep off the ground protected from the skeeters. im still trying to figure out why one ond failed and the other end was fine and the wifes hammock worked just great i think this time im gonna go a different route and use some 1000dnr woodland cordura i know its alot heavier than sil nylon but then i might get a way with out having to use a sleeping pad in it to keep skeeters from biting through it.
    and yes those are cheap poly tarps im gonna get around to making some real tarps as soon as i work out my new hammock. well i checked on my wife the following morning and found her to be snug as a bug in a rug or a hammock so i was glad to hear when she woke up that she slept so great and wasent sore from sleepin on the ground.. these arent the best pics they are taken with my phone..
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,162
    Images
    295

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by TIMfrom_indiana View Post
    well me and the wife went out for a over night kayack trip and i finnaly got to use my two hammocks that i made, to make a long story short the trip was good. setting up camp well plain stunk.. first off i forgot the small first aid kit that i all ways carry and of course this time i needed it. darn near cut my thumb off with the small ax i was using to make a couple of stakes for the tarps i was putting up. this was the first time out for the hammocks in an actual have to use or be eaten alive by skeeters situation. so i tore up me shirt and wrapped up my thumb and the wife tied some thin string around it to hold the make shift bandage on. so after that i was laying down in my hammock and i herd this loud pop followed by an immediate sound of Ripping nylon and then me crashing to the ground. what the heck now its close to dark and i didnt feel like paddling 2 miles back to the truck.. so i tied a big knot in the end of the hammock which made it shorter than it shoul have been but i didnt care, at least i had a place to sleep off the ground protected from the skeeters. im still trying to figure out why one ond failed and the other end was fine and the wifes hammock worked just great i think this time im gonna go a different route and use some 1000dnr woodland cordura i know its alot heavier than sil nylon but then i might get a way with out having to use a sleeping pad in it to keep skeeters from biting through it.
    and yes those are cheap poly tarps im gonna get around to making some real tarps as soon as i work out my new hammock. well i checked on my wife the following morning and found her to be snug as a bug in a rug or a hammock so i was glad to hear when she woke up that she slept so great and wasent sore from sleepin on the ground.. these arent the best pics they are taken with my phone..
    wow great report and geat pics,i cant get enough of kayak camping and hammock habging and i go every weekendneo
    the matrix has you

  3. #3
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,162
    Images
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMfrom_indiana View Post
    well me and the wife went out for a over night kayack trip and i finnaly got to use my two hammocks that i made, to make a long story short the trip was good. setting up camp well plain stunk.. first off i forgot the small first aid kit that i all ways carry and of course this time i needed it. darn near cut my thumb off with the small ax i was using to make a couple of stakes for the tarps i was putting up. this was the first time out for the hammocks in an actual have to use or be eaten alive by skeeters situation. so i tore up me shirt and wrapped up my thumb and the wife tied some thin string around it to hold the make shift bandage on. so after that i was laying down in my hammock and i herd this loud pop followed by an immediate sound of Ripping nylon and then me crashing to the ground. what the heck now its close to dark and i didnt feel like paddling 2 miles back to the truck.. so i tied a big knot in the end of the hammock which made it shorter than it shoul have been but i didnt care, at least i had a place to sleep off the ground protected from the skeeters. im still trying to figure out why one ond failed and the other end was fine and the wifes hammock worked just great i think this time im gonna go a different route and use some 1000dnr woodland cordura i know its alot heavier than sil nylon but then i might get a way with out having to use a sleeping pad in it to keep skeeters from biting through it.
    and yes those are cheap poly tarps im gonna get around to making some real tarps as soon as i work out my new hammock. well i checked on my wife the following morning and found her to be snug as a bug in a rug or a hammock so i was glad to hear when she woke up that she slept so great and wasent sore from sleepin on the ground.. these arent the best pics they are taken with my phone..
    cheap poly tarps work well.i used one for years.i even had one in camoneo
    the matrix has you

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SOURTHERN INDIANA
    Posts
    27
    thanks NEO i wish i had more spare time to do more over nighters in the kayak lots of good times and even better now that i got the wife one too and she loves it..

  5. #5
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,162
    Images
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMfrom_indiana View Post
    thanks NEO i wish i had more spare time to do more over nighters in the kayak lots of good times and even better now that i got the wife one too and she loves it..
    wow thats really cool that your wife goes with you.where do you kayak camp at in indiana.i kayak a lot on the harpeth river and old hickory and percey priest lakes there are lots of islands to camp on on those two lakesneo
    the matrix has you

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SOURTHERN INDIANA
    Posts
    27
    neo we usualy go to the resivour it is surrounded by public land that i usualy hunt come fall..its got a lot of great places to get way back off the beaten path

  7. #7
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,162
    Images
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMfrom_indiana View Post
    neo we usualy go to the resivour it is surrounded by public land that i usualy hunt come fall..its got a lot of great places to get way back off the beaten path
    what lake resovour.i saw animalcontrols kayak camping pics in indiana on lake monroe,looked like a great place to goneo

    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...atid=favorites
    the matrix has you

  8. #8
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,162
    Images
    295
    tim here is a thread i started a few weeks back on hammock forum members that kayak and canoeneo

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4906
    the matrix has you

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SOURTHERN INDIANA
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    what lake resovour.i saw animalcontrols kayak camping pics in indiana on lake monroe,looked like a great place to goneo

    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...atid=favorites


    you hit that one right on the head neo!! it is lake monroe, i usualy stay east of the causeway, its a lot more calmer on that side..

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    115
    Very nice.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •