Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing and Knots

DIY Backpack: Design Phase

Hello all. I am about to embark on a design quest, possibly even build quest once the money comes in. I want to build a backpack similar to a Karrimor Predator, but I have two big issues:
    1- load support. I have no idea where to start on this, but I do know I want the weight on my back, not my shoulders.
    2- patterns. Has anyone done this before? I would love to follow in some footsteps.
    Thanks in advance!
    -Mikums-

Have you looked at the original patterns for the G4 pack that Gossamer released back in 2006? This may or not be of any help to you.

I started making this last week as my first sewing project. Probably a little too ambitious on my part!

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikums View Post
    1- load support. I have no idea where to start on this, but I do know I want the weight on my back, not my shoulders.
    my circuit uses a flexible carbon fiber hoop (think upside down U) for support along with an aluminum stay that runs right down the middle of the pack from top to bottom, have never tried the pack without the hoop so i don't know if just a aluminum stay would work for you or not, but i think that would be the cheapest and easiest way to try and start out

just sew a pocket at the top and bottom of the pack for it, and maybe a sleeve for it to run through and bend it to fit your back

not sure if you could maybe get some sort of thin tent pole to bend enough for the hoop?

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

• + New Posts