DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    No comment about stretch side- I don't have that issue.

The tarp- I like the tarp that has been on the DIY forum recently:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=50816

Because seam sealing is a PEST. (especially if you're not working with sil nylon but PU coated nylon- heavy but functional)

One of the things that swung my decision for who I was going to buy a tarp from (besides the fact that it looked awesome, was in Spinn and that the exchange rate became more favourable) was that it came already seam sealed. (THANKYOU!)

But hey- it might be something you turn out to be much better than me at!

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

I've had a lot of use in my hammock. It's amazingly comfortable...I'm hooked. A lot of my friends have ENO's with no ridgelines, and they all look shrink-wrapped in their hammocks because they stretch them out to the max. Many times they have to do that, just to keep their hammock from stretching down to the ground. So anyway, I'm really grateful for all the help I got on here because I lay flat and comfortable!

And now I'm getting ready to start building my wife's hammock. She liked mine so much that she wants to make her own! Along with that, I bought a 12' Kelty Noah tarp. Now all we need (until it gets colder outside) are some bugnets.

I'm really liking the fronkey bugnet with the shock cord closure underneath.

Can anyone tell me if DIY's 54" wide NoSeeUm netting is wide enough for this? I know I need to get about 7 yards per hammock. Just wasn't sure if fronky's design had a specific width in mind when ordering netting.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Hammock
    hammaka, diy tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    web
    you could just order tulle from tabelclothsfactory its 54" x 40 yards for 19.99
    http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/54...tul_54_blk.htm

Just finished my fronkey style bugnet. Here it is under my 12' Kelty Noah.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343949680.326162.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343949704.913935.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343949805.451514.jpg

I took some extra netting and velcro to make a small gear pocket to hang from my ridgeline.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343949778.986779.jpg

I might finally get my first overnight with this new setup! Any suggestions for keeping cool on a warm SE North Carolina night? The "low" is around 76 F tonight.
    Last edited by FightingTheTide; 08-02-2012 at 18:35.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

I've had a few nights in this hammock now and figured it would be a good time to do some modifications and get some input.

The first change is that I bought supplies to make an UL Asym tarp to replace my Kelty Noah 12. The Noah is HUGE, and much more than I need.

Second - This is where I really need help. I tend to have horrible shoulder and hip pain when I sleep. I am a side-sleeper and I am getting a diagonal lay. My hammock is whipped with a "W" fold. Is there something I am missing here? Should I make another hammock that's shorter? longer? wider? Should I take the W fold out and do a normal gather?

Third - My DIY UQ is made of an old bag and it's huuuuge. I'll switch to a sleeping pad instead. Do I absolutely need a double layer hammock to use a sleeping pad?

My goal - to keep my hammock setup light for backpacking, and in rough weather I can switch to my old backpacking tent.

Thanks again for all the help!
    Last edited by FightingTheTide; 11-27-2012 at 21:52.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, DIY, ENO SN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB GL4, REI SubK
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingTheTide View Post
    Third - My DIY UQ is made of an old bag and it's huuuuge. I'll switch to a sleeping pad instead. Do I absolutely need a double layer hammock to use a sleeping pad?
    I've slept on a pad in a single layer hammock. My pad had the shoulder side pads added to keep them warmer, and that may have helped keep the pad in place.

I new use an under quilt.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingTheTide View Post
    I've had a few nights in this hammock now and figured it would be a good time to do some modifications and get some input.

The first change is that I bought supplies to make an UL Asym tarp to replace my Kelty Noah 12. The Noah is HUGE, and much more than I need.

Second - This is where I really need help. I tend to have horrible shoulder and hip pain when I sleep. I am a side-sleeper and I am getting a diagonal lay. My hammock is whipped with a "W" fold. Is there something I am missing here? Should I make another hammock that's shorter? longer? wider? Should I take the W fold out and do a normal gather?

My goal - to keep my hammock setup light for backpacking, and in rough weather I can switch to my old backpacking tent.

Thanks again for all the help!
    I'd try regathering the ends either with a different fold or using the warbonnet cinch method first, this may help your shoulder and hip pain. You could also try playing with your ridge line to either add or subtract a bit of sag from you hammock. If those don't help you could possibly try an altogether different sized hammock, some prefer longer, some shorter, some wider, some narrower. Even the material used will affect the comfort due to its stretch. You just have to figure out what is best for you. It can take some experimentation to get things absolutely perfect, then you'll never want to carry your tent, no matter the weather.

Instead of going with an Asym tarp, look at a hex tarp. Better coverage for only a few more ounces. Many people use a hex tarp year round despite the weather conditions.

You don't need a double layer to use a pad, although it will help to hold the pad in place better. Have you considered a proper down UQ? If you have patience and half decent sewing skills you can DIY one for under a hundred dollars. Go with a partial length if you want to save a few ounces, just need something to go under calves and feet at that point.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

EDIT - I'm going to start a new thread to keep things simple.
    Last edited by FightingTheTide; 11-28-2012 at 12:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789