Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Any more ideas for endcaps instead of the pot metal ones? (Sadly I'm pushing 270# at the moment)
    Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Asst Scoutmaster of Troop 319, St George, IL

Proud Supporter of Turley Custom Knives & ESEE Knives
    Proud Supporter of Dream Hammocks

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    Any more ideas for endcaps instead of the pot metal ones? (Sadly I'm pushing 270# at the moment)
    I don't think you necessarily need to use endcaps (I'm not). Why not drill a hole through your cross bar near the ends and put a bolt with a nut through that (make sure that everything is smooth and won't tend to abrade your ropes). Then that will sort of act like a toggle when you take a short continuous loop and larkshead it onto the pipe and use the the free hanging part to hook a biner onto. The larksheaded loop will want to slide towards the middle of the pipe but won't be able to because of the nut/bolt.

Just a thought on what you could do as an alternative. I weigh 210ish and am just using a loop wrapped several times around the pipe for hanging it and putting a biner through one of the wraps (look at my photos near the beginning of this thread) and that is working sort of ok. It's not great and I want to eventually come up with a better solution, which is why I have thought of what I just suggested above (I will be trying it in the future if you don't).

Dave
    "Laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure" - Dale Gribble

The Florida Hangers Facebook page and the Florida Hangers web page

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    I'm going to shop for wooden dowel that will fit inside the last 12" of fence rail to beef it up before drilling. I was thinking of an eye bolt, but like your idea better. A whoopie would slip right over the rail, and the bolt would take the load. Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    I don't think you necessarily need to use endcaps (I'm not). Why not drill a hole through your cross bar near the ends and put a bolt with a nut through that (make sure that everything is smooth and won't tend to abrade your ropes). Then that will sort of act like a toggle when you take a short continuous loop and larkshead it onto the pipe and use the the free hanging part to hook a biner onto. The larksheaded loop will want to slide towards the middle of the pipe but won't be able to because of the nut/bolt.

Just a thought on what you could do as an alternative. I weigh 210ish and am just using a loop wrapped several times around the pipe for hanging it and putting a biner through one of the wraps (look at my photos near the beginning of this thread) and that is working sort of ok. It's not great and I want to eventually come up with a better solution, which is why I have thought of what I just suggested above (I will be trying it in the future if you don't).

Dave
    Dave

http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    BMBH
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I like the bolt Idea. Shoulder bolt would be good for this. Really almost anything you could bolt to the pipe as a stop would work or even have welded on. You really only need something that will prevent your suspension from sliding towards the center.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    How about a short piece of smooth metal round stock instead of a bolt. The pressure should hold it from sliding out?
    Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Asst Scoutmaster of Troop 319, St George, IL

Proud Supporter of Turley Custom Knives & ESEE Knives
    Proud Supporter of Dream Hammocks

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    What's the id on those rails? Anybody got a mic?
    Dave

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    What's the id on those rails? Anybody got a mic?
    Couldn't get through the day without one.

I get 1.44 mm
    Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

TDStand Instructions

TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Couldn't get through the day without one.

I get 1.44 mm
    That can't be right...the inside diameter is something over an inch.
    Dave

John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have a piece outside the door here that measures a cat hair under 1.25 ID. Don't have a mic that will split a cat hair.
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    WARNING: slight run-off rant.

OMG, we just went to an area of being annal. I say that just because we left the area in which I understand

Can someone just MOD my stupid, short hammock stand, then make me a removeble one post stand off my deck (I'd like two of those set-ups please), then make me 3 complete portable set-ups that will not drop me, will work correctly, be female friendly (as in I can move them and set them up by myself)?? Is that asking too much?? I'm just so tired of the search for the perfect portable set up for camp grounds, and the perfect yard set-up for the tiny yard that I have.