11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    +1 I.need to replace my mitten hooks. I would love these.
    You two can Pm me your addresses and I will send you a set for free. Honestly they were intended for another purpose. Snore machine used them for this purpose. Maybe I can get some feedback. I was thinking it should be more of a hook, but I rarely use doors so I'm just going by the OP's pictures.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Thanks Dutch! Id be honored to try out some new Dutchware. Ive been using mitten hooks but they are tiresome..........and well arent made by Dutch. I use my doors on occassion but like to secure them on the inside wall mostly. These would make easy work of late night storms.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    I said I'm curious b/c afterwards I thought that perhaps small (size #0) s-biner or even mitten hooks might be nice since they would prevent tangle issues, but you mentioned that you don't need to worry about snagging your lines so what are the design differences? Have a close-up pic?

I've been using the nylon #0 s-biners on tarp rigging for a while now and they work pretty well but I'd be interested in trying Dutch's plastic hooks, they might be more convenient for some applications especially for cold weather.

David

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I found a close up picture today as I was cleaning up my electronic desktops.

“I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
    I found a close up picture today as I was cleaning up my electronic desktops.

I'd like to redesign these to be better for this purpose. I was thinking of having them shaped with the hook turned up like a J. They look like they could pop out with the current version.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    I like the little lip on the inside of the hook.....kinda like a retainer

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    I like the little lip on the inside of the hook.....kinda like a retainer
    Between that little lip and how it leverages the lines, it stays put pretty well on my door lines. I wonder if the flatness of the sides are also contributing to the staying magic. Dunno. It just works.

I'd like to redesign these to be better for this purpose. I was thinking of having them shaped with the hook turned up like a J. They look like they could pop out with the current version.
    The J would be interesting, especially if they could also hook to the plastic triangles/D-rings that are on the WBBB and Switchback and other hammocks/tarp manufacturers. I don't need it, but this would be a good selling point to a more general audience. And of course, Dutch, I'll be happy to try it!
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Very creative! I have a few of those hook thingies and will have to give that a try.

Thanks,

S

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    I think you're on to something w/ the J hook. I'm finding the plastic & alum quilt hook to be very adaptable in large part because of the hook, and I'm much more apt to use them than mitten hooks or even s-biners for most things since I hate dealing with those in the cold.

Maybe a Dutch & Tato designed mitten hook sans gate could be in the future? And come in different cordage sizes? If the Dutch hook didn't carry the titanium price premium and came in larger sizes I'd definitely buy a lot.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    I think you're on to something w/ the J hook. I'm finding the plastic & alum quilt hook to be very adaptable in large part because of the hook, and I'm much more apt to use them than mitten hooks or even s-biners for most things since I hate dealing with those in the cold.

Maybe a Dutch & Tato designed mitten hook sans gate could be in the future? And come in different cordage sizes? If the Dutch hook didn't carry the titanium price premium and came in larger sizes I'd definitely buy a lot.
    bouncing ideas around in my head. It is amazing how any hooks you cn make.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    bouncing ideas around in my head. It is amazing how any hooks you cn make.
    On the subject of hooks, I saw these Q-Loks in the HF store:

http://hammockforumsstore.webs.com/a...s/show/3130592

Says ideal w/ 3-4mm cords, but struck me that having a hook that could work with anything from 1.75mm zing-it up to 1/8" amsteel would be spiffy. By that I mean it can fit onto the cord, and more importantly (to me) it would prevent the hook from sliding down the cord when at an incline without the need for stopper knots.

I've been experimenting w/ hanging my tarp higher using two tarp lines and one of the biggest downsides vs single horizontal CRL is that in order to hang gear I need to attach all of my hooks & biners to prusiks on the RLs to prevent them from sliding towards the tarp. Same reason I tend to not hang things from my suspension (that, and buried amsteel doesn't lend itself to hooks I have). I haven't posted my thoughts on the utility hook yet, but it suffers from slippage in my limited usage thus far.

Upside down "V" shape may work, or perhaps there's a limit to the range of cord diameters a hook could maintain friction on. I thought I had a spray can of black rubberized coating around (can't seem to find it), but I was going to try and spray some of my hooks to see if that helped any. Also having visions of a slick D-shaped spring-loaded design that puts tension on the cord once in the hook, but that's probably a drastic over-complication not to mention the cost..

Anyway, pardon the brainstorm. At the end of the day perhaps using prusiks is the best solution. I'll happily use the quilt hooks where I can for now - just ordered a small handful for DIY projects I have planned over the next month, certainly functional if not always elegant.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast