Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 550
  1. #301
    swankfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    1,447
    Images
    6
    And I think the general consensus on PVC was 3/4 or larger, correct?

  2. #302
    Senior Member alrany187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Along the Straits of Niagara
    Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Posts
    214
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    And I think the general consensus on PVC was 3/4 or larger, correct?
    Can't answer that one for you. I used 3/4" hardwood dowels. I believe there was a fail using PVC, but don't know the specifics. There could have been other factors involved.

    Ellis

  3. #303
    Redoleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pennfield Twp, MI
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Posts
    3,183
    Images
    69
    I have experienced no tippiness and I've been using 1/2" pvc. The pvc that kinked on me was CPVC and the 1/2" variety of that is a lot smaller than schedule 40 PVC. I also had the cpvc inside the channel so it was being bent rather than compressed. YMMV HYOH etc and so on.
    Good luck,
    RED

    My Youtube Channel

    Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

  4. #304
    swankfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    1,447
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I have experienced no tippiness and I've been using 1/2" pvc. The pvc that kinked on me was CPVC and the 1/2" variety of that is a lot smaller than schedule 40 PVC. I also had the cpvc inside the channel so it was being bent rather than compressed. YMMV HYOH etc and so on.
    Just dont want to reinvent the wheel or more importantly take falls others have already taken for me....

  5. #305
    Redoleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pennfield Twp, MI
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Posts
    3,183
    Images
    69
    Lately I've been playing with this. I would prefer a wood spreader bar but this was quicker and already lying around.
    I just took one line and put two fixed eyes in the ends then took two separate pieces of amsteel and inserted them thru the amsteel@ 90 to each other and 90 to the line they were inserted into.... clear as mud? Then tied a wall and crown knot the the pieces of amsteel sticking thru the suspension. I can install and remove the SB at will and it bears up against the knots to keep it from getting all kittywampus on me. The fabric still has a tendency to all want to go to one corner but it still seems to work.





    Good luck,
    RED

    My Youtube Channel

    Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

  6. #306
    Redoleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pennfield Twp, MI
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Posts
    3,183
    Images
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Just dont want to reinvent the wheel or more importantly take falls others have already taken for me....
    Those were valid questions, it is after all, literally your butt on the line here.
    Good luck,
    RED

    My Youtube Channel

    Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

  7. #307
    swankfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    1,447
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Lately I've been playing with this. I would prefer a wood spreader bar but this was quicker and already lying around.
    I just took one line and put two fixed eyes in the ends then took two separate pieces of amsteel and inserted them thru the amsteel@ 90 to each other and 90 to the line they were inserted into.... clear as mud? Then tied a wall and crown knot the the pieces of amsteel sticking thru the suspension. I can install and remove the SB at will and it bears up against the knots to keep it from getting all kittywampus on me. The fabric still has a tendency to all want to go to one corner but it still seems to work.





    Are those the Elephant Trunks? I really like the look and functionality of them. May be making yet another hammock purchase.....and to think I make fun of THOSE people who trick out their cars...I will be about $18k into my hammock when it's over.....geez this forum is killing any hope of my kids getting away from a state school.

  8. #308
    Redoleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pennfield Twp, MI
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Posts
    3,183
    Images
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Are those the Elephant Trunks? I really like the look and functionality of them. May be making yet another hammock purchase.....and to think I make fun of THOSE people who trick out their cars...I will be about $18k into my hammock when it's over.....geez this forum is killing any hope of my kids getting away from a state school.
    I know what you mean, I spend entirely too much time and money on my hammock addiction. Yep, those are elephant trunks, very nice pieces of gear. You gotta get some
    Good luck,
    RED

    My Youtube Channel

    Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

  9. #309
    but enough about me hppyfngy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crozet, Virginia
    Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Posts
    3,217
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    .....geez this forum is killing any hope of my kids getting away from a state school.
    State school is good for them. Builds character.
    Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

    TDStand Instructions

    TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

  10. #310
    Will this work with just a whoopie?

    Jeremy

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •