Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
  1. #21
    Senior Member blackbishop351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Posts
    1,564
    Images
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Did those who made one get the "Gorget" & "Draft Stopper" ?
    For our uses, are either needed?

    If I get one, I'm getting the Alpine Upgrade. I'm torn between black & green, but leaning towards green.

    Doctari.
    NCPatrick got the full deluxe version and the alpine upgrade. I'm helping him get through some of the construction, so I've seen the design up close. Using Ray's standard dimensions, I think the gorget is a needed option for the extra length. I think the draft stopper is a great idea too. The insulation in the alpine upgrade is THICK. REALLY thick. I'd estimate a total loft ~ 2 1/4 - 2 1/2" with both upgraded layers. Way more than I need on top, but I sleep warm. Overall a good design, but it's designed for ground use and could be modified to reduce weight/bulk for use in a hammock IMO.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

  2. #22
    Doctari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Posts
    2,992
    Images
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    What no Camo?
    That's why I may get green, AND a few Magic Markers. Just for you tho

    Doctari.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    That's why I may get green, AND a few Magic Markers. Just for you tho

    Doctari.
    Man, I was itching all of Saturday night after the last trip.

    You might be able to order camo ripstop.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

  4. #24
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    NCPatrick got the full deluxe version and the alpine upgrade. I'm helping him get through some of the construction, so I've seen the design up close. Using Ray's standard dimensions, I think the gorget is a needed option for the extra length. I think the draft stopper is a great idea too. The insulation in the alpine upgrade is THICK. REALLY thick. I'd estimate a total loft ~ 2 1/4 - 2 1/2" with both upgraded layers.

    Yes yes yes... full deluxe!... thick insulation, very thick. Lots of very thick insulation. Lots of loft. Must. Have. More. Loft. Draft stopper, stop the draft... stop the draft with very thick insulation. My precious...



    Sorry, I get a little carried away. I'm almost finished building it, thanks to blackbishop351. I'll post pictures.

  5. #25
    Senior Member blackbishop351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Posts
    1,564
    Images
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post

    Yes yes yes... full deluxe!... thick insulation, very thick. Lots of very thick insulation. Lots of loft. Must. Have. More. Loft. Draft stopper, stop the draft... stop the draft with very thick insulation. My precious...



    Sorry, I get a little carried away. I'm almost finished building it, thanks to blackbishop351. I'll post pictures.
    One quilt to rule them all, one quilt to find them....

    Y'know, I always thought there was something creepy about you...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

  6. #26
    Jazilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Carencro, Louisiana
    Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    1,992
    Images
    108
    Blackbishop351 or NCPatric , are the dimensions of the ray way close to those of Howie's design or bigger. It looks big on the web site. I bet it could almost rap around me 1 1/2 times. What does the draft stopper actually do for a hammock? Does the gorget extend the quilt or just add more insulation around the head?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

  7. #27
    Jazilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Carencro, Louisiana
    Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    1,992
    Images
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Man, I was itching all of Saturday night after the last trip.

    You might be able to order camo ripstop.
    I saw some cammo ripstop on ebay a while back, but it wasn't treated.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

  8. #28
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    One quilt to rule them all, one quilt to find them....

    Y'know, I always thought there was something creepy about you...
    Well, I'm not Gollum-esque, and I don't eat raw fish. I just want to be super warm in my hammock at single digits F.

    That's not creepy!

  9. #29
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Blackbishop351 or NCPatric , are the dimensions of the ray way close to those of Howie's design or bigger. It looks big on the web site. I bet it could almost rap around me 1 1/2 times. What does the draft stopper actually do for a hammock? Does the gorget extend the quilt or just add more insulation around the head?
    I don't know the dimensions of Howie's design. Blackbishop can answer that better than I can. The draft stopper(s) will stop drafts from coming in the sides. The Gorget extends the quilt a bit (and makes a somewhat convex shape) and also adds insulation up around the head end of the quilt.

  10. #30
    Senior Member blackbishop351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Posts
    1,564
    Images
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Blackbishop351 or NCPatric , are the dimensions of the ray way close to those of Howie's design or bigger. It looks big on the web site. I bet it could almost rap around me 1 1/2 times. What does the draft stopper actually do for a hammock? Does the gorget extend the quilt or just add more insulation around the head?
    The dimensions are comparable to Howie's quilt. The draft stopper is intended to...well..stop drafts. Equally as valuable in a hammock as on the ground. The gorget does extend the usable length - think head section of a mummy bag.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •