Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 107
  1. #81
    New Member Brycer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mountain Grove, MO
    Hammock
    DIY double table cloth
    Tarp
    DIY with ridgeline
    Insulation
    Poncho liner DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY
    Posts
    22
    Images
    2
    A great idea. I am a cold sleeper and am looking for simple/lightweight options for staying warm. This idea is versatile and simple. I may give it a try. Where did you get the magnets? Do they rust?
    Hanging in the Ozarks

  2. #82
    Senior Member Hiknhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    DIY "Magna-Hammock"
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Posts
    716
    Images
    1
    I got them at Harbor Freight tools. They have shown no signs of rust. I am ignorant as to their makeup, but I don't think there is any iron component in it to to rust. Only complaints I have read is sometimes the coating can peel.

  3. #83
    Senior Member petez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rockport, MA
    Posts
    146
    Some questions.
    How thick are the magnets you got from HFT? I got some a while ago that claimed to be 1/8 thick and they were
    Then they changed the magnets to 1/16 thick and did not change the packaging .
    Now they are only 1/16 thick with no claim to thickness. Are the 1/16 ones strong enough? Or do I need to double them?
    They are about 5/16 in diameter and come 10 in a package.
    When I pointed this out they said: oooooooooo made in China, so who knows? LOL
    PoleHangin everywhere

  4. #84
    Senior Member Hiknhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    DIY "Magna-Hammock"
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Posts
    716
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by petez View Post
    Some questions.
    How thick are the magnets you got from HFT? I got some a while ago that claimed to be 1/8 thick and they were
    Then they changed the magnets to 1/16 thick and did not change the packaging .
    Now they are only 1/16 thick with no claim to thickness. Are the 1/16 ones strong enough? Or do I need to double them?
    They are about 5/16 in diameter and come 10 in a package.
    When I pointed this out they said: oooooooooo made in China, so who knows? LOL
    Off the top of my head, at the office where I should be working, I'd say they are closer to 1/8. I bought two different batches at several weeks apart, but didn't notice a difference in thickness. It sounds like the ones I bought with 10 per pack. You might want to double the thinner ones. Heaven knows they won't just come apart!

  5. #85
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lodi, CA
    Posts
    21

    Magnets

    This is my first post! Yay for me.

    You can find rare earth magnets, aka Neodymium, at the following URL: http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/p-23-nsn0591.aspx. The smallest ones weigh .01 grams, and are very strong.

  6. #86
    Senior Member Hiknhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    DIY "Magna-Hammock"
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Posts
    716
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by thematt View Post
    This is my first post! Yay for me.

    You can find rare earth magnets, aka Neodymium, at the following URL: http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/p-23-nsn0591.aspx. The smallest ones weigh .01 grams, and are very strong.
    Congrats on your first post thematt! Thanks for the link too. It looks like these can be bought for less than I paid piecemeal from Harbor Freight. Are you planning on building your own Magna Hammock?

  7. #87
    Senior Member petez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rockport, MA
    Posts
    146
    Can't seem to get my head around this. You made the second layer the same size as the hammock? Same width?
    Okay, so when you sleep on the diagonal, how does this affect the under quilt? or is the under quilt also on the diag. Then, if so, why not put the magnets and bottom layer just under where you are laying?
    I just can't see how the second layer will stay against the top layer enough to keep the UQ inplace when you are not in the hammock.
    The same problem must exist in all hammocks with a second layer underneath, not just the magna hammock.
    Or maybe it is not a problem.
    Sometimes I can't even plug in a light cord unless I look at it for a while
    PoleHangin everywhere

  8. #88
    Senior Member Hiknhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    DIY "Magna-Hammock"
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Posts
    716
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by petez View Post
    Can't seem to get my head around this. You made the second layer the same size as the hammock? Same width?
    Okay, so when you sleep on the diagonal, how does this affect the under quilt? or is the under quilt also on the diag. Then, if so, why not put the magnets and bottom layer just under where you are laying?
    I just can't see how the second layer will stay against the top layer enough to keep the UQ inplace when you are not in the hammock.
    The same problem must exist in all hammocks with a second layer underneath, not just the magna hammock.
    Or maybe it is not a problem.
    Sometimes I can't even plug in a light cord unless I look at it for a while
    Good questions petez. Yes, my lower layer is the same size as the main body. If I had to do it over again, I might make it maybe 1 inch longer than the hammock. It still works great, but might be easier. I have the lower layer ends gathered very tightly with gutted paracord in the end channels. As posted a little earlier, I have the cord running through a tiny side-release buckle like comes on many survival bracelets, and this snaps over the amsteel suspension coming out of the end of the hammock itself. This also rides above my structural ridgeline to keep it from slipping. The opening formed is so small that the gathered end of the hammock does not slide through easily at all, so the brunt of the weight is held by the ends, much like any double layer hammock. The magnets just serve to keep the two seams together along the edges. When the ends are in this position, it is as tight as any sewn double layer.

    If I know I will have a thicker insulation with loft requirements, I unsnap the foot end and close it back together below my ridgeline to encircle the hammock body. I have a loop of 1/8 paracord attached to this end and running up to my descending rings that arrests the slide of the lower layer.

    I do angle my insulation on the diagonal, and it has thus far stayed in place very well. Once I am in the hammock, I am free to slide and adjust it where needed because it isn't extremely tight, and the sides are easily opened to put my hands in and adjust because of the magnets. I have an old down/feather bag that I cut up into an UQ, and it stayed right where I wanted it on the Magna Hammock maiden voyage. It might get tricky if using slick silnylon as the lower layer. Might need to rig something to keep your insulation in place. The UQ will slide around when you are not in the hammock, but again, once you are in it, you can get it back into place.

    I used a full size lower layer because I am double purposing it as a poncho. I just cut a head hole into it last night. I have to finish that up and will post pics. Does what I said make sense?

  9. #89
    Senior Member petez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rockport, MA
    Posts
    146
    Thank you for the generous reply.
    It IS starting to make sense now
    PoleHangin everywhere

  10. #90
    Senior Member Hiknhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    DIY "Magna-Hammock"
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Posts
    716
    Images
    1
    Whew! That was a long reply wasn't it?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •