Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    New Member shambling shaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Hammock
    DD Travel (2012)
    Tarp
    DD Tarp XL
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pro 4
    Suspension
    Skin of my teeth
    Posts
    48

    New Set up test.

    One of the new home made bishop bags




    Hammock and tarp tied and ready to deploy.




    Antler toggle fitted




    Might make some antler toggles for my tarp ridge line set up? like Shug has on his Infamous vid.


    This was the test set up two prussic knots one behind each other (idea is that if the end needs to be closed you can drop the end one and not loose tension)





    The view this morning





    --Things I found with the new set up --

    Might make a toggle set up for the tarp prussic knot.

    Need to extend my tarp ridge line just a smidge.

    Softie 3 Merlin Sleeping Bag is not much good at -3/-4 even if in a rab assault bivi

    Using exped compression dry bags for bishop bags works well as the air escapes well when compressed.


    All in all I'm a convert to whoopie slings and marlin knots.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,691
    Images
    7
    SS--Looks really good. Beautiful spot, too! You might want to consider running one end of your tree strap around the tree and through the loop of the other end to cinch the tree tight. Then, make your marlin spike hitch in the tag end of the strap. I'm afraid your straps will slip down the trees the way you have it set up in Picture #3.

    Thanks for posting!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  3. #3
    New Member shambling shaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Hammock
    DD Travel (2012)
    Tarp
    DD Tarp XL
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pro 4
    Suspension
    Skin of my teeth
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    SS--Looks really good. Beautiful spot, too! You might want to consider running one end of your tree strap around the tree and through the loop of the other end to cinch the tree tight. Then, make your marlin spike hitch in the tag end of the strap. I'm afraid your straps will slip down the trees the way you have it set up in Picture #3.

    Thanks for posting!
    Yes you are right, unfortunately I was at max extension, so ordered some new tree huggers and amsteel for some longer whoppie slings. Also the webbing is just flat with no loops.

    The spot is not far from were I live but was dictated by the guy I was with having a tent so he needed flat ground and we wanted to be close enough to chat, all in all a good night out all the food was left uncooked and the beer was all but gone this morning...

  4. #4
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    8,571
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by shambling shaman View Post

    The spot is not far from were I live but was dictated by the guy I was with having a tent so he needed flat ground
    This is precisely one of the two reasons that I left tents behind for hammocks. The other reason was a good night's sleep.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  5. #5
    New Member shambling shaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Hammock
    DD Travel (2012)
    Tarp
    DD Tarp XL
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pro 4
    Suspension
    Skin of my teeth
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    This is precisely one of the two reasons that I left tents behind for hammocks. The other reason was a good night's sleep.
    I do believe he might just be a covert...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •