Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap

Cheap cordage

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I wanted to share a find with everyone. I have some small diameter polypro rope that I have been using for various things around camp and the house. It seems to be decent rope, especially for the cost. Its about 1/8" wide and is diamond braided with a central core. It seems to be low stretch although I havent tested that. I have been using it for my tarp ridgeline and guy outs and it seems adequate enough for that purpose. It holds a knot decently well with a little coaxing and is fairly lightweight. Mind you, it isnt nearly lightweight as Zing-it/Lash-it and I imagine splicing is out of the question. It also doesnt hold nearly as much weight as the zing it. I get it at Wally World in the boasting/marine section for $1.76 for a 45' spool. $7.04 for 180 feet. Works out to be ~$.04 per foot, after tax .It weighs about 2.5 oz for 45' so probably not the best option if youre looking for ultra light weight, Nevertheless, if youre on a budget and need some cord for ridgelines or guyouts, its not a bad option IMHO. Comes in Bright green, pink, orange as well as camo. Ive also seen it at Academy Sports for more $. Heres a pic....

....Later.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Used it for several years for utility cordage, food bag hanging (mainly rodents), etc. Its convenient on the spool. I like that it's so cheap I cut what I need and discard later once it is no longer useful.

IF you want to lighten up a little for similar cost, try braided masons twine. Available at some Walmarts in the tools section and as trot line in the fishing section. Don't get the tarred line though, it's stinky. Home Depot and Lowes have it in the line section, usually in pink and chartreuse green. I found dark green by looking around. Fairly strong, fairly tangle resistant, but not as much as the diamond braid you have, pretty light, lots of footage, uses. Some are rated at 180# break strength IIRC, spliceable if you're very patient AND a good splicer.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Nice find! I need a ridgeline for a chinook im going to get and this should be perfect.. a ridgeline for less than two bucks. thanks for sharing!
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    I've got four rolls in my camping box. Amazing cord for the $$. I've got green, orange, orange and pink (they were out of green).
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I like cord ....stoves too, but that's for a different thread

Hammock
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by djminnesota View Post
    Nice find! I need a ridgeline for a chinook im going to get and this should be perfect.. a ridgeline for less than two bucks. thanks for sharing!
    Which Chinook did you get? I just got my 12x9.6 in the mail a couple of days ago. I havent had a chance to mess with it yet but plan on setting it up tomorrow, sometime. It seems like a darn nice tarp so far. Its much lighter than I expected. Im not a ultra gram saver but I like to shave oz where I can. I was expecting it to be a big heavy mass. It weighed 24 oz. But thats nothing compared to what Im used to. It was packed in the stuff sack folded flat. About 14 by 6 inches or so. You can fold the whole thing in half and reduce its foot print and get rid of the extra stuff sack material.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post

IF you want to lighten up a little for similar cost, try braided masons twine.
    I started to get some masons line based off of a few recommendations but I was, strangely enough, put off a little bit by it being so small. I have a hard enough time tying knots as it is, ha ha. I can see myself switching to it or zing it in the future though. Either that or some dacron kite line.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by robv60 View Post
    Which Chinook did you get? I just got my 12x9.6 in the mail a couple of days ago. I havent had a chance to mess with it yet but plan on setting it up tomorrow, sometime. It seems like a darn nice tarp so far. Its much lighter than I expected. Im not a ultra gram saver but I like to shave oz where I can. I was expecting it to be a big heavy mass. It weighed 24 oz. But thats nothing compared to what Im used to. It was packed in the stuff sack folded flat. About 14 by 6 inches or so. You can fold the whole thing in half and reduce its foot print and get rid of the extra stuff sack material.
    good to know... hoping to get the 12x9.6 soon but have some other stuff i need before i get it
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I use the same stuff (in the camo color; all of 'em are available at WallyWorld, as well) for my tarp's CRL. It's fairly low-stretch--after the first time you really tension it. Expect to have to adjust it the first time or two you set up. After that, you're golden.

I also like braided mason's line, but it is most definitely not low-stretch. It's not as bad as 550 cord, but it sure isn't Amsteel, either. I bring some as general utility line in my emergency kit, just in case, but that's mostly because it's so light and cheap.

Hope it helps!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The cheapest throw line from arborist suppliers is much less expensive than Amsteel. 1/8" polypropolene, for example, from Wesspur. (Slick and Target are the product names @ <$.10 / ft.

(I have listed excess Spectra / Dyneema 1.75mm throw-line to get rid of at less than than price + shipping, after outfitting half a dozen tarps. )

I am sure that nacra533 will not buy lousy mason's line. But, there is some terrible stuff sold as mason's line in the big box home improvement stores, right down there with untempered hammers and similar.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast