Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Tarps

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St Mike, MN
    Hammock
    Eno DN, Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Canopy of Stars
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    21

    Tarps

    So I am taking the plunge and attempting a DIY hammock in prep for a scout project. I can't even consider making a tarp so I am looking for an inexpensive and versatile tarp. Right now I am comparing the Kelty Noah's tarp 9' version to the hennessey octagon to the eno profly/rain fly.

    I really like all the tie outs on the Kelty. Can it be hung successfully in a diamond or a square. I am thinking at 9' it is too narrow to be hung over a hammock as a square. In a diamond it might be too long for some hangs(12+ feet).

    The eno's just look unruly to work with.

    The hennessey just does not have enough tie outs to be versatile but seems to be the best for hammocking.

    I am looking to use this as a shelter for my tent trips with the family so that is why I am looking for versatility and tie outs.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    jbehun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New Ringgold, PA
    Hammock
    WWWB/ HH explorer/DIY
    Tarp
    HH hex / DIY
    Insulation
    BL mamba JRBnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    90
    Images
    10
    Check this tarp out from Sportsmans guide.

    WX2-216629 - Guide Gear® 11x11' Tarp, Green


    Its cheap enough and has many tieouts.

    Joe

  3. #3
    Senior Member mattyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    austin tx
    Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Posts
    496
    My wife uses the kelly 9 in diamond and the Kelly 12 in square. Really depends on the weather. She likes them both. When we car camp we bring the both and use the one she doesnt put over her Hammock as shade.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,166
    Quote Originally Posted by jbehun View Post
    Check this tarp out from Sportsmans guide.

    WX2-216629 - Guide Gear® 11x11' Tarp, Green ...
    You should read this thread before buying an SG tarp just to know what you'd be getting.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St Mike, MN
    Hammock
    Eno DN, Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Canopy of Stars
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    21
    Are the Kelty tarps rainproof? I just saw some reviews that said they were not.

  6. #6
    Kapang!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sac, CA
    Hammock
    SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Zpacks 8x11
    Insulation
    E.E. RevelationX
    Posts
    404
    I'm currently using the Outdoor Products tarp. It's 9.5' x 8' coated nylon. Not the lightest, but great coverage and pretty cheap. It's coated. However, I've yet to test it. Seems pretty darn water proof, unlike the 7' x 5' sold at wally world.

    Here's a link to REI (where I got mine) http://www.rei.com/product/766381/ou...ted-tarp-9-x-7

    Here's a pic of it w/ my set up.


  7. #7
    Oms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    La Grange Park, IL
    Hammock
    BB 1.1-1.7 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES, WB
    Insulation
    HG, WB, Nunatak
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Posts
    1,006
    For not a whole lot more money then the Kelty, check out a regular silnylon 8x10 from OES. http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ular_tarps.php Great tarp with great coverage.

  8. #8
    cataraftgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Hammock
    Trek Light double
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing & CB
    Posts
    1,155
    Wilderness Logics Big Daddy tarp. On sale for $90 this month. Well made, great customer service, and you will get your tarp fast. Marty is awesome to work with and he could probably add some extra tie outs for you. I have used a Kelty Noah 9 and 12 in the past. Sturdy and rain proof, but not my favorite as tarps go.
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 05-26-2012 at 14:41.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Posts
    3,894
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by PowderKEG View Post
    Are the Kelty tarps rainproof? I just saw some reviews that said they were not.
    It's the first time I have heard that about Kelty so I checked their site. 10 reviews and 2 complain. One had an interesting point:
    "I really like the ability to hang the tarp UNDER a rope, because otherwise the water tends to run down the rope and leak inside."

    That does leave me wondering... YMMV. I would try a Kelty Noah if I was looking.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    5

    Kelty 9

    Quote Originally Posted by PowderKEG View Post
    So I am taking the plunge and attempting a DIY hammock in prep for a scout project. I can't even consider making a tarp so I am looking for an inexpensive and versatile tarp. Right now I am comparing the Kelty Noah's tarp 9' version to the hennessey octagon to the eno profly/rain fly.

    I really like all the tie outs on the Kelty. Can it be hung successfully in a diamond or a square. I am thinking at 9' it is too narrow to be hung over a hammock as a square. In a diamond it might be too long for some hangs(12+ feet).

    The eno's just look unruly to work with.

    The hennessey just does not have enough tie outs to be versatile but seems to be the best for hammocking.

    I am looking to use this as a shelter for my tent trips with the family so that is why I am looking for versatility and tie outs.

    Thanks for any help.
    Hey PowderKeg,

    I've used the Kelty Noah 9 on several multi-night hangs and it works great above my ENO DN. This past weekend it kept me nice and dry through some pretty heavy rain.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •