Tarp
    HG4S cuben/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

WTB Aluminum ring for Fosters pot

Hey guys looking for a ring so I can cut down my Fosters pot. Would like a lid to go with it also.
    -Jon-
    Beware of the man who owns one gun, he probably shoots it well.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    MLD UL Tarp
    Insulation
    20* Bag as pea pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here is a link to a lid, ring and fiberglass wrap combo. You can buy the items separately from his site as well.

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cott...-can-cook-pot/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Also a tuna can is the right size for a diy version.

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    I use the ones from Smokeeater908 and they work great nice fit and very sturdy.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    DIY Vinyl-for now
    Insulation
    Pad w/sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I used a tuna can. I flared the bottom lip of the tuna can ring inwards just a bit and then used the top of the Fosters can as a lid. I trimmed some of the height off the can, cutting just above the "F". For the lid, I cut it at just the point where the can was at full diameter from the top and rolled the sharp edge under.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images

Tuna Cans Are Steel. Catfood Cans Are Aluminum

Not that it necessarily matters here, but I noted while feeding Hanky that his cans are aluminum--and the pull-top leaves a nice "ledge" for a lid in the Foster's can pot. However, my flaring process was unfruitful and I ruined my first attempt. I will post photos, though, because I think I'm on to something. I like the Foster's pot concept, but I just can't see paying the 25-30 dollars you end up shucking off for a Foster's pot. Considering that the pot is fully functional left just as a fosters can--opening up the top then closing it again with a lip seems senseless.

Question--what are the differences between the Smookeeter and MBD pot rings? Is there a more reasonable deal out there? A ring of aluminum, once mass produced--as in Tinny's case--can't possibly require such a markup. I mean, some of the prices are insane. (And I love the man and his ideas.)

So. Foster's Kitty-cat pot, here we come. Stay posted.
    "We all do better when we all do better."
    -Senator Paul Wellstone (RIP)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kc7fys View Post
    Not that it necessarily matters here, but I noted while feeding Hanky that his cans are aluminum--and the pull-top leaves a nice "ledge" for a lid in the Foster's can pot. However, my flaring process was unfruitful and I ruined my first attempt. I will post photos, though, because I think I'm on to something. I like the Foster's pot concept, but I just can't see paying the 25-30 dollars you end up shucking off for a Foster's pot. Considering that the pot is fully functional left just as a fosters can--opening up the top then closing it again with a lip seems senseless.

Question--what are the differences between the Smookeeter and MBD pot rings? Is there a more reasonable deal out there? A ring of aluminum, once mass produced--as in Tinny's case--can't possibly require such a markup. I mean, some of the prices are insane. (And I love the man and his ideas.)

Well, I destroyed a few cans, learned some stuff, but in general came out happy with my results. Balking at the purchase price of those aluminum rings offered by very fine pot-makers (who I shall continue to endorse and patronize), I wanted to do this myself. But all the tuna can stuff turned me off--it's ferrous, so you're going to have rust. Not acceptable!
    Anyway, Hanky, our lovable mouser donated a few of his Friskies "Meaty Bits" cans to the cause. I started out just looking for a sleeve to press-fit into the Foster's can--but I got more. To quote Marty DiBergi "a whole lot more."
    Turns out that bottom I sliced off looks awful like a lid--and it sits perfectly on the little flange created by the pull-top catfood can.
    I'm sure my discovery is not at all new, but it was new to me, and will look good in the BWCA next week. Take a look at my pictures. Some useful and some useless prototypes.
    Everything press-fitted, and cut with either a single-edge razor blade or a utility knife blade c-clamped to the workbench at various heights, rotating the can to score it deeply before detaching.
    The cute little wooden bowl knobs are from Ax-man Surplus in St. Paul, MN.
    Enjoy.
    Jonathan "KC7FYS"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest... So far
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Cheeseburgers
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by kc7fys View Post

I just gave away a Smokeater908 ring and lid in the PIF section a couple of weeks ago, The only reason I let it go was because my kit(s) went a different direction but I can tell you that it is well worth the coin I tried it out with different cans boiled "who knows" how many cups of water and it still looked new and the lid fit perfectly.

"if" I ever decide to build another light weight kit I won't hesitate to buy another one.

My .02
    "Think Outside the Tent"

Hammock
    BRIDGE!!!!
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Downy Love
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf
    Quote Originally Posted by The J Meister View Post
    I used a tuna can. I flared the bottom lip of the tuna can ring inwards just a bit and then used the top of the Fosters can as a lid. I trimmed some of the height off the can, cutting just above the "F". For the lid, I cut it at just the point where the can was at full diameter from the top and rolled the sharp edge under.
    Rust on your Steel Tuna Ring. That was the problem I had with the DIY Version.

So My last version of the DIY Ring I used a Pull top can so my lid rested on the lip. Painted the ring with gunkote (No rusting and gunkote does not spray on thick)

But over time that had issues and the Lid I made got messed up.

So at the end of the day I spent more $$ trying different DIY Options than I would have just buying a Ring and Lid for 18 bucks.

Now I use the ring and lid In the Foster can. Several things I like about this set up, the main one being the fact I can switch it out to a new pot if needed.
    Hoot's YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe!

Hoot's Facebook Page - Visit it and give it a Like!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Rust on your Steel Tuna Ring. That was the problem I had with the DIY Version.

Now I use the ring and lid In the Foster can. Several things I like about this set up, the main one being the fact I can switch it out to a new pot if needed.
    I have to say I probably agree with you. Twenty bucks these days for something made by hand in America--I can get into that. And it's for fun anyway. I'm buyin!
    Thanks.