Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: outdoor bedroom

  1. #11
    Senior Member DemostiX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Posts
    2,325
    Images
    13
    It can be even worse after 10 months sleeping in a hammock.

    Only comfortable success has been on the back I've been retrained to sleep on more comfortably.

  2. #12
    old4hats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ball Ground, Ga.
    Posts
    1,871
    I am planning for the winter. We have an upstairs area that isn't really used except for storage, and I am setting up an indoor hanging room. It isn't heated but will at least be wind and rain free. UQ's and TQ's will take care of that issue. I will have space to hang my clark and also a gathered end diy, so I think I will be in good shape. It is true, once you start sleeping in a hammock regularly, it is really difficult to go back to bed.

  3. #13
    old4hats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ball Ground, Ga.
    Posts
    1,871
    Weather update, yesterday a cold front came through, low was in the 71 area for previous days and last night was 52, quite a change, and way low humidity. Wonderful night for hammock sleeping. No worries, heat will make a return, always does.

  4. #14
    Doctari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Posts
    2,992
    Images
    30
    I somehow missed the original posting of this, bummer!

    Ive been thinking of building a small shed (about 12' X 6', roughly 6' tall walls & a 3' peak) to hang "outside" in / under. My reasoning: I like being outside, but setting up every night, even though it only takes me 5 minutes (& about 8 to take down to go to work, , at 0430) doing so at home has gotten a bit old. Don't mind doing so on trail, but that's a whole different mind set.

    Going to leave room for a small wood stove & a folding desk n chair, sort of a ultra primitive "Man Cave" May even put electricity in it for a light & radio.
    Minimal insulation (got my quilts for that) & the stove will be installed years from now & then only for while reading or on days colder than the lower teens.

    Just need to find the time & cash. Got the skills. Thanks for the inspiration.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

  5. #15
    Senior Member ShadowAlpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NW Georgia
    Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Posts
    2,280
    Images
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    Weather update, yesterday a cold front came through, low was in the 71 area for previous days and last night was 52, quite a change, and way low humidity. Wonderful night for hammock sleeping. No worries, heat will make a return, always does.
    Ssssssshhh. Dont want the heat to return. Well not until next summer. Been sitting on back deck all night

  6. #16
    old4hats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ball Ground, Ga.
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I somehow missed the original posting of this, bummer!

    Ive been thinking of building a small shed (about 12' X 6', roughly 6' tall walls & a 3' peak) to hang "outside" in / under. My reasoning: I like being outside, but setting up every night, even though it only takes me 5 minutes (& about 8 to take down to go to work, , at 0430) doing so at home has gotten a bit old. Don't mind doing so on trail, but that's a whole different mind set.

    Going to leave room for a small wood stove & a folding desk n chair, sort of a ultra primitive "Man Cave" May even put electricity in it for a light & radio.
    Minimal insulation (got my quilts for that) & the stove will be installed years from now & then only for while reading or on days colder than the lower teens.

    Just need to find the time & cash. Got the skills. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Wow, didn't know I could be inspiring, and thanks. Truth is I have planned and replanned something similar to what you mention, but for whatever reason it doesn't happen. Being outside is just esthetically better, fresh air, crickets, etc. Hope you get yours going soon.

  7. #17
    old4hats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ball Ground, Ga.
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    Ssssssshhh. Dont want the heat to return. Well not until next summer. Been sitting on back deck all night
    So far so good, nights still nice and cool, beautiful. If heat does make a come back, it will be short lived. I am looking forward to some winter camping, even in some of our wet snow.

  8. #18
    old4hats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ball Ground, Ga.
    Posts
    1,871
    As of tonight, my Clark NX250 with Vertex rain fly, has been set up out in my yard for 117 consecutive days. It is not in direct sun, but gets some sun. The Vertex fly shows no signs of fatigue and hangs great. The hammock shows no visible signs of change either, and perhaps it is only my imagination, but it seems to sleep better every night. I am using a diy synthetic uq which works great so far, with high 30's being as cold as it has gotten as yet. Soon I will bring the rig inside for the winter, I now have a whole room upstairs just for hanging, wooohooo! Observation: this gear is tough.

  9. #19
    Senior Member DemostiX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Posts
    2,325
    Images
    13

    Tough Vertex rain fly

    I hope you will post pics of your rig, with Vertex tarp.

    And when you do, consider posting them in the General Hammock talk forum or in the weather protection forum. Life of sil nylon in the sun is of general interest. It is nylon ,though,and I think you have been doing some torture testing, because UV is not kind to nylon.

    Maybe next year a couple of sleeves, one waterproof for the NX, and the other breathable for the (damp or wet) tarp.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 09-27-2012 at 01:34.

  10. #20
    old4hats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ball Ground, Ga.
    Posts
    1,871
    Last night I struck my outdoor camp and took up residence in my new indoor quarters. A new thread on gen. hammock talk forum "I moved indoors" now is where I am posting. I am continuing to use the NX250 nightly. I have a couple of diy gathered end hammocks from table cloths which are nice but I can't make myself try them for the night, maybe later. See you over there.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •