HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    BarberMike,
    glad you found us-the ones in the airships
    You've probably already figured they are several completely breathable socks out there that require a tarp or to be used when its seriously cold that all precip is solid and will fall off the sock.
    We wanted a sock that can be used year around without regard to temperature--well except when tis just too hot to use one.
    We've made leaps of progress manipulating cuben and breathable cuben and momentum 50. I think we are on the verge simply because Hangnout's mind never stops.
    He's already working on the 3rd gen sock based on all that we've learned over the first two-the Dirigible and the Graf.
    You've already guessed that cuben and w/b cuben are outrageos in cost but Hangnout this past weekend on the Big South Fork hike unveiled what promises to be an affordable (or more affordable than wb/cuben) version.
    Stay tuned for the 3rd gen's unveiling sometime this winter.
    Condensation is a hard reality but there are tricks up Hangnout's sleeve.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Cant wait to see the 3rd gen. what I really like about the idea is the integration of the rain resistance/tarp built into the sock!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

tarp built in, is good

But what you'll love more than anything is an almost instant setup.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Thumbs up I think

We are all waiting eagerly. This is the thread that gets my blood pumping when I see there is an update.

Nice to know this project is going forward. And Thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

We are taking notes....

Voivalin, each trip has been different for humidity, temps, hammocks used, and the topquilts and underquilts chosen. I think I'm up to either 34 or 36 nights in the socks not. I'm getting a good idea of what works for me and in which circumstance BUT not yet in the deep cold. 26F is just not cold enough and it will be another 1.5 to 2 months before we see how they do in the 10F and below range.
    We can all make bets. I remember on Mt.Rogers taking a spinnUL tarp all the way to the ground, it had doors on each end so in effect I was in a completely non breathable single wall tent. In the morning I tapped the tarped and sang the song 'Let is snow let it snow let it snow'. In either the Dirigible, the Graf or the AirShip (still on the drawing board) I would expect the same outcome but we won't know until we know.
    That event just described is of no concern to me-when all is solid and falls off and away-give it a shake and be done with it. The experience Poof had last weekend is different--granted we chose a super cold and wet spot. What we learned on that outing was the CPC (contact point condensation) talked about in the other thread...so we had to put on the thinking caps and discover why it happened when it hadn't happened before.
    One thing she changed was using a larger hammock that decreased room for the UQ pushing it against the wall.
    There is an easy fix for that-go back to the other hammock that was tried and true OR simply drop a backpack/whatever in the bottom of the sock to keep it away from the underquilt.
    One could stake down the back side of the sock, might want to do that anyway if the winds were absolutely over the top horrendous but I've been in horrendous winds in a sock and staking down was never necessary...staking down in this case just to maintain the air gap between sock and UQ.
    The other thing put in our face on the Big South Fork trip was that Ragnal went up hill while we were headed downhill to the cold creek side. Even muttering to ourselves that warmth was up while we were headed down-it is a principle of mountain survival, you dont want to be on the top or in the valley but somewhere in the middle.
    Another thing we learned, as pointed out above, with these ultralight synthetic socks that want to breath, is that the hammock choice is also important and moreso how much a particular individual puts out moisture in their sleep.
    All that said the 3rd gen is truly brilliant. You think after 2 of them I'd be over the excitement but the AirShip is going to rock.....if Hangnout can keep the weight magical and I don't have any doubts.
    ...forgot something
    The 1st and 2cd gen HNO made were properly sized to fit a Warbonnet Traveler.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images

Silnylon/Driducks hammock shelter

Here is a short video of the silnylon/driducks version of the WP/B hammock shelter. This is just a first prototype. 2sticks has used it on the trail and I have spent several nights testing. Working on a 2nd version that will be highly breathable with the same weather protection (hopefully)

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Awesome!
    How is it you can show in 5 min's what I've been trying to show in a year and a half!
    2sticks makes a sharp looking model....maybe in the next promo she can do the talking too! HA! Just teasing.
    You know I even like the colors of that sock...in some ways they are more stealthy than the cuben/wb cuben models.

This past weekend when packing everything up using the one bag method you demonstrated so well I forgot I'd left a thin ccf pad between the layers and it was
    almost body length; it stuffed just fine except at the end I almost ran out of room
    but didn't figure it out until setting up the next night.

Breathable at feet and face is a good thing Poof has figured out.

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    2sticks is a great gear test subject. She will not hesitate to tell me when she is cold

On the BSF trip everytime I checked on her she "gave feedback" on letting the cold air in

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Insulation
    Self-inflating pad
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Couple of quick questions (hopefully)

1. I'm assuming you've now had lots of time to test out this design. How has the condensation been with just that rectangle of breathable material?

2. Why not ditch the sil completely and build the whole thing out of WP/B material?

This looks fantastic and I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the 'AirShip'. Keep up the good work!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudedice View Post
    Couple of quick questions (hopefully)

1. I'm assuming you've now had lots of time to test out this design. How has the condensation been with just that rectangle of breathable material?

2. Why not ditch the sil completely and build the whole thing out of WP/B material?

This looks fantastic and I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the 'AirShip'. Keep up the good work!
    I can't speak to the first question, but I can guess that the answer to the second question is cost. The material is $60 per yard. While, I'm sure it is doable you'd be looking at around $500 (guessing based off rough eyeball estimates) just for material (before shipping) to build it entirely out of the WP/B Cuben.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast