Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

No Slip Whipping

First I want to say thanks to those that contribute all of the great content to this site, there is a wealth of knowledge of experience here. And secondly I thought after my initial experience of making a tablecloth hammock I wanted to share an idea for whipping that appears to be almost an idiot proof (myself included, one of my whipped ends slipped on the 1st attempt). I have worked around communications equipment and always been impressed with the craftsmanship of the guys that installed the cable lacing. The material they used predominately until the '80's is a wax covered nylon cord that would rip thru your skin rather than break. See below:

I haven't tried it yet but I' wondering if anyone has incorporated an adhesive element to whipping? Check out the lacing guide from the Navy.

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/cabling/part5.htm

From the guide:

So seasoned hammock experts, good idea, good application of material or a newby looking to solve a problem that doesn't really exist? I have been known to over engineer/build things.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    This whipping method is great. Works well. I still prefer the gutted paracord. Also find no need for adhesives and wouldn't use them if I could help it. One never knows when you might want to change your whipping or your gather to try something else. I like mine to be so that I can take them apart if I want to.

Also, I would be concerned that some adhesives might affect the integrity of the fabric.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I understand the concern about adhesives and agree, while waxed cord would not present the same problem as adhesives I see it may not be reusable but then I imagine you can't reuse the paracord either. It seems that the only negative would be the wax residue on the hammock. Do you replace the whipping alot? Do you remove it when washing?

Do you use a set or specific number of wraps?

Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    This whipping method is great. Works well. I still prefer the gutted paracord. Also find no need for adhesives and wouldn't use them if I could help it. One never knows when you might want to change your whipping or your gather to try something else. I like mine to be so that I can take them apart if I want to.

Also, I would be concerned that some adhesives might affect the integrity of the fabric.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Been using polyester cable laciing tape around the house for years, almost used up a whole 1000' spool.

It's not an adhesive tape, only a tape in terms of it's shape, so thin you would probably never notice the 10yrds I have wrapped on my hiking pole under a layer of electrical tape. I use it for misc & repairs, it threads through a carpet needle that I carry in my kit. Grades range from 55lb test on up. The stuff in the pic is .0015" thick and .0085" wide. One of it's best qualities is it's knot holding ability which seems a little counter intuitive see that it's wax coated.

Thanks Dirtwheels for coming up with a great DIY application for this stuff.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Where is this stuff available? It looks great.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    You're most welcome. Check out the coated product available from Newark Electronics.

Here is the data sheet, for the PVC coated braided nylon, I thought it was too small but maybe not and considering it's $9/25 meters for the 1.2 mm and $8/25 meters for the .9 mm and you have multiple uses for it it might make a handy addition to a gear list.

http://www.newark.com/pro-power/8140...cessories_None

Data sheet here: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/318666.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    Been using polyester cable laciing tape around the house for years, almost used up a whole 1000' spool.

It's not an adhesive tape, only a tape in terms of it's shape, so thin you would probably never notice the 10yrds I have wrapped on my hiking pole under a layer of electrical tape. I use it for misc & repairs, it threads through a carpet needle that I carry in my kit. Grades range from 55lb test on up. The stuff in the pic is .0015" thick and .0085" wide. One of it's best qualities is it's knot holding ability which seems a little counter intuitive see that it's wax coated.

Thanks Dirtwheels for coming up with a great DIY application for this stuff.

David

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Newark has 457 meters for $50 bucks.

http://www.newark.com/lacing-cord

Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Where is this stuff available? It looks great.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    You know, I'm thinking this stuff would be of interest to bushcrafters, I've wrapped knife handles with it, stitched leather, cordura, blue jeans. I've even used it as a compression clamp for glueing wood repairs on scarf joints because you can put so much tension on it as you wrap it. Amazing stuff really!

The part I dig is that a 1500 ft spool is the size of your fist.

David

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    It may well be, it's water proof, it's super strong it'll cut you before it breaks, and available in various sizes and coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    You know, I'm thinking this stuff would be of interest to bushcrafters, I've wrapped knife handles with it, stitched leather, cordura, blue jeans. I've even used it as a compression clamp for glueing wood repairs on scarf joints because you can put so much tension on it as you wrap it. Amazing stuff really!

The part I dig is that a 1500 ft spool is the size of your fist.

David

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    I'm with hppyfngy, the gutted Paracord works well well and the ends stay tucked in without the need for adhesive. The PVC coated braided nylon looks to be a great product as well but probably overkill. But with so many uses for the product it might be worth having on hand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast