Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    HappyCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WV
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, 1.1 single
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Posts
    3,523
    Images
    47

    Where's pic of Hennessy line and rings

    I want to keep the original Hennessy line on my hammock but want to try something else besides the figure 8 for hanging it. I seem to remember someone posting a picture of using tree huggers with rings in one of the hugger end loops. Then they ran line of Hennessy hammock through rings as the suspension.

    Can someone point me to that picture? I've attached pictures of what I did.

    I've made huggers with rings but my Hennessy line slips on the rings when I put weight on my hammock. Want to see someone else's pictures to see how they make the lashing through the 2 rings.

    I thread the line through the rings but without 2 half hitches to finish it out, it slips. When I put my full weight on hammock the half hitches get really tight and it's hard to readjust which is why I want the rings in the first place.

    If I can't do better, I might as well stick with figure 8 with regular tree huggers.

    Also with the way I am threading the line through the rings right now it seems like there is A LOT of pressure on the one spot where the rings clamped down on the line. Doesn't that do damage to the line in that spot? Or am I just being paranoid? Will take help and suggestions. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,298
    Images
    101
    Try sewing the rings into the loop as tightly as you can. In other words run another line of stitching right up close to the rings. The rings want to be pinched tightly in the webbing. Or... you could accomplish a similar thing by running a piece of rope through the loop in the webbing and attaching the rings with a prussic. Then run the suspension rope through the rings as you did.

    As an alternative... unitl I decided to divest myself of the stock rope entirely, I attached the rings near the whipping on the suspension rope and ran webbing from the tree to the rings. I finally decided I liked the system so much that I cut and locked off the stock ropes. Now I just hang with webbing and ring buckles.

    here's another thought... attach the rings with a prussic to the suspension lines. Run the suspension line through the huggers and bring them back to the rings and thread them there.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 08-24-2008 at 13:45.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  3. #3
    Senior Member Perkolady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NE GA
    Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Posts
    1,178
    Images
    29
    Ramblinrev,
    Do you have a photo of yours somewhere on here? (for us visual learners?)

    Perkolady

  4. #4
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    I want to keep the original Hennessy line on my hammock but want to try something else besides the figure 8 for hanging it. I seem to remember someone posting a picture of using tree huggers with rings in one of the hugger end loops. Then they ran line of Hennessy hammock through rings as the suspension.

    Can someone point me to that picture? I've attached pictures of what I did.

    I've made huggers with rings but my Hennessy line slips on the rings when I put weight on my hammock. Want to see someone else's pictures to see how they make the lashing through the 2 rings.

    I thread the line through the rings but without 2 half hitches to finish it out, it slips. When I put my full weight on hammock the half hitches get really tight and it's hard to readjust which is why I want the rings in the first place.

    If I can't do better, I might as well stick with figure 8 with regular tree huggers.

    Also with the way I am threading the line through the rings right now it seems like there is A LOT of pressure on the one spot where the rings clamped down on the line. Doesn't that do damage to the line in that spot? Or am I just being paranoid? Will take help and suggestions. Thanks!
    Hiya Happy Camper. Private Second Class GrizzlyAdams reporting for duty as requested M'am.

    Pictures here show how to make a Garda hitch through the rings. That I think is the core of your question. There are different ways to get the rings on the webbing. One is using a Marlinspike hitch as used in my post. One is to sew tightly as you mention, or put on a bit of cord as I've done and RR suggests, although his suggestion has you loop the cord and rings onto the webbing loop rather than a Marlinspike toggle.

    PvtSC Grizz

  5. #5
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,298
    Images
    101
    Here's what I did. I cut my stock HH rope and tied a Figure 8 on a bight which is an extreme.t stable strong know used for tying ropes to climbing harrnesses. I attached a loop of cord to the rings with a prussic and then attached that loop to the cut suspension rope on top of the two layers of the cut rope. (Standing and trailing ends) That way everything stays stable no what what the tensions are.






    My webbing comes from the tree and threads thru the rings at the hammock ends. That way I can adjust everything from the ground and under the tarp if need be.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  6. #6
    HappyCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WV
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, 1.1 single
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Posts
    3,523
    Images
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Hiya Happy Camper. Private Second Class GrizzlyAdams reporting for duty as requested M'am.

    Pictures here show how to make a Garda hitch through the rings. That I think is the core of your question. There are different ways to get the rings on the webbing. One is using a Marlinspike hitch as used in my post. One is to sew tightly as you mention, or put on a bit of cord as I've done and RR suggests, although his suggestion has you loop the cord and rings onto the webbing loop rather than a Marlinspike toggle.

    PvtSC Grizz

    OK, Grizz, I start following your directions and I'm thinkin' to myself, "This ain't too bad. This is really easier than it lo . . . little boom. I'm on the ground. I didn't do the ring lashing quite to spec and quickly slid to ground.

    Go back and look at pictures. Fixed problem, sit in it again, quite tentatively and BOOM! I'm on the ground again. My knot on spyderline gave out. Fixed it by doing simple overhand knot like you said. I don't know much about knots but I think I know more than I do and I just make them up. ("Don't thnk, Meat. You'll only hurt the ball club.")

    Anyway to get to the point. When I did it exactly the way you explained it, I didn't have any problems.

    Question: How strong of a toggle should I be using? Is there a lot of pressure on the toggle when you're in the hammock? I can't tell.

    2nd Question: Shouldn't you be a general or somthing by now?

    ---------------------------------------------------

    Edit: Well I've been fooling with this for a while now and it just keeps getting quicker. I think this is the suspension for me. For now. Thanks Grizz!
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 08-24-2008 at 18:08.

  7. #7
    HappyCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WV
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, 1.1 single
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Posts
    3,523
    Images
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    My webbing comes from the tree and threads thru the rings at the hammock ends. That way I can adjust everything from the ground and under the tarp if need be.

    Thanks Ramblinrev. I'm not ready to cut lines on Hennessy just yet but I have my homemade hammock and this just may be the ticket. Thanks for posting pictures. I really like the idea of adusting from under the tarp. Two thumbs up.

  8. #8
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,298
    Images
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Thanks Ramblinrev. I'm not ready to cut lines on Hennessy just yet
    Took me several months and several hangs to be ready to cut the ropes. It wasn't until I got fed up with all that spaghetti that I finally did the dirty deed. I didn't want to use the ring buckles with rope. Can't tell you why... I just didn't want to.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  9. #9
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Anyway to get to the point. When I did it exactly the way you explained it, I didn't have any problems.
    great, I'm glad it's working for you now.

    Question: How strong of a toggle should I be using? Is there a lot of pressure on the toggle when you're in the hammock? I can't tell.
    I'm using a 1/2" diameter dowel rod. Poplar I think...not even hardwood. The webbing spreads out the force a lot and this seems to be fine. I've been using mine now for a couple of months and I don't see any signs that the toggles are cracking or compressing.

    2nd Question: Shouldn't you be a general or somthing by now?
    I get busted in rank very time I tell a bad joke. I was nearly Lt. Col. last summer until I ginned up a Cheech and Chong skit about zealous moderators keeping threads on track, and slowhike busted me to buck private...

    ---------------------------------------------------

    Edit: Well I've been fooling with this for a while now and it just keeps getting quicker. I think this is the suspension for me. For now. Thanks Grizz!
    The set up you've got now is pretty slick. I was using the Garda hitch on Vectran 12 for a couple of hangs but started to get concerned about what the "squeeze" on the cord in the rings was doing to the cord. The HH cord is sturdier stuff, and a lot closer to the diameter of climbing ropes on which the Garda hitch is frequently used.

    Grizz

  10. #10
    slowhike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing & rings
    Posts
    10,595
    Images
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I get busted in rank very time I tell a bad joke. I was nearly Lt. Col. last summer until I ginned up a Cheech and Chong skit about zealous moderators keeping threads on track, and slowhike busted me to buck private...
    Grizz
    OK... you've proved yourself since then... rank restored<G>.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •