Tree strap length for the Sierras

I'm looking for suggestions for tree strap + extension lengths that would work well in the Sierras. I would like to find a good balance between keeping the weight down and not using a lot of sticks as a buffer for the extensions.

From searching past topics, I've seen responses from 6' to 15' straps, so I'm not really sure what to make of it.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    WARBONNET BMJ/DOOR
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS & BUCKLES
    i made mine to fit the trees in the area that i live and do most my camping, mine ended up about 7' long, i would assume you have an idea of how big the trees are where your going, so just go with whatever length you need for there

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

3rd Annual Black Hills Hang planning thread, August 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 2014

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=88341

PitaPata Dog tickers

Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Most of the straps that we do for the Sierras and cascades are around 15'. On occasion we have folks go as high as 20 per side but that's getting pretty big and if you look around you can usually find smaller trees. I think that most folks will find that with a little looking you can find trees that will work with straps around 12'.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hanging, backpacking and Ultralight Fishing gear needs.

Free APEX Upgrade on Every Kick *** Quilt (KAQ)

Now Offering FlameThower Down Gear And Tenkara Fishing gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com
    Tenkara-Fishing.com
    Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just don't hang in the old growth.

"Yeah I'm going to need a 36' strap for this one..."

Ok it sounds like I should plan for a strap + extension total length between 12' to 15'. I also plan on using a whoopie sling, so I could use part of that as an extension if needed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I've had sugar pines to deal with - one end will have all but a foot of a 15' strap used up, the other will have plenty of play. Just depends on where you are. If hiking southern JMT, you can count on some miles where all you will find are foxtail pines, and need 15' unless you are willing to walk around a lot to find smaller ones.

I am probably ordering some amsteel to make extenders now that I am converted to whoopie slings. Two 10' straps and a couple of 6' extenders are a good compromise.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I hang in the sierras almost every other week. I use 6 footers and carry a few 1 foot continuous loops of amsteel. Only once, maybe twice have I had to use them and only then because I was trying to hang 3 hammocks in the same area. There are lots of trees to choose from in those woods I really don't think it's as much of a problem that a one or two extensions couldn't readily fix.

S