Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles

DIY Z-liner questions

I am planning to make a DIY z-liner from a poncho liner. Having never seen the factory version I am sort of shooting in the dark. A couple of questions...

1. Will a single layer of poncho liner give any useful insulation value? Or should I go right to a 2 or 3 layer version?

2. Will a poncho liner in the pockets have enough 'stiffness' to stay in place. It will be held in place at the top with velcro but pretty 'floppy' otherwise.
    I've seen some ideas for connecting the two sides of z-liner together through the opening in the bottom of the pockets but was hoping that won't be necessary.

I just got an NX250 last month and am very impressed with it. First trip was a solo backpacking trip into an area that didn't realize that winter was supposed to be over.

I've tried various pocket solutions, but always end up with gaps at the pocket baffles. So I priced materials to match Clark's product and ended up with almost $100 for materials alone. So I decided that maybe $89 for excellent labor and workmanship might be worth avoiding having to stress my wife, an excellent sewer, with doing the project

I don't expect to use the foot end a lot, but I think I'll get the whole set. Just my thoughts. And my thanks to all the folks on this forum who are so helpful. This has to be the most civilized forum I visit.

Jim

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I've debated with myself at length about whether to try an underquilt or the Z-liner. I like the concept of the Z-liner so decided to go with that.

Now I am in the debate about DIY or purchasing from Clark. If I go with a single layer of poncho liner I can get 6 pads and the foot end piece from one poncho liner. That will cost me about $25 for the liner and maybe another $10 for velcro and thread. Making the pads with 2 thickness poncho layer will require another $25 for a second poncho liner.
    Another thing is, when I say "I", I mean my wife because she will be doing all the work . Also, my DIY will be a little heavier than the Clark version.
    So, the internal debate continues - I am thinking of buying the Clark foot piece and DIW (do it wife) with the pads.

I purchased the Z-Liner recently. Overall I like it. The only thing I don`t like is the insulation. I think down would be a much better idea, not to mention a lot lighter.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Its all in several threads here, including a custom down-filled set of pads.

IMO, you are wasting materials on the triangle pad outside the hammock. Too big, and too inefficient (warmth delivered for costs.) Your feet and lower legs, after all, occupy little space and put out little heat. So, they are more efficiently insulated INSIDE the hammock. The overall pad length for the 3 pockets is 50", just about what a 3/4 UQ covers. So, that's legit.

I'd offer different advice for the NX150, for which I think Clark made a mistake in downsizing the pockets. Consequently 6 pads in those DO NOT insulate the torso, coming up, IIRC at about 40" in overall length.

I have tried a 3/4 underquilt on my NX250, and won't be going the z-liner route. An UQ is for sure warm, not maybe warm.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Still, the question is...concerning a DIY Z-Liner...

Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    1. Will a single layer of poncho liner give any useful insulation value? Or should I go right to a 2 or 3 layer version?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Search posts here by scanning. Not so many as to be difficult even without a search engine.

If nobody has used a (cut-up) poncho liner, you might infer from some underwhelm-ment with the Z-liner pads, that pads of every kind would be more effective if they lay or were pressed against the hammock bottom. You might find that hooks or loops on the pads are reported to close gaps that form becase the pockets are pleated.

Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    Still, the question is...concerning a DIY Z-Liner...
    The general opinion as I remember from threads on the topic, were that to be most effective the pockets need to be pretty full, and that would indicate a few inches of loft. The thinner insulations would tend to lay on the bottom and allow a significant air space between the bottom of the hammock and the top of the insulation. As I remember, most of the discussions were theory and not too much from actual experimentation. I just remember for sure that I didn't want to invest in a "maybe warm" system, but that I did want a "for sure warm" system. I will be glad to stand corrected if I have misremembered or misrepresented anything. After all, I am over 30.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    I have been thinking lately of buying a down comforter,
    that one would use on a bed in the house . . .

. . . marking off areas the size of Clark pockets . . .
    . . . and unceremoniously sewing double lines,
    and cutting between, to achieve down pillows for the pockets.

Just thoughts that I have had, to which there is likely no cure.

Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast