DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things

Fabric Stretch In A Bridge Hammock

I see a lot of folks are talking about using polyester or other fabrics that don't stretch in their gathered end hammock. I'm looking to do it in with a bridge hammock though. The bridge hammocks are a bit more finnicky about dimensions if you want a flat lay, and I would think that switching from Nylon to Polyester would create some fairly significant changes in performance.

Rolling it around in my head, it seems like it would actually give the bridge a much flatter lay if you weren't sinking in to the fabric in the middle where your weight is greatest. Has anybody tried this yet? Is there anything to be cautious of when designing a bridge with a fabric that doesn't stretch?

If - if he stood! Enough of ifs!
    He knew a path that wanted walking
    He knew a spring that wanted drinking
    A thought that wanted further thinking.
    A love that wanted re-renewing

"A Lone Striker" Robert Frost

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I see a lot of folks are talking about using polyester or other fabrics that don't stretch in their gathered end hammock. I'm looking to do it in with a bridge hammock though. The bridge hammocks are a bit more finnicky about dimensions if you want a flat lay, and I would think that switching from Nylon to Polyester would create some fairly significant changes in performance.

Rolling it around in my head, it seems like it would actually give the bridge a much flatter lay if you weren't sinking in to the fabric in the middle where your weight is greatest. Has anybody tried this yet? Is there anything to be cautious of when designing a bridge with a fabric that doesn't stretch?
    I made a bridge hammock of the crinkle polyester taffeta fabric that DIY Gear Supply sells. I suspect it comes from the tableclothsfactory.com site.

Here are the details.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=54951

I still have the end caps to attach to the hammock body. These will be 1.1 ripstop nylon (already have it and to reduce weight). I also have a BMBH (original) and I found that with the nylon it stretched a fair amount and really hugged you tight. The shorter spreader bar width at 31" also plays a role in the snugger fit as well.

I find my 36" spreader bar width and the polyester fabric to be much more comfortable for me. I have broad shoulders and a fair amount of girth in midsection area .

The only real finicky part of dimensions for a bridge hammock is calculating your suspension arc and ensuring it is symmetric on both sides of the hammock. GrizzlyAdams goes over this aspect in detail on his video series on the construction of a Rhino Bridge.

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 06-29-2012 at 17:34.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Tee Dee discussed polyester in bridges in this thread

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8537

I've been quite happy with the 1.4 oz (or so) poly I used in mine.
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    once upon a time Rockywoods Outdoors fabric carried lightweight polyester microfiber in something close to 2.0 oz/yd^2. I check every so often, but what I find is heavier stuff, 3.3 oz/yd^2 is the current lightest weight.

Anyway, I built a number of bridge hammocks using this stuff, and very definitely there is less stretch, and a flatter lay. I'd lay in a supply of it again if I could find it!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    once upon a time Rockywoods Outdoors fabric carried lightweight polyester microfiber in something close to 2.0 oz/yd^2. I check every so often, but what I find is heavier stuff, 3.3 oz/yd^2 is the current lightest weight.

Anyway, I built a number of bridge hammocks using this stuff, and very definitely there is less stretch, and a flatter lay. I'd lay in a supply of it again if I could find it!
    For the record, I believe the crinkle polyester taffeta fabric (table cloth) comes in at about 2.5oz/yd^2. At least that is what PapaSmurf at Dream Hammocks says it comes to.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    this thread got me to googling around again and I found The rainshed.com, where they say
    their polyester microfibers come in at 2.25 oz/yd^2.

Gave them a call, put in an order, we'll see how it works out.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I have made a few gathered end hammocks out of nylon and polyester, same weight, and the polyester definitely stretches less. It took more fiddling to get the whipping right.
    Also, huge +1 for The Rainshed. They're great to get stuff from.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

• + New Posts