Kite Making Supplies: Possible Source for Tarp Pole Mods Materials
I was wondering if anyone had come across kite making suppliers as a possible inexpensive source for carbon tubing and connection hardware? Seems like the tubing, ferrules and various end pieces are weight concious and structurally suited for ultralight needs.
I hadn't quite gotten around to researching a pole mod but stumbled on this site while researching a totally different project.
Thanks for reminding me that I have a batch of CF tube from IntoTheWind.com and 15 years back.
My only question is are the kite making tubes too stiff for what we need? Give them a try for us. I would suggest the straight walled, not the tapered.
If I could beg a favor and you wouldnt mind checking the specs on yours and giving them a hand flex to say if they might be in the range useful for this sort of application.
Originally Posted by gmcttr
I have two types...O.D.-.30" , I.D.-.247" and O.D.-.3685" , I.D.-.295" (as measured...invoice has been lost).
My impression is the thinner walled O.D.-.30" has a better flex then the thicker walled, larger diameter material. The O.D.-.3685" tube seems like it may be too stiff although it would certainly make the bend.
A 32.5" section of the smaller diameter tube weighs 21g.
Thanks Gmcttr, what I've seen used with the HG tarps is 54" of length, add in joint ferrule and tips, it sould stay under 2oz per pole x 2. I think that will compare well with to the weight of my side pull lines stakes and tensioners or at least be close to a wash.
Originally Posted by gmcttr
I recently made a set of two carbon fiber poles as a pole-mod for the side pull-outs on my Hammock Gear 4S Cuben fiber tarp using supplies from Goodwinds. I used the following:
SkyShark P300 Non-Tapered Wrapped Carbon Tubing (.292" OD, .244 ID)
Carbon Tube Ferrules 4.0" x .240" to join sections
Solid Carbon Ferrules 2.75" x .240" to attach arrow nocks to the ends
Apex .240" Nocks for the ends
.234" and .281" vinyl end caps to protect the ends of the CF tubing
Each pole is 48.75" overall, made up of 19" and 21" end sections and a 6.75" center section. The nocks add 1" to each end. The 19" end sections have 2" of ferrule sticking out of them, making them the same overall length as the 21" end sections. With the nocks, each end section is 22" when disassembled. I have been toying with the idea of fitting my frameless backpack with little webbing pockets so that the 22" end sections can double as pack stays.
By leaving out the center section I can rig my tarp with 42" poles instead. The shorter length seems to work better when the tarp sides are pulled down low for the weather, while the longer length is needed if the tarp is rigged flatter, like when it is in porch mode. The poles are pretty stiff, but work quite nicely if sized properly. I did lots of testing before cutting anything.
The total weight for both poles, with protective end caps, is 2.9 ounces. The nocks and ferrules were glued in place with IC-2000 rubber-toughened cyanoacrylate glue (from my local hobby shop). This glue gives you at least 30 seconds of working time, sets really quickly after that, but should flex with the poles because of the rubber in it.
If I made the poles again, I would use the tube ferrules throughout instead of the solid ferrules. The tube ferrules are more than strong enough for the job and should save at least a gram or two.
The Gnome used to get stuff from kitemaking supply stores. Not sure about CF stuff, but he used to get material for tarps etc...
Wow thanks Taylor, you've done all the work, I especially like how you worked out the lengths of sections for two different setups. I had a sense that .36" was going to be a bit stiffer than necessary. Amazing that it all came in under 3oz.
Originally Posted by trhang