Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!

AT Thru Hike 2013 Preparation

Hello Hello!
    Im in the process of getting everything straightened out for my hike, so it can be smooth sailing come Springer in March!

My gear has not all been purchased, actually have quite a bit I need to purchase, but I have been doing a lot of research trying to find out great combinations for a good balance of Light and Comfortable.

I have what seems to be a good "Starting Place" as a base-weight on gear grams.

You can see that here!

I'd love to get a good discussion going with some more experienced hikers on the do's and dont's of my gear list!

I have a feeling clothing is going to be an area of discussion

Thanks for Reading!

TONY

Images
    im glad you posted over here. i was concerned about using clothing for insulation in a hammock especially for long distances. clothing gets damp and never really drys. if you keep clothing JUST for night it needs to be in shelter weight to make a good comparison. you said on other forum you think you can get to 0-20 with this gear. if it works great, but at 0 the cold air gets in any way it can
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Looks pretty good to me.

A question about your socks: do you intend on using the same socks every day? I don't use socks, personally, on the trail when it's above freezing; but, from watching those who do, it seems that having more than one pair so that you can have at least semi-dry feet is a good idea. Or does that weight total include two pairs of liners and outers?

Sleeping socks: I see in your winter clothing that you don't have any listed. I find that, below freezing, it's worth having a pair of thick, loose wool or acrylic socks to keep my toes warm. YMMV here, but I find it worth it.

Your hat: would it be worth going over to a visor/bandanna combo? A $1 WallyWorld cotton bandanna (I didn't see any listed) is about an ounce, while my $8 Rothco visor weighs about 2.5 oz. You get the multi-use of the bandanna (sweat rag, sun protection with the visor ala the Foreign Legion, water pre-filter, emergency splinting material, tarp wiper-offer, etc.), better ventilation for your head when you're not in the sun, the same weather protection for your face, and it comes out about an ounce less than your current hat--all for under $10. Just a thought.

Why is the Sawyer filter listed at 8 oz? Mine is ~3 oz wet, ~2 oz dry. Are you including the backflush faucet kit in that weight?

I'd add a button compass to your tools. You're going to be on the AT, so it's unlikely that you'll get lost; however, having a tiny ~1/2 oz button compass to make sure you're headed in the right direction might be useful, especially after a long tiring day.

Otherwise, everything looks really good. Assuming that you're careful with your gear (the tulle bugsock worries me a bit, but I'm hard on gear), you should be good to go! I hope the hike works out for you!

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    I have two pairs for summer, one liner for hiking and one midweight for sleeping.
    Winter i will have a midweight a liner and a think (HEAVYWEIGHT?!) for winter

I might look into better options for hats, its just what im using right now and it works.
    Thanks for the tip, because i can probably go lighter and do better.

The sawyer is listed at a generic weight, i do not own it yet. If your saying 3oz max ill change the weight, and save 5oz. Best way to shed some pack weight is to re-evaluate your math!

I have a little pin on compass someone recently gave me, and i hiked today using it and it worked pretty well so i think ill end up using it at .4oz

Tulle is going to be a trial and error for me, im going to baby it, but i have plans on getting a backup just incase! I think i can be careful, i hope.

Thanks for the feedback, and ill be making changes to my things.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Just messing around today with my list, and leaving off some items i might have considered valuable i got down to 9.17#
    So far so good, still want ~8 though!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Subsammich View Post
    I have two pairs for summer, one liner for hiking and one midweight for sleeping.
    Winter i will have a midweight a liner and a think (HEAVYWEIGHT?!) for winter

I might look into better options for hats, its just what im using right now and it works.
    Thanks for the tip, because i can probably go lighter and do better.

The sawyer is listed at a generic weight, i do not own it yet. If your saying 3oz max ill change the weight, and save 5oz. Best way to shed some pack weight is to re-evaluate your math!

I have a little pin on compass someone recently gave me, and i hiked today using it and it worked pretty well so i think ill end up using it at .4oz

Tulle is going to be a trial and error for me, im going to baby it, but i have plans on getting a backup just incase! I think i can be careful, i hope.

Thanks for the feedback, and ill be making changes to my things.
    Not a problem. You might want to add one set of hiking socks (liner for summer, midweight for winter) so that you can have semi-dry feet (at least, your feet don't start out wet at the beginning of the day). It'll add a little weight, but you'd be surprised how much dry feet can make you happy.

Note that you may want the faucet backflush kit. There are probably lighter options out there (and I urge you to look for them), but backflushing of the the filter is necessary every eight to ten gallons (so, assuming eight to ten hours of trail travel per day at ~1 L per hour, that's once every four to five days) to avoid excessive slowdown.

I hope everything goes well!

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Ill look into adding another pair of socks, and defiantly going to use the sewn loop holes on the socks!

I have a feeling adding the faucet backflush kit will either be a bump box thing, or a carry. I hope to work that out via shakedowns.

Im down to 8.77 Pounds carried right now!
    8 Lbs the goal! Who knows if ill even stop there

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Hello Hello!
    Im in the process of getting everything straightened out for my hike, so it can be smooth sailing come Springer in March!

My gear has not all been purchased, actually have quite a bit I need to purchase, but I have been doing a lot of research trying to find out great combinations for a good balance of Light and Comfortable.

I have what seems to be a good "Starting Place" as a base-weight on gear grams.

You can see that here!

I'd love to get a good discussion going with some more experienced hikers on the do's and dont's of my gear list!

I have a feeling clothing is going to be an area of discussion

Thanks for Reading!

TONY
    This is a really nice list and should do well. the only thing that jumps out at me is the hiking poles. I know they are carried, but you could drop 10 oz by doing with some Gossamer Gear or other UL hiking poles.
    good luck.
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Yeah, these poles have treated me well so far though. Once i get my gear lined out, if i still feel like fussing this will be on that list, but for now I'm just gonna use them!

I've made quite a few cuts off of my previous list, and im down to right around 8#
    Im going to schedule a nice shakedown for a week or so, on the AT through harpers ferry.

I was thinking about trying to take enough time to do a 200-500 miler somewhere.

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Yeah, these poles have treated me well so far though. Once i get my gear lined out, if i still feel like fussing this will be on that list, but for now I'm just gonna use them!

I've made quite a few cuts off of my previous list, and im down to right around 8#
    Im going to schedule a nice shakedown for a week or so, on the AT through harpers ferry.

I was thinking about trying to take enough time to do a 200-500 miler somewhere.
    An excellent shake down for the AT is the Superior Hiking Trail. About 250 miles. not as many PUD's but similar in a lot of ways.
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast