Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    9

    First DIY: Hammock - Momentum 90

    I'm ready to start getting into the details of my first diy.

    My plans:

    Momentum 90 Gathered End Hammock with dynaglide UCR, half tree strap-half dynaglide tree hugger, 100% polyester thread.

    I'm 5'7" 165#s fully dressed.

    My Questions:

    Would a dynaglide UCR be fine?

    What length should I make the hammock for my height and weight?

    On which stitch should I set my sewing machine?

    Momentum 90 comes at 58" wide, should I leave it at that?

    See any problems with my plans?

    Thanks!
    Lykos

  2. #2
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    8,596
    Images
    39
    Hi Lykos, it sound like you have a nice project planned there.
    I think you are just right for a M90 single hammock. I hang on Dynaglide UCR's and I'm 200 pounds. I am 6'-1" and like 11' long hammocks. I think you will be most comfortable in a 10'-6" hammock but could probably get away with 10' and give up only a bit of comfort. I would keep the width; by the time you lose the selvge and double roll the hem, it will be about 55" wide.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  3. #3
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,260
    I'm 5'9" and 194# and I use a shorter than normal hammock, at 9ft long x 54"wide and I find it just about perfect. I have been using dynaglide whoopies for over 3yrs now without a single issue, and if I had some extra dynaglide I would make a set of UCR's just to give em a try.

    What are your goals, a UL set-up?

    Max comfort?

    Are you always worried about the weights of your gear and what goes into you pack?
    Formerly known as "Cranky Bear"....

    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

    It's always best if your an early riser!

    I like hiking as it's like exercise!

    My Blog

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Hi Lykos, it sound like you have a nice project planned there.
    I think you are just right for a M90 single hammock. I hang on Dynaglide UCR's and I'm 200 pounds. I am 6'-1" and like 11' long hammocks. I think you will be most comfortable in a 10'-6" hammock but could probably get away with 10' and give up only a bit of comfort. I would keep the width; by the time you lose the selvge and double roll the hem, it will be about 55" wide.
    Good good, I'll try 10 feet. Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I'm 5'9" and 194# and I use a shorter than normal hammock, at 9ft long x 54"wide and I find it just about perfect. I have been using dynaglide whoopies for over 3yrs now without a single issue, and if I had some extra dynaglide I would make a set of UCR's just to give em a try.

    What are your goals, a UL set-up?

    Max comfort?

    Are you always worried about the weights of your gear and what goes into you pack?
    I'm glad the dynaglides hold up. My goals are to carry around as little weight as possible and to keep my packing time to a minimum of both time and effort! I won't get out and go as often if i'm not comfortable so yes thats there. I'm not packing long distance so weight is really just for convenience. I'm interested in a hiking up to a mountain lake and setting up a bivouac camp sometime in the future but hiking through without really stopping for a day or two doesn't sound as interesting to me (as of now).

    Should I try something cheaper before the momentum 90 or is it easily sewn?

  5. #5
    Acer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana Wooded Hills
    Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH UL, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4/Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/TeWa
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutch Bling
    Posts
    3,808
    Images
    14
    Read this as it may give you a few ideas. The momentum 90T is the most comfortable I have ever slept in, and been sleeping in it every nite since the 5th of July. Now making a hammock out of Momentum 90 MR, the ripstop material. Will have it rigged out by next Wed and maybe be able to post a few pics. Easy to make. Several of us in this posting are experimenting with Momentum material.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55509
    Last edited by Acer; 07-14-2012 at 19:53.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Read this as it may give you a few ideas. The momentum 90T is the most comfortable I have ever slept in, and been sleeping in it every nite since the 5th of July. Now making a hammock out of Momentum 90 MR, the ripstop material. Will have it rigged out by next Wed and maybe be able to post a few pics. Easy to make. Several of us in this posting are experimenting with Momentum material.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55509
    Is there a benefit to the 90MR over the 90T? I'm also going to order Momentum 50 and try Knotty's gathered in hammock. I'll put a baby mattress under it for the first try but i'm curious and am ordering some anyways for an uq and tq.

    Is your momentum 90T a regular gathered in or did you modify it in anyway special. Anything special I should do when I try the momentum 50? Tips or tricks to prevent weakening the material.

  7. #7
    Acer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana Wooded Hills
    Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH UL, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4/Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/TeWa
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutch Bling
    Posts
    3,808
    Images
    14
    Read the thread,,and look at the pics,,there's a Knotty Mod in the pics and how I did it. I think Newtron in the postings considers the Momentum Rip Stop,,the M 90 MR fabric to be superior to the 2, and so I am making one of that to test out and see if it sleeps as good as the Tafetta fabric that i have already made. For my weight,,the tafetta seems to be holding up for my 165lbs and I see no trouble whatsoever in the fabric and love the feel and lay of the hammock. I really think the ripstop nylon,,the M 90MR will be the same and will know Wed nite when I get it back from seamstress shop and rig and try it out. All I did on my ends was have a 1" pole pocket sewed across the ends and thread a piece of 7/64 amsteel thru it and tie it off,,then larkshead tie my whoopies around the end..nothing more,,and attached the RL to the loop of the whoopies as I was putting it around each end. pretty simple and nothing elaborate. Works perfect. And been in it every nite inside the house sleeping in it and no wear to the fabric anywhere so far. Good luck on your endevors and keep us all posted as to what you do and how you do it as we all want to know how this fabric is working out for everybody as we all test it out.

  8. #8
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Lykos View Post
    I'm glad the dynaglides hold up. My goals are to carry around as little weight as possible and to keep my packing time to a minimum of both time and effort! I won't get out and go as often if i'm not comfortable so yes thats there. I'm not packing long distance so weight is really just for convenience. I'm interested in a hiking up to a mountain lake and setting up a bivouac camp sometime in the future but hiking through without really stopping for a day or two doesn't sound as interesting to me (as of now).

    Should I try something cheaper before the momentum 90 or is it easily sewn?
    Yea for me the Dynaglide has held up fine.

    Size wise, well thats gonna be different for everyone, some find the smaller hammocks comfy, others find the longer ones more comfy! Best thing I could recommend is make a couple out of some cheaper rip-stop at different widths and lengths and go from there.

    You could probably make two both 10ft long but different widths (one narrower than the other) and just bring the suspension in each time (effectively shortening the hammock) until you find that spot that you like the best. Mark that spot and then you now have your measurements for your nicer/more expensive fabric.

    JMO
    Formerly known as "Cranky Bear"....

    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

    It's always best if your an early riser!

    I like hiking as it's like exercise!

    My Blog

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Jefferson City, MO
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Read the thread,,and look at the pics,,there's a Knotty Mod in the pics and how I did it. I think Newtron in the postings considers the Momentum Rip Stop,,the M 90 MR fabric to be superior to the 2, and so I am making one of that to test out and see if it sleeps as good as the Tafetta fabric that i have already made. For my weight,,the tafetta seems to be holding up for my 165lbs and I see no trouble whatsoever in the fabric and love the feel and lay of the hammock. I really think the ripstop nylon,,the M 90MR will be the same and will know Wed nite when I get it back from seamstress shop and rig and try it out. All I did on my ends was have a 1" pole pocket sewed across the ends and thread a piece of 7/64 amsteel thru it and tie it off,,then larkshead tie my whoopies around the end..nothing more,,and attached the RL to the loop of the whoopies as I was putting it around each end. pretty simple and nothing elaborate. Works perfect. And been in it every nite inside the house sleeping in it and no wear to the fabric anywhere so far. Good luck on your endevors and keep us all posted as to what you do and how you do it as we all want to know how this fabric is working out for everybody as we all test it out.
    Will keep everyone updated for sure. I've ordered 1.1 ripstop nylon (my guinea pig for sizing and sewing), amsteel, thread and some webbing. I'm going to try not sewing it at all at first and see if I like the size. Hem and cut as necessary. I think I'm also going to try doing the W whip or pulling through the outside edge more in the whip to fix the floppy sides. All in all just one big experiment!
    Next week I'm going to order momentum 90T and momentum 50 to experiment some more!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Yea for me the Dynaglide has held up fine.

    Size wise, well thats gonna be different for everyone, some find the smaller hammocks comfy, others find the longer ones more comfy! Best thing I could recommend is make a couple out of some cheaper rip-stop at different widths and lengths and go from there.

    You could probably make two both 10ft long but different widths (one narrower than the other) and just bring the suspension in each time (effectively shortening the hammock) until you find that spot that you like the best. Mark that spot and then you now have your measurements for your nicer/more expensive fabric.

    JMO
    Good advice, I'm going to try 10 - whipping. I'm only 5'7" so it should be good. Once I get the size right on the 1.1 ripstop nylon I'm going to try momentum 90 and 50. It would be awesome to make a minimalist hammock out of momentum 50.

  10. #10
    Acer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana Wooded Hills
    Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH UL, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4/Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/TeWa
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutch Bling
    Posts
    3,808
    Images
    14
    As you read the previous postings,,,Newtron is making a double M 50 for Spoof who weighs less than I. (165lbs) They are not sure M 50 will hold or if it does,,,not sure of the longitivity of the fabric,,,its all a guessitmate so a few people are testing out M 90 T, M 90 MR, and M 50 as well as Sgt. Rock and WV have made hammocks out of cuben and testing them with various results with cuben not breathable material that they are using. Keep the forum informed as to your tests and results as everybody is interested in lighter materials to lighten the load if it is even workable. Good luck on M 50.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •