Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBait View Post
    I prefer the hardware free strap through the loop method. Have been using it successfully for years. Some like hardware to make it easier/faster but it isn't necessary.
    nice!

Hammock
    Breyman 1.1 ACU, GTUL, TL DBL
    Tarp
    BMJ, GG 12x12
    Insulation
    Incbtr 20, No Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoop whoop!
    1X for the hardware free method.
    K I S S ...

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    How's the weather?
    Insulation
    JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    Strap'BinerWhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whw View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. At least I know that there is no danger is passing the strap through the loop and not using biners/clips.

My plan is to use a tree hugger which straps goes through the loop. Then on the strap tie a marlin spike hitch, but instead of using a toggle through the MSH loop, I clip on a biner. Then I secure the whoopie sling loop through the biner. Why the biner and not a toggle? I just feel safer knowing that the loop won't accidentally be lifted up over the knot and onto the toggle.

There's nothing wrong with using a biner instead of a toggle with the marlin spike hitch right? Just want to double check before I try this out.

Thanks!
    Yep! My suspension exactly (the hardware-free strap through the loop method). Only been using this on a few hangs so far, but folks who know more about knots than me say the Marlin will not slip when used this way. Biners? I use the Camp Nano Photon, 29 grams, climbing rated, and haven't found anything lighter (thanks Shug-- Again).
    "http://www.rei.com/search?query=C.A.M.P.+USA+photon"
    Last edited by Loki; 07-24-2012 at 07:11.
    - Loki,

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn."
    — John Muir

I agree with the 'set-up speed and convince' argument. That's what you will gain if using carabineers. However, if I were a gram counter or diehard do-withouter, I'd nix the carabineers... They are just another thing that takes up space, needs to be watched and maintained, and adds a weight cost.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ Lots of TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsemod View Post
    I agree with the 'set-up speed and convince' argument. That's what you will gain if using carabineers. However, if I were a gram counter or diehard do-withouter, I'd nix the carabineers... They are just another thing that takes up space, needs to be watched and maintained, and adds a weight cost.

I agree, its just one more thing to worry about. Curious what folks would say is the advantage of a carabiner or dutch clip? Is only takes a few seconds to pull through 10 feet of strap.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    So this isn't "gram counter" philosophy, but I like the weight of the carabiner to help me fling the tree strap around larger trees. Fling with one hand and catch with the other.

Hammock
    WildernessLogicsNightOwl
    Tarp
    WL BIG Otter
    Insulation
    TqUq and pad
    Suspension
    PhantomGrappler
    Yes you are right
    Some count grams
    Some count seconds
    Some count pennies

Hammock
    DIY 30d MARPAT
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod
    Suspension
    ISLS with UCRs
    When it's really cold and your fingers don't want to work carbineers are quick and easy.
    Mike

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. (Luke 5:16 NIV)

He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 ESV)

While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. (1 Thessalonians 5:3 ESV)