Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images

Hummm

Well if it were me, and money were no object... I'd buy one of each kind, test them each rigorously, wright reviews on each one... then choose. Because that would be more fun.

Under Quilts hold their value, so you could recover your cost by selling them here on HF.
    But if money were no object...find a friend or two or five to share them with.

To answer your question more directly and I am about the same size as you and also a cold sleeper...my top 3 choices for warm quilts are:
    Hammock Gear
    Te-Wa
    LeighLo
    But not necessarily in that order.
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I have underquilts from Hammock Gear and Warbonnet. The Warbonnet Yeti is amazingly light and small when packed, but I haven't had the chance to test it in colder temperatures. My go-to quilt is the HG Incubator, and I love it. However, if I would order again, I would ask Adam to make it a bit shorter to save weight, as I'm not very big myself.

With regards to top quilts; you mentioned that you get cold easily. I'm also a very cold sleeper, and I tried sleeping with a top quilt. It didn't work for me. I was just not able to close all the gaps consistently. This is why I went back to my sleeping bag. I'm currently using a semi-rec bag from Western Mountaineering, which I can use as a top quilt in warm/hot weather, and as a sleeping bag (without hood) in cold weather. This has been working great for me, but it means more weight and bulk. If I would live in the US, I would order a custom semi-rec bag from Feathered Friends. Just another idea.

And a thought about the cuben tarp: although I like the weight and coverage, I haven't bought one up to now because the cuben that is used right now looks very transparent. For the boys, this might not be such a big deal, but I'd rather un-/dress in private I also like a bit of shade when lying in my hammock, so for the moment I stick with my Warbonnet silnylon tarps.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I love mine too. I'd rather cut weight elsewhere for the time being, unless someone can recommend something JUST as comfortable and JUST as easy and JUST as bug proof! Bugs LOVE me!!!!
    I never tried a Hennessy, although I came close to buying the Deep Jungle when I got into hammocking. I'd still like to try one, one day. But I ended up with a Warbonnet Blackbird. This is a much lighter and completly bugproof hammock; I bought the double layer BB and haven't been bitten by mosquitoes. If hung correctly, it's a *very* comfortable hammock.

A much less fiddly hammock is the Wilderness Logics Night/Light Owl. It is a lot more forgiving when you don't get the exact angle etc. Unfortunately, there is no version with an integrated bug net. I heard that the Dream Hammocks are very similar in style and comfort, but the Roaming Gnome and the Danger Bird have an integrated bugnet. The Danger Bird also has an integrated overcover, which should boost temperatures inside the hammock in cold weather. I will definitely order one in the near future. However, I'll probably go for a lighter material than taffeta.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Topquilt and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I volunteer to test all comers and report extensively and accordingly. Just send me your gear and I'll let the world know, lol...

http://www.tamijovanderwilt.com/

Images
    Looks like nearly 100% recommendations for HG. And though I have never tried one yet, I have no doubt I would just love one.

But, I am surprised that there have not been any strong recs for the original UQ guys: JRB MWs or for that matter WB Yetis.

I have the original WB synthetic Yeti ( they are all down now ) and it has proven really effective. Slight learning curve, and it is one of the shorter models. It can slip off of the shoulder pretty easy, but there are tricks to prevent this and I think that can happen with most of these UQs while sleeping on the diagonal. But as long as I have it tight enough, it has always kept me and family members plenty warm in some pretty cold temps. My son's 1st night ever in a hammock was with this quilt at 27F ( with only 3 out of 4 layers of CS installed ) and he was toasty warm. Not all 1st cold nights in a hammock work out that way. I feel confident the down models would work at least as well, maybe even warmer.

As for the JRB MWs, 95% of my use of them has been with the JRB bridge hammock. It is my opinion that this combo can not be beat. There will never be any problems with leaks around the bottom or top edges, it is impossible to move off of the quilt or have it slip off your shoulder, and there really are no adjustments to make and get right, like with the WB. I have only used it on my WBBB one time, and it was only 18F. It took more experimenting to get it set up right than on the Bridge, but I was still toasty on an 18F night with very high winds that were not completely blocked by the winds. This really is a very excellent UQ, especially if cost is no object. It is hard for me to see how anything could work better, but again I am mostly basing that opinion on use with a JRB bridge hammock.

If you had other than the HH DJ, I would also highly recommend a Speer PeaPod ( now made/sold by TTTG ). Or PolarPod. It would probably work OK on the HHDJ, especially the regular length model, but you would have to get the net out of the way. But I like it even better with more narrow net free hammocks like a Claytor No Net. It is one of the most bomb proof approaches I know of, and probably the most draft proof approach. IMO. If you look at it, and it seems heavy and bulky, remember, it is a TQ plus UQ all in one.

Search the HF for discussions on being cold or having to work out a learning curve with an UQ. I think you will find that the JRBs ( at least since they came out with the dif cut UQs years ago ) and the PeaPods are almost never the UQs mentioned in those threads. So that may be high praise for both of them. Enough to lead to my surprise that they are not showing up in the recs much. But that is not to say that the other manufacturers are not just as good or better. And maybe even more so if considering bang for the buck. I'm just saying that, in my experience, these have worked perfectly, 1st time/ every time.

Good luck!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Looks like nearly 100% recommendations for HG. And though I have never tried one yet, I have no doubt I would just love one.

But, I am surprised that there have not been any strong recs for the original UQ guys: JRB MWs or for that matter WB Yetis.

Good luck!
    I have no experience with JRB MWs or for that matter WB Yetis so It's hard to recommend a product you have not tried.

My main reason for recommending HG.com in this case is their willingness to make a custom length and offer special materials to further decrease weight.

Plus you can't beat the workmanship and quality of materials used. Not to mention resale value is ~98% of investment.

On price, for the two years I have been a daily surfing member of HF I have yet to read a post from anyone saying I received my HG quilt and feel I did not get my money's worth.

Sunshine, For custom work you can not go wrong with HG they will treat you right on the price even with a post titled "Money's no Object".

In Colorado I use a HG summer 3/4 Phoenix over stuffed with 2 oz for everything above 25F (late Spring to early Fall) I will stuff my REI blowup sit pad
    in my TQ for my feet.

Last edited by OutandBack; 07-21-2012 at 12:53.
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

Hammock
    DangerBird
    Tarp
    OES Four Season
    Insulation
    LeighLo FLUQ 72" 0
    Suspension
    WhoopieSlings

Money is no object

Just spent 12 days in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    LeighLo full 0 deg. UQ
    Marmot 15 deg. down bag on top
    mid to low 30's at night
    Never slep better in my life.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Topquilt and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Sounds great!

I've made my choice and I'm just going to go for it: Hammock Gear TQ and UQ plus a Winter Palace. I'll be ready for most anything!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Topquilt and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Now then...what to do with that expensive and heavy HH tarp? Could I turn it into something?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Topquilt and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    looks so cozy...