Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 58
  1. #21
    Senior Member gordonfreeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central VA
    Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Posts
    190
    Interesting...

  2. #22
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5
    So I've received my tarseer couple of days back, I haven't had a chance to take it on the trail yet but after a quick test hang yesterday I'm quite excited. It seems to be pretty solid and suitable for my purposes, good for lightweight sleeping but not much in the way of luxuries. Turns out the suspension relies on pull knots which works fine after I spent some time learning the knots. On my test hang I had no trouble finding suitable trees so I didn't yet test using improvised spreader bar. I find it quite comfortable though definitely toasty in 20 °C.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackR View Post
    So I've received my tarseer couple of days back, I haven't had a chance to take it on the trail yet but after a quick test hang yesterday I'm quite excited. It seems to be pretty solid and suitable for my purposes, good for lightweight sleeping but not much in the way of luxuries. Turns out the suspension relies on pull knots which works fine after I spent some time learning the knots. On my test hang I had no trouble finding suitable trees so I didn't yet test using improvised spreader bar. I find it quite comfortable though definitely toasty in 20 °C.
    I'm betting (or guessing since I have only seen the pictures Elias has posted) that you could modify the suspension to whoopies if desired. The foot end I think would be easy to put a fixed eye in the amsteel suspension on each side to attach the whoopie slings. The head end might require a little more work in shortening the straps, bar tacking a loop at their free ends and then attaching the ws. Just a thought.

  4. #24
    WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    3,688
    Images
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackR View Post
    So I've received my tarseer couple of days back, I haven't had a chance to take it on the trail yet but after a quick test hang yesterday I'm quite excited. It seems to be pretty solid and suitable for my purposes, good for lightweight sleeping but not much in the way of luxuries. Turns out the suspension relies on pull knots which works fine after I spent some time learning the knots. On my test hang I had no trouble finding suitable trees so I didn't yet test using improvised spreader bar. I find it quite comfortable though definitely toasty in 20 °C.
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    I'm betting (or guessing since I have only seen the pictures Elias has posted) that you could modify the suspension to whoopies if desired. The foot end I think would be easy to put a fixed eye in the amsteel suspension on each side to attach the whoopie slings. The head end might require a little more work in shortening the straps, bar tacking a loop at their free ends and then attaching the ws. Just a thought.
    Though similarly disadvantaged by ignorance, I will chime in. It looks like the hammock hangs best with the head end quite close to a tree, so it may be that only the foot end needs to be adjustable. If that's so, BER's suggestion of a single whoopie for the foot end would be perfect. Check it out and let us know if he truly qualifies as an idiot savant.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Though similarly disadvantaged by ignorance, I will chime in. It looks like the hammock hangs best with the head end quite close to a tree, so it may be that only the foot end needs to be adjustable. If that's so, BER's suggestion of a single whoopie for the foot end would be perfect. Check it out and let us know if he truly qualifies as an idiot savant.
    Thanks David........

    ........I think.

  6. #26
    Member sparkytxn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Hammock
    HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    WS, DBuckles
    Posts
    51
    As soon as I saw this, I thought... spreader bar would make it work with two hang points. Then there is the pic with one in use. Voila.

    Removing any chance to have a draft between quilt and hammock - brilliant!

  7. #27
    New Member MadTree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Hammock
    MadTree Tarseer
    Tarp
    MadTree rae
    Insulation
    Down
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Though similarly disadvantaged by ignorance, I will chime in. It looks like the hammock hangs best with the head end quite close to a tree, so it may be that only the foot end needs to be adjustable. If that's so, BER's suggestion of a single whoopie for the foot end would be perfect. Check it out and let us know if he truly qualifies as an idiot savant.
    It would be possible to modify whoopies but I would not advice this especially for the head end. As WV points out Tarseer is usually best set up with the head end close to the suspension points and adjusting the head end is rarely necessary. Also having whoopies would in my opinion limit your choice of suspension points. Say you want to hang the head end around a single large tree or you want to use the trunk as one head end suspension point and a large branch of the same tree as the other or use a trunk of a fallen tree for both... In all of these cases it is likely that you want to set at least one of the head end suspension points very close to the trunk or branch or whatever it is your hanging from and I don't see how you can do this with whoopies.

    For the foot end which is generally further away a whoopie sling might make sense, but then again tying the tarseer with pull knots as it is takes less than a minute and taking it down is probably faster than any system involving some kind of buckles or biners.

    That being said, if you still prefer whoopies or any other type of suspension I don't see why it couldn't be done.

  8. #28
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5
    took some pictures today and also tried out the spreader bar. The system to attach your improvised spreader seems to be different to the one you could see in the images posted by MadTree regarding the mosquito net though it works fine.

    pictures:
    http://imageshack.us/g/855/p8070078.jpg/
    Last edited by BlackR; 08-06-2012 at 22:04.

  9. #29
    K0m4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    HG cf WinterPalace
    Insulation
    WB yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    446
    Whoa. That thing packs up seriously small for an all-in-one setup. Add only a tarp, and you've essentially got it all, no? Looks very interesting indeed, and a spreader bar removes on of my two most seriuos concerns of versatility in terms of having to find one more tree. The other is length, as I am 186 cm, and do like to feel roomy - is it enough?

    Doing most of my hanging in Sweden it is made pretty much for the same conditions too.. hmmm, what's my budget this month..

    Hyvää!

  10. #30
    New Member MadTree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Hammock
    MadTree Tarseer
    Tarp
    MadTree rae
    Insulation
    Down
    Posts
    37
    K0m4, I'm 1cm taller than you (187) and I fit in Tarseer just fine but regardless of your height I can't say that Tarseer would feel especially roomy. I'd compare the experience to sleeping in a mummy style sleeping bag. Can't do jumper jacks but won't be too crammed either.

    Just to clear things up the spreader bar attachment system remains the same as seen in pictures posted by BlackR. We have experimented with other designs (as can be seen from my earlier pictures) but using prusik loops and small biners has the advantage of having very few requirements in terms of length and thickness for whatever it is you're using as a spreader.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •