Page 26 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 933
  1. #251
    Senior Member stoikurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Panama City, FL
    Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Posts
    1,000
    Images
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post

    I will probably drop the biners in the future just to save weight and use the through-the-loop method lVleph is talking about.
    I was doing that before I got the biners. I'm using the straps from Ed Speers and I was noticing that they were beginning to get a little fuzzy around the loop in the strap. I think the biners eliminate the extra wear on the straps as well as being much quicker since you don't have to remove the strap from the rings or CC buckle to wrap it around the tree.

    A stick or very small piece of pad between the biner and the tree, as mentioned earlier, is a good idea, especially on thin, tightly barked trees. It shouldn't affect a pine since the bark should be thick enough.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

  2. #252
    Senior Member headchange4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Posts
    6,267
    Images
    35
    I have found that Ed's Polypro webbing tends to wear more than the polyester webbing I am using now.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett



    Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

  3. #253
    Senior Member lvleph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    717
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    *Sigh* you engineer types. 3.56 ounces saving then.
    Sorry, I just didn't read it correctly. I thought you were saying the difference per ring was 0.39oz. I got it now.

  4. #254
    Senior Member lvleph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    717
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    I was doing that before I got the biners. I'm using the straps from Ed Speers and I was noticing that they were beginning to get a little fuzzy around the loop in the strap. I think the biners eliminate the extra wear on the straps as well as being much quicker since you don't have to remove the strap from the rings or CC buckle to wrap it around the tree.

    A stick or very small piece of pad between the biner and the tree, as mentioned earlier, is a good idea, especially on thin, tightly barked trees. It shouldn't affect a pine since the bark should be thick enough.
    What kind of force do you think is on the biner. I would want to get a minimal (making it lighter also) type biner.

  5. #255
    Senior Member blackbishop351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Posts
    1,564
    Images
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    What kind of force do you think is on the biner. I would want to get a minimal (making it lighter also) type biner.
    Probably much less than the ~ 20kN rating on the Camp Nanos that have become popular...but if I were going to use a biner, I'd stick with the high rating so it would be multi-use.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

  6. #256
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    What kind of force do you think is on the biner. I would want to get a minimal (making it lighter also) type biner.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Probably much less than the ~ 20kN rating on the Camp Nanos that have become popular...but if I were going to use a biner, I'd stick with the high rating so it would be multi-use.

    You could probibly find cheaper ones, but getting ones with a rating for an oz would be tough.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

  7. #257
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I think you're right, FF. It's a great setup, particularly in regard to ease of adjustablity. I have my SMC descending rings on order through REI as of about 20 mins ago. I bought my cordage from my local outfitter yesterday, along with some extra cord to do an adjustable ridgeline. Of all the good ideas I saw in Hot Springs, that seemed the simplest and one of the best. It also seemed easiest from a DIY standpoint. I definitely caught the DIY bug in Hot Springs, so this will be my first project of even the simplest magnitude. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes, especially on my section hike in June. I know it seems trivial, but I'll probably post pics of it just 'cause I can.
    Even though I cant sew a lick, I get to feel that DIY rush when I'm swinging in the trees.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  8. #258
    Senior Member TeeDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,631
    Images
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    What kind of force do you think is on the biner. I would want to get a minimal (making it lighter also) type biner.
    I think you are going to find it tough finding any biner lighter than the CAMP Nano wire biners, rated or not.

  9. #259
    Senior Member lvleph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    717
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I think you are going to find it tough finding any biner lighter than the CAMP Nano wire biners, rated or not.
    Do the Nano biners work for suspension?

    I have the Ursalite Micro Biner, but I doubt they would be enough.
    Last edited by lvleph; 05-01-2007 at 19:27.

  10. #260
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    Do the Nano biners work for suspension?
    I have the Ursalite Micro Biner, but I doubt they would be enough.
    Those Micro biners are indeed not meant for suspension weight, and don't come stamped with a weight rating. The CAMP Nano Wire Biners work very well for suspension as they are an actual climbing biner rated at 22kN.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •