clark nx-150
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    leighlo tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

1st buy nx-150

hey everyone, my nx-150 comes to my door Friday morning. I know most of you ride the 250 but i was more wondering about 1st setup as i'll be heading out early afternoon. I've watched some setup vids like the one here which is very helpful. Curious about length to trees and also how the Clark instructions are, or any other wisdom i can steal from anyones 1st time setup. thanks. digging this forum so far
    -ordered the 150 with standard fly and tree straps
    Last edited by bschap1; 07-31-2012 at 23:15. Reason: add on

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Plenty of pics, videos, and words here. Easy to find, and some will be worth the couple of hours to find and read them.

1. Don't hang overly tight. It is entirely possible or likely that the best looking setup, looking from the outside, with the netting and weathershield zipped, is tighter than the most comfortable.

2.I think lengths of very lightweight adjustable elastic or shock cord running from the hoods back to the hammock ends are almost essential to make best use of the hoods in all situations. Makes good best.

3. Practice setup and take-down many times before you need to.

4. Find out elsewhere on HF or the www about putting the rain-fly tie-outs to the trees on short prussics. That will make it much easier to center the rain fly over the hammock

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    I don't have a '50 series, but from my NA and 200 I can say that Clarks tend to be more fussy about the angle than my other hammocks. They want it closer to 30, where the others I can flatten it out a bit. Therefore, to get the height, I find that I'm a bit closer on the trees than I am with others. I don't know if this is just me, but I have noticed it.

Congrats btw I really like the Clarks. I'm actually finding myself planning to buy a second NX200 as I like the first, and it will just make it easier when going with someone and trying to lap the tarps. Of course, will go with camo for the second one, for obvious reasons (meaning, I just want to, and don't really know why ;>).

Hammock
    clark nx-150
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    leighlo tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    how do thermarest work with these? if they did i would imagine deflated a bit. do ya'll ride something else?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bschap1 View Post
    how do thermarest work with these? if they did i would imagine deflated a bit. do ya'll ride something else?
    Dunno' 'bout (deflated) thermarest, but Mr. SJ is/was a l.t. reg user w sb qua sb. ie: under/over all w/i the Clark NX. Not diff usage f w Clark (video(s)) expect(s). ymmv. strokes f folks.*

*I don't know about a deflated thermarest pad, but Mr. St John (here) is or was a longterm regular user of NX hammocks with a sleeping bag used as a sleeping bag, not as a top quilt or pod enclosing the hammock and occupant. That is, he pulled it up over his feet and torso at the edge of the hammock, swung his legs over, and was within the hammock.

This usage of a sleeping bag is not different from what one of the Clark videos at their web page seems to expect. The space taken up by a sleeping bag under the hammock occupant and the feel of that bag within the hammock are not much different than the space taken up by a deflated thermarest pad. But, your mileage may vary, as they say to warn you from possible or even likely disappointment.

Most hammockers here, if they use a pad, insert it between layers of a two-layer hammock, one specifically engineered, -and maybe even fitted -- anticipating usage of a thin pad or thermarest. But, not everyone finds comfort in that arrangement, and many here use an underquilt suspended beneath the hammock, including Clark's 4 season models.

So, as others used to say, (and we hope in a family-friendly way), "Different strokes for different folks."
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-05-2012 at 00:40. Reason: for Waddy -- see next

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Good Lord! Is there an English translation for this?
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Good Lord! Is there an English translation for this?
    Si, claro.

I don't use a thermarest, what Demos is saying is that if you use a bag, you'll get about the same as a deflated thermorest out of it, which is probably valid. What the thermorest does give you is the ability to go to the ground and get some measure of insulation (and padding). Otherwise, the pockets in the clark have taken me down below 40 with an ultralight 32 bag. If lower, I'd probably bring my hennessy reflector pad. You won't combust combining them, and the XL reflector I've had down to the mid 30's with a 50 deg bag, with no cold butt syndrome.

Wife loves her Neoair XLite. It has a reflective mylar layer in it. It's a bit more fragile than a regular thermorest, but my thought is if you want something half inflated it's probably going to give you more with the reflective, and definitely give you more when fully inflated on the ground. Understand this is just a thought experiment for me at this point, I can't try hers as if I damage it she will inflict pain and injury on me...even though I bought it for her to begin with.

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    Ive used a thermarest inside my nx250 several times and it works fine, although I much prefer using a UQ.

When using a pad, I inflate it about 80-90%. It needs to have some flex in it in order to conform to the hammock shape, it is actually quite comfortable, and makes the hammock feel more like a mattress.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Thanks Demostix; the expanded version for my retarded mind! I have not yet become bi-lingual and learned to read or speak acronymish and text talk.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Thanks Demostix; the expanded version for my retarded mind! I have not yet become bi-lingual and learned to read or speak acronymish and text talk.
    b cuz u hvnt tried

And I think I was the one who gave you the expanded version, Demostix is the one with hair.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast