Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Three point hammock?

Hello, I'm new to hammocking and looking to solve some issues I have with nausea. I found out after buying my first hammock that I get seasick from the swaying. I've dried dramamine, and it works but leaves me feeling a little funky.

What I'm trying to do is create a hammock with three tie offs instead of the usual two. My first attempt was just to see if the three point hammock would solve the issue, so I ran some PVC through the channel on one end of my Grand Trunk Nano 7.

The PVC bent like hell, but it did stabilize me enough that nausea wasn't an issue. SO what I want to know is if anyone has made a three point hammock before, or have any ideas on materials or methods to attempt.

Thanks so much!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    This is not a 3 point hammock idea, but have you tried adding tie-outs to the side of your hammock, similar to a WBBB or a HH? I have found that these pretty much get rid of any swing I had in the hammock.

Hammock
    HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    WS, DBuckles
    +1 on the timeouts... Then there is this http://www.madtree.fi/napsack.html cold weather option

Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    This is not a 3 point hammock idea, but have you tried adding tie-outs to the side of your hammock, similar to a WBBB or a HH? I have found that these pretty much get rid of any swing I had in the hammock.
    That sounds much easier and less weighty! Do you use shock cord or static? When I was looking at the WBBB (in pictures) it just didn't look substantial enough to stop sway, but I don't know anyone with one that I could mess around with.

I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkytxn View Post
    +1 on the timeouts... Then there is this http://www.madtree.fi/napsack.html cold weather option
    It took a second of looking to figure out what I was seeing. I like the tie out plan if it works, because I don't even want to think about how difficult it would be to get a tarp over my prototype.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Use shock cord. You want some give for when you get in and out of your hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    You could use tieouts like are on the Warbonnet Blackbird. It wouldn't eliminate swinging, but it would make any swinging that does occur die out pretty quick.

Hope that helps,
    PF

EDIT: Durp, opened the thread to post this, and came back a while later and finished posting. Good suggestions ensued in the meantime! :-)
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    Use shock cord. You want some give for when you get in and out of your hammock.
    +1 "Use shock cord"
    FWIW :: The idea behind the shock cord is not to stop the swaying before it starts, but rather to minimize the time in which it sways after it starts. The tighter the shock cord, the quicker the swaying will stop, but too tight and you ruin the shock cord (over time).
    HH comes with some really lightweight shock cord, but you could find some thicker cord that would provide more resistance, which would equal a shorter swaying time.

Good luck on your journey
    cheers-
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    An eight-inch loop of 1/8" shock cord makes a good "shock absorber" on each side of the hammock, one at the right knee and the other at the left shoulder. Then attach lighter tie-out cords to the two bungee loops. Works great.

Alright, it looks like I have next weekend's project. Thanks so much for the input!

Though a 3 point hammock does sounds pretty cool.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast