Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

dollars per ounce?

I was sitting here looking at my gear list and started looking for ways to cut weight. I found a couple of easy ones, but I was wondering if it was worth it. If you switch suspensions, but it cost $30, how much weight savings makes it worthwhile? Lighter water bladder, lighter cookset, lighter water treatment etc.... Equals 40 dollars here, 65 dollars there, etc.... Pretty soon it adds up. I know this varies and everyone probably has a different idea, but I wonder where you all draw the line. Is it worth $50 to save 2oz? 6oz? 1lb?

I'm sure many would pay $300 to save 4lbs, but what about to save 1/2 lb? There don't seem to be any right answers, I was just interested as to whether or not anyone else has thought about this.

Images
    thought about it i have threads on other sites about it. LOL

bottom line for me, when i need to replace something i check weights carefully, but it is not my only criteria. i have backpacked over 1800 miles with what i got. i can do it again.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Search and you will find

I am sure I have seen charts with precisely this calculation for folks going to to UL. So, this post is not as good as doing the research for you or picking he only one I know. But, it is actually better than that, because I know for sure you can search and find this at least once, and maybe charts by many, showing item by item replacements, weight saved, cost, and cost / ounce

For the most hammock-friendly results, I might include Sgt Rock among the search terms.

When you find some result you like, please consider an additional calculation of cost per 100 uses or cost by # of uses before failure. Gravity was discovered more than a little while before UL. Mountain climbers and arborists don't carry so much heavy rope to prove they are strong men and women of great endurance. Why, there's even good reason for cotton duck.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-10-2012 at 22:52.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Pounds are easy, ounces are hard, grams are a nightmare. I want to carry as little as possible when hiking but I want to have enough stuff to be comfortable when I stop and set up camp.

Right now my BB hammock is the second heaviest item I am carrying (my pack is slightly heavier and my 3L Camelback with water the heviest item if I take it). I have ligher weight hammocks but I take my BB because I find it very confortable to sleep in and getting a good nights sleep is important. I learned early on in the Marines that if I got a good nights sleep I could put up with anything.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    When I first became "enLIGHTened" to reduce pack weight, it started with the biggest bang for the buck which was about $10/oz. saved. Now that I've been at it awhile, the law of dimenishimg returns is setting in. It's costing me $30/oz. saved nowadays.
    Last edited by MAD777; 08-10-2012 at 23:45.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I would say Ultra Light comes into play with age...we love to go lighter,,but we also seek more comfort as we get older...so there lies the question. It takes alot of coin to go lighter and still stay in the comfort range you seek...and at some point in time..the comfort will win out and keep you from totally going UL. For me,,I can hump a 8-9 lb pack plus the water, food and fuel,,however,,I would rather hump 15 and enjoy the moments more. (plus the food, fuel, water.) Now when you figure how many miles your going to hike,,it becomes another game of the mind as to what you want to carry. But,,as you buy gear,,spend the money on the what you consider to be the best and lightest,,and slowly you will lighten your load to a point that you are happy with. As I have always said to most,,hike your hike,,and carry what your comfortable with. Enjoy!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Only "You" can answer this question, no one can do it for you.

For "Me" yes it was and still is worth it!

If I didn't cut the weight I would have never been able to hike the trails and miles that I have. Reason, my knees are shot, still have bulging disks in my back, hips are terrible, I have arthritis....plus more.....

My first trip out my pack weighted about 50#'s, and it was the "Worst" time ever. I never really enjoyed the hike, the views, or time in camp as my body was just sooooo beat up.

Now (a few years later and who knows how much $ ) my 3 season pack weight with 4/5 days of food is under 20#'s (usually around 18) and even though my knee's still take a beating, and my back is sore at the end of the day I "Truly" enjoy hiking now and I have been able to do much more because my pack weight has allowed me too!

But as I said, this was "My" reason, whats yours?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    One way I look at it...What is an hour of my time worth? I know what I bill when I am working with clients and I think all my time is worth at least that much. So, do I want to enjoy the hours I spend outside? Of course! So then I think how much more enjoyment will I get with x amount less weight AND how much will I enjoy playing with whatever new pice of gear I am contemplating. I take a longer term approach with this because I expect to get at least a few years out of any particular item.

Another way to look at it...I often compare the money I will spend on a piece of gear to the price of a fine dinner and/or a movie, concert, play, whatever. When you start comparing the costs of other diversions, the cost of gear, even expensive stuff like down jackets and cuben gear, starts to look pretty reasonable.

That said, I am not at the UL stage... yet. I am reading UL Backpackin' Tips by Mike Clelland right now and maybe I'll get there. Probably not, but I'll keep trying to get the overall pack weight down.

[Just read Cranky's answer and I, too, have knee, back and hip issues. Lighter let's me get out more.]
    Last edited by Jcavenagh; 08-10-2012 at 21:26.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post

Another way to look at it...I often compare the money I will spend on a piece of gear to the price of a fine dinner and/or a movie, concert, play, whatever. When you start comparing the costs of other diversions, the cost of gear, even expensive stuff like down jackets and cuben gear, starts to look pretty reasonable.

Great responses. I think this one is my favorite. It is the same philosophy I use for all of my hobbies. This summer my wife and I took my brother and his wife out to dinner at a nice restaurant. Steaks, wine and all the fixins. The bill was $260 and my wife didn't even blink. I love my brother and his family, but I couldn't help thinking about what kind of top quilt that would have purchased. Similarly, if you spend a couple of nights in a nice hotel, you are luck to get out for under $300. A WBBB and nice tarp are less than $300 and I hope to get many more comfortable nights out of them than just a couple.

I also tell my wife that my hobbies are relatively inexpensive. I don't have a desire for a $40,000 boat, a Harley or a sports car. In the grand scheme of things, hiking and hammocking are pretty cheap hobbies. Once you buy your setup, they are essentially free. Enjoy the piney woods.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    Great responses. I think this one is my favorite. It is the same philosophy I use for all of my hobbies. This summer my wife and I took my brother and his wife out to dinner at a nice restaurant. Steaks, wine and all the fixins. The bill was $260 and my wife didn't even blink. I love my brother and his family, but I couldn't help thinking about what kind of top quilt that would have purchased. Similarly, if you spend a couple of nights in a nice hotel, you are luck to get out for under $300. A WBBB and nice tarp are less than $300 and I hope to get many more comfortable nights out of them than just a couple.

I also tell my wife that my hobbies are relatively inexpensive. I don't have a desire for a $40,000 boat, a Harley or a sports car. In the grand scheme of things, hiking and hammocking are pretty cheap hobbies. Once you buy your setup, they are essentially free. Enjoy the piney woods.
    AND...has anyone played 18 holes of golf on a reasonably nice course lately? Minimum: $100 just for green fees and cart. Then there is the 19th hole...
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast