Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    Nice review and I like the mods on the UL.
    I got one of the first UL's and it was sent back the same day I got it because of the sagging net.
    I have been wondering why I keep seeing so many of them for sale so quickly after it's release.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Acer, so glad to hear you are digging the comfort of your BMBH UL. I don't know if you were one of the group ( of which I am a charter member ) that has various knee/calf problems with various hammocks. Especially if the pitch and my position is not perfect. But if you are, ain't it great to never have to even consider that problem?

I love that bar cushion mod you have come up with. I may steal that. I may steal that RL/net hanger mod also. Because my UL also seems to have a looser net than my old removable net model, at least at 8'9".

But I see you are also having some panel pulls added to your tarp. How I have solved the problem with my set up is using Grip Clips on my JRB 10X11 rectangular tarp. Of course you have the additional hassle of yet more things that need to be tied out. Pretty easy if a bush or tree is in the right place. Otherwise I have to rig up my hiking poles, and there are only two of those. Then come fallen branches used as poles. Or, I carry some extra line so that I can usually reach a tree or bush. But it works perfect. and has the added advantage of adding a bunch of room even with a storm pitch. I can even close one end and still clear the bars. ( watch out for wind driving your tarp into the bars! )

To answer questions about adding panel pulls to one of my cuben tarps,,even if I add panel pull outs to cuben tarp,,I am still going to cover the ends of the bars with something like the quick mod I did. I know I have seen them and going to look for them...2" dia tennis balls and cut them into adding shock chord to them,,and can even dye them brown as I have the leather dye already from making the leather sheath for a super small hachet. The foam is workable tho and very protective of the cuben tarp.

BTW, how is the comfort with 112" between the rings? Any difference?
    While in HS,,got into a fight,,and fell on a pile of glass on my knees and put hairline cracks in both knees..(still won the fight ) but,,never kept me out of jump school in Marines,, or kept me from doing anything as just endured alittle pain...over time they have healed..but in hammock,,I get sevear knee and leg stress especially on left leg..so the 11ft hammocks alliveated that.

BillyBob58,,to answer your questions on RL,,I have played with it, continuously over the 3 days had it,,as well as all the mods getting this bridge ready for the woods. 3 nites have set the RL at the 105 inches recommended. And if I take the RL off and hang it at different distances inside and outside,,with no RL,,setting the hammock up the bug net is never totally tight. Even when I get in it. And I get a flatter lay,,more comfort, and the bug net is not pulled on the corners too tight to where there would be a tear or stress on the netting. With it set up that way, bug net is pretty flat even tho with RL fairly snug the bug net mod I did works great. No need for it, however it still raises the bug net nicely and there is still enough slack in the corners but a much flatter lay with no "banna boat" look or lay than at the recommended 105" RL from Jacks recommendations. Going to try that lay tonite. At the different distances I have hung it,,from 18 to about 14' distances,,I get a measurement from the Rings anywhere from 112" to 115" and no stress on bug net but a flatter lay. I woke up this morning with a minor pain in the back where the damaged lower vertebre is, and need to lay flatter so for me,,will play with longer RL. I don't see any possiblity of damaging the bug net with a longer RL and in laying it with a longer RL it just feels way the heck more comfy for my back and more perfect for my lanky 6' frame. Also,,in measuring the width of the spreader bars at different distances,,,at the longest distance,,at a 30 degree on the whoopies,,,I only increase the distance of the width of the spreader bars by 1" max. So no worry there.

Can't use grip clips on cuben,,I can see those damaging the cuben as it puckers it maybe permanently. I worked couple of the puckers from one nites usage almost out, but the other 2 I think are there to stay. Only time will tell. I have a email into Adam to ship one of my cuben tarps back to add 4 more panel pull tie outs at 80".

I love this hammock...the way its made,,the mods are minor to improve its usage for me and will keep tweaking it to my needs. For those that are bailing out on the Bridge Hammock,,I just don't think they are giving it a chance as after 3 days in it ,,,there is now no shoulder sqeese noticeable period for me. I woke up last nite in a fetal position even with my knees resting on the zipper and that was even a most comfortable position, and can definitely sleep most comfortably on my side. Wife commented this morning about the dog trying to wake me up rubbing his back on the bottom side of the hammock over and over with no success to wake me up and she finally got up letting him go outside to do his thingy at 5am this morning.
    Last edited by Acer; 08-12-2012 at 09:27.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Images
    I'm not the biggest guy, but I'm 6' 180lbs, and I couldn't be more comfartable in my BMB deluxe. Like you said, no squeeze, I can sleep comfortably on my back, stomach, side, or even in fetal position.
    I still remember my first night in it. I went on a overniter to try it out, and when I woke in the morning, it honestly took me a good 5-10 seconds to realize i'm not at home in bed, but in a hammock in the woods!

Images
    I'm going to go outside in a minute and play around with no RL, just pulling the net a little tight and then backing off a bit ( in addition to 8'9", this is actually a recommended set up by JRB for both the UL and my old timey original ), and then measure the distance between rings.

Acer, is this correct: you are finding it more comfortable with more than 8'9" between the rings?

And, when you just tighten the net and then back off, you have more than 105" between rings AND the net is staying out of your face better?

I am still new to using my UL and still experimenting, but I have not had much time - or willingness to be outside - for it these last few HOT months. But guess what is just around the corner? FALL then WINTER! But I know I love my old BMBH. First impressions only- I like some things better about my UL and some thinks better about my original dlx model.

When I get more time in- learning curve or mods - I may decide every thing about the dlx is just as good, but with less weight and a little more shoulder room. But one thing: I am looking forward to getting a Neoair and trying it in my BMBH pad pocket.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I'm going to go outside in a minute and play around with no RL, just pulling the net a little tight and then backing off a bit ( in addition to 8'9", this is actually a recommended set up by JRB for both the UL and my old timey original ), and then measure the distance between rings.

Acer, is this correct: you are finding it more comfortable with more than 8'9" between the rings?

And, when you just tighten the net and then back off, you have more than 105" between rings AND the net is staying out of your face better?

I am still new to using my UL and still experimenting, but I have not had much time - or willingness to be outside - for it these last few HOT months. But guess what is just around the corner? FALL then WINTER! But I know I love my old BMBH. First impressions only- I like some things better about my UL and some thinks better about my original dlx model.

When I get more time in- learning curve or mods - I may decide every thing about the dlx is just as good, but with less weight and a little more shoulder room. But one thing: I am looking forward to getting a Neoair and trying it in my BMBH pad pocket.
    Yes,,finding it more comfortable without a RL or at 112 inches,,more flat lay and way more room even lengthwise.

Yes,,don't need a Bug Net mod with it more than 105 inches but the bug net mod still works nicely,,I made my bug net mod to put no pull on the shock chord to begin with at 105 and still no pull on shock chord even tho the netting is raised about 8 inches as there is plenty of bug netting still.

I have mine outside right now as I treated it with permethrin today and alittle later going to lay in it again playing with it and continually measuring, Right now have it hung about 17' spread from pole to pole.

I have never had one issue with worry about pull on the corners of the bug net (tearing or pressure or too much stress on netting ) no matter how long the RL is. Plenty of bug netting material,,very nice! Now I haven't tried it at a greater RL than 112 with bug net closed,,but have layed in it at 115 which is max when I hang it at 18' spread in house.

Let me know what you think or find out experimenting with your UL.
    Last edited by Acer; 08-12-2012 at 13:49.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Yes,,finding it more comfortable without a RL or at 112 inches,,more flat lay and way more room even lengthwise.

Yes,,don't need a Bug Net mod with it more than 105 inches but the bug net mod still works nicely,,I made my bug net mod to put no pull on the shock chord to begin with at 105 and still no pull on shock chord even tho the netting is raised about 8 inches as there is plenty of bug netting still.

I have mine outside right now as I treated it with permethrin today and alittle later going to lay in it again playing with it and continually measuring, Right now have it hung about 17' spread from pole to pole.

I have never had one issue with worry about pull on the corners of the bug net (tearing or pressure or too much stress on netting ) no matter how long the RL is. Plenty of bug netting material,,very nice! Now I haven't tried it at a greater RL than 112 with bug net closed,,but have layed in it at 115 which is max when I hang it at 18' spread in house.

Let me know what you think or find out experimenting with your UL.
    Just got in. While I was out, I also re-treated with Permethrin, which I had not done since I got it in May, so I figured the skeeters were goin' to get me.

First, in the backyard I am working with a flexing hammock stand (once I get in), so I have to account for that. Still, I am able to get an idea. And pulled until the net is just tight and then back off a bit ( all pretty subjective ) : ~ 112" - 114". Then I re-tied the RL at this length.

But with my flexing stand, when I got in, the RL sagged significantly and the net was still a little close to face, and was obviously with no stress on the zippers. And it did seem a little flatter. So I got back out and increased the the distance between the rings, pre-hammock entry stand flex, to 117". (When I tighten things up like this, I already cause some flex) The stand of course still flexed some more once my 215 lbs are added. My rough estimate is I have an additional 4 to 5 inches decrease in RL length after the stand flexes and the RL sags. So that should be ~ = to a RL length ( on non-flexing trees) of 112-113". The zipper was able to close with no apparent problems. The net still sagged some, but was now at least several inches above my face. Comfort is improved, seems a bit flatter, especially on my side. I had been thinking that my old one was a bit flatter than the UL, but maybe not after these adjustments.

I'm with you in not seeing any stress on the net/zipper with the increased RL length/distance between the rings. But another thing I want to check very carefully is tension on the UQs. Especially the full length JRBs that just hang from the inner rings. Would not want to tear something there. But you have already been investigating that, no?

Once I get to the woods with some non-flexing trees, like you I am going to start at 105" and slowly increase that until at least the net is well out of my face. I hope that does not cause any warranty issues. But surely the net is not supposed to be in my face. Plus, using the 1st way jacks say to adjust it- untill the net is tight then back off a little, results in more than 105".

I had previously noticed, and did again today, the ability to go fetal with my knees hanging out over the edge, as you mentioned. It is surprisingly comfortable, at least with blue jeans on my legs. But, I might need a little thin piece of CCF pad to lay that way for hours. And I'm wondering if I will be able to adequately tuck a TQ doing that? I'll have to see.

This model seems to be getting better the more I play with it. Good hammock! I can go fetal better, don't need a pillow near as much, and definitely has a bit more- and plenty of for me - shoulder room. It may end up replacing my old one for quilt use. But still, I am enthusiastic to try that Neoair in the pad pocket of the old one.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    After reading your previous postings and answering your questions,,went outside to play with mine some more and fell asleep, for couple of hrs with the grandkids waking me up..didn't get to check a thing out. the hammock is so comfortable beyound the 105"s. and much. Glad to see your enjoying yours BillyBob58.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Billybob58,,,to answer your question about quilts. I have 3..1 is the Jarbridge which is 42" x 58" . I hang it to cover my shoulders down..and it give very good coverage..Its a 50 degree quilt,,and I hang it with one small beiner attached to each end ring threading the shock chord thru the ends of the spreader bars. I do this on all the quilts and find that even tho they are set up for the 11ft gathered end hammocks all I have to do is tighten the line locks up bringing each of the quilts as close to the covering the hammock with no problems..the other 2 are full length quilts by Underground Quilts. One is a full length 40 degree down filled with 3 extra ozs of fill and size of it is 45" x 77" long,,and I bring it to the head of the hammock body where it meets the vertical end..and can tighten it the same..seems to fit just fine,,have tried it out once and will play with it again,,but its warmth comes right up thru the hammock very nicely. The last is a 20 degree with a couple of oz's of overfill and its size is 49" x 77" and it fits perfectly as well with minor adjustments to the shock chord. I think because of all the down in it,,even tho its 49 wide,,it still makes it fit great without any gaps and like you always commented,,vast difference is no pleats in a bridge hammock compared to a gathered end hammock and so no air leaks or heat loss as I couldn't lay in hammock more than 10 minutes and was burning up from the heat of it. With the ability to adjust the shock chord running thru sides and ends,,your good to go. In using hiking poles for spreader bars,,I have to attach the smallish bieners as they are closer to the edge height of the sides of the hammock to run the shock chord thru as with using hiking poles you loose the slots of the ends of Jack's spreader bars and it is just as easy to clip the shock chord to the beiners or S-bieners for that matter,,,and all the quilts with the curve at the middle stick up alittle on the sides which I think is great for awind break and you tuck your top quilts in and your more covered in my opinion than in a gathered end hammock. I can't wait to try the Bridge out in winter as I think is much much warmer than a gathered end hammock with the better coverage your quilts give you both top and bottom. I read that in previous posting by you and others and am totally amazed at the complete coverage you get,,another plus for the bridge. Hope this helps alittle as I think,,no matter what your RL is set at,,with quilt adjustment you can compensate..I know the type quilts Jacks sells has the loops at the ends of the quilts for attaching at the rings however.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Acer, ALCON,

If one wants to lift the bug net it really is easier and zero damage to the net to use a grip clip.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Acer, ALCON,

If one wants to lift the bug net it really is easier and zero damage to the net to use a grip clip.

Pan
    Ah! Very nice idea! Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast