Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Posts
    20

    Vancouver Island Honeymoon Suggestions?

    Hey everyone,

    My wife and I are going to be taking a trip to Vancouver Island at the end of the week. She's only been camping once (I think for one night) so I want to ease her into it very gently so she enjoys it. To do that, I'm planning on car camping which will allow us to bring more comforts. I realize that camping on the honeymoon isn't very common, but we both love the outdoors and we will also be staying in hotels for about half the time.

    Anyway, we're looking for a very calm chill time while we're camping, but I've never camped on the island, so I was wondering if anyone has any favorite spots they like to go to?

    Thanks

    Caleb

  2. #2
    mbiraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Kootenays,BC,Canada
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Posts
    4,366
    Images
    7
    I can't give you any specific places to car camp. Most of my camping on the island was years ago and in remote locations. The southern part of the island is pretty populated and this is summer so lots of people out and about. A couple of places you might consider are Strathcona park,,might be a bit quieter,,Pacific Rim National Park,,probably a bit busy but its big/long and on the ocean.If the weather doesn't look good think twice about PRNP. There are tours offered out of Tofino around Clayoquat Sound, hiking on Meares Is near Tofino and air tours of the area. This is all connected to PRNP. Sorry i couldn't be more specific.

    bill

    PS you might consider B&B's on some of the smaller islands. Check out B&B;s/gulf islands or any other or the islands on the inner passage that have daily ferry service. Also leave hours of lead time on the major ferries from the mainland to V.Is. as their are sailing waits all the time ,,,might be better to fly into nanaimo or victoria if you know where your going to go.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

    “The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

    www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member dedominick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Poulsbo, WA
    Hammock
    Magna 1.1 GE w/ knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Posts
    408
    Images
    1
    Are you taking the ferry from Port Angeles? Reward her for being an awesome camper with tea at the empress hotel.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Posts
    4
    Hello,

    It's really hard to beat Tofino and the surrounding area. Especially if this is a re-introduction to camping.

    Bella Vista campsite on MacKenzie beach is a great location, right on the beach, and close to town. The services are rather basic, but it's a step up from wilderness camping... or down depending on how you look at it.

    There is an awesome Mexican food truck about five minutes away beside a surf supply shop or you can head into Tofino to Sobo's for a really first rate dinner. It's a more expensive but, hey, it's your honeymoon and you won't get better food anywhere.

    As mentioned above, Strathcona is about as breath-taking a spot as you'll find anywhere. It's much more remote than Tofino so you won't be able to balance the camping with the glamping. I'm thinking of your wife here... easing her into the whole thing.

    Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park is also very popular and would be a shorter drive from Victoria than either of the above mentioned. It's, again, a tad too civilized for my likes but my wife and children love it. There's a good web page for it, and all other BC Provincial Parks.

    I recommend making a reservation for any Provincial Park as camping is very popular on Vancouver Island.

    Have fun and let us know where you go and how you liked it.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra1 View Post
    Hello,

    It's really hard to beat Tofino and the surrounding area. Especially if this is a re-introduction to camping.

    Bella Vista campsite on MacKenzie beach is a great location, right on the beach, and close to town. The services are rather basic, but it's a step up from wilderness camping... or down depending on how you look at it.

    There is an awesome Mexican food truck about five minutes away beside a surf supply shop or you can head into Tofino to Sobo's for a really first rate dinner. It's a more expensive but, hey, it's your honeymoon and you won't get better food anywhere.

    As mentioned above, Strathcona is about as breath-taking a spot as you'll find anywhere. It's much more remote than Tofino so you won't be able to balance the camping with the glamping. I'm thinking of your wife here... easing her into the whole thing.

    Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park is also very popular and would be a shorter drive from Victoria than either of the above mentioned. It's, again, a tad too civilized for my likes but my wife and children love it. There's a good web page for it, and all other BC Provincial Parks.

    I recommend making a reservation for any Provincial Park as camping is very popular on Vancouver Island.

    Have fun and let us know where you go and how you liked it.
    Thank you SO much for your suggestions. I'm thinking I'd like to try Strathcona some time because like you said it looks amazing. I'm pretty confident that I my wife would be comfortable there too, however she would like to try surfing, so I think I'd like to try for Tofino for at least part of it.

    Is it usually crazy busy there?

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by dedominick View Post
    Are you taking the ferry from Port Angeles? Reward her for being an awesome camper with tea at the empress hotel.
    That looks pretty cool. We might just do that. Thanks for the tip.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    I can't give you any specific places to car camp. Most of my camping on the island was years ago and in remote locations. The southern part of the island is pretty populated and this is summer so lots of people out and about. A couple of places you might consider are Strathcona park,,might be a bit quieter,,Pacific Rim National Park,,probably a bit busy but its big/long and on the ocean.If the weather doesn't look good think twice about PRNP. There are tours offered out of Tofino around Clayoquat Sound, hiking on Meares Is near Tofino and air tours of the area. This is all connected to PRNP. Sorry i couldn't be more specific.

    bill

    PS you might consider B&B's on some of the smaller islands. Check out B&B;s/gulf islands or any other or the islands on the inner passage that have daily ferry service. Also leave hours of lead time on the major ferries from the mainland to V.Is. as their are sailing waits all the time ,,,might be better to fly into nanaimo or victoria if you know where your going to go.
    Thanks Bill,

    Strathcona and Tofino look very appealing. I thought about the islands too. Salt Spring looks pretty cool.

  8. #8
    mbiraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Kootenays,BC,Canada
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Posts
    4,366
    Images
    7
    How long is your honeymoon?,,,,,,,and congratulations BTW

    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

    “The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

    www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    How long is your honeymoon?,,,,,,,and congratulations BTW

    bill
    Two weeks. We'll be staying in Kalowna and Vancouver on the way to see friends and family, but we'll be spending a bit over a week on the island.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Posts
    20
    Has anyone stayed at Bamberton Park? Any thoughts or opinions on it?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •