Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25
  1. #21
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Posts
    20
    So, I'm thinking about camping in a ministry of forest campground. I called a dude that works at barberton and he said hammocks would be an issue because you have to hang over the gravel and there aren't trees on the gravel. I asked his advice on what we should do and he said try the ministry of forests.

    Does anyone have experience in those sites? Are there a lot of parties in those spots? Would we be better off picking a spot in the wilderness a half hour out of wgatever town?

    Sorry for all the questions, but I've never camped on the island. I'm actually thinking more about denman island too.

    Any thoughts? We're a day away from the island too so any quick tips will be much appreciated

  2. #22
    mbiraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Kootenays,BC,Canada
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Posts
    4,370
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Calskin View Post
    So, I'm thinking about camping in a ministry of forest campground. I called a dude that works at barberton and he said hammocks would be an issue because you have to hang over the gravel and there aren't trees on the gravel. I asked his advice on what we should do and he said try the ministry of forests.

    Does anyone have experience in those sites? Are there a lot of parties in those spots? Would we be better off picking a spot in the wilderness a half hour out of wgatever town?

    Sorry for all the questions, but I've never camped on the island. I'm actually thinking more about denman island too.

    Any thoughts? We're a day away from the island too so any quick tips will be much appreciated
    Around my area forestry sites have picnic table, outhouses, bear boxes and high lines for food storage. Everybody and anyone uses them,,luck of the draw. It is not always easy to just drop into a wilderness area outside a town and find a place for your car overnight and a place to hang. Personally i think it would be better to go to a forestry site first and then sus out the area for an alternative if needed.

    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

    “The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

    www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

  3. #23
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Around my area forestry sites have picnic table, outhouses, bear boxes and high lines for food storage. Everybody and anyone uses them,,luck of the draw. It is not always easy to just drop into a wilderness area outside a town and find a place for your car overnight and a place to hang. Personally i think it would be better to go to a forestry site first and then sus out the area for an alternative if needed.

    bill
    Cool. Thanks. That's what I'll do.

  4. #24
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Hammock
    Home made gathered end
    Tarp
    Home made 4-season
    Insulation
    Alpaca underquilt
    Suspension
    ratchet straps
    Posts
    20
    Okay, so the honeymoon went really well.

    We ended up landing in Nanaimo and decided while we were driving to just check a few places out. We ended up staying our first 5 days at Englishman River Falls. We were there from Monday to Friday. Friday was the long weekend, so it got quite noisy after that. There was some guy with his f***ing generator running all day.

    For the most part it was pretty quiet, but we had a campsite that overlooked other sites (which were mostly empty, but it wasn't quite as private or quiet as I was used to or hoping for. That campground has some really nice walks though and the falls are really cool. We bouldered all around them and walked quite a ways up the river.

    Jim is the "security" dude there, and he's a super nice guy. He had no issues with us hanging hammocks or anything else.

    After that we spent a couple nights in a motel in Tofino and bummed around the town. Ate a ton of food and it was all great.

    Then we went to Green Point and stayed there for 5 days. That was fantastic. We had I think the best site in the campground. We could barely see another campground, it was totally quiet. Really good time there.

    The hammocks worked out well in that they didn't fall . I was comfortable and warm in mine. My wife didn't make it very long in the hammock though, so I set up the tent and cot for her. I know how I can make some changes next time. For one, I'll set up the tarps wider so the hammocks don't touch them. I'm also going to invest in a much better sleeping bag.

    Anyway, I thought I'd leave an update about our trip.

  5. #25
    mbiraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Kootenays,BC,Canada
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Posts
    4,370
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Calskin View Post
    Okay, so the honeymoon went really well.

    We ended up landing in Nanaimo and decided while we were driving to just check a few places out. We ended up staying our first 5 days at Englishman River Falls. We were there from Monday to Friday. Friday was the long weekend, so it got quite noisy after that. There was some guy with his f***ing generator running all day.

    For the most part it was pretty quiet, but we had a campsite that overlooked other sites (which were mostly empty, but it wasn't quite as private or quiet as I was used to or hoping for. That campground has some really nice walks though and the falls are really cool. We bouldered all around them and walked quite a ways up the river.

    Jim is the "security" dude there, and he's a super nice guy. He had no issues with us hanging hammocks or anything else.

    After that we spent a couple nights in a motel in Tofino and bummed around the town. Ate a ton of food and it was all great.

    Then we went to Green Point and stayed there for 5 days. That was fantastic. We had I think the best site in the campground. We could barely see another campground, it was totally quiet. Really good time there.

    The hammocks worked out well in that they didn't fall . I was comfortable and warm in mine. My wife didn't make it very long in the hammock though, so I set up the tent and cot for her. I know how I can make some changes next time. For one, I'll set up the tarps wider so the hammocks don't touch them. I'm also going to invest in a much better sleeping bag.

    Anyway, I thought I'd leave an update about our trip.
    I'm glad things worked out for you. Good to hear you had places to hang and some hiking.
    ****ing generators,,,,no sh*t. Here in the mnts you'll drive for a couple of hrs into a fairly remote Forestry site only to find an RV or camper there with its generator on. Doesn't happen often but really annoying.

    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

    “The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

    www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •