DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    With a couple of ice climbing screws you could anchor a bi pod pretty well I would think, might even be able to use your auger for one of the poles.

Now that I think about it you could just make a 2 or 3" deep hole with your auger to hold the ends on the ice of your bi pod and some ice screws out about 8-10 feet should put you in business fairly stable. Usually you can find used screws that have taken a couple of falls and can't be used for climbing anymore, but still plenty fine for this use. I have a half dozen around here somewhere that I used for keeping my portable ice house from becoming an ice sail racer...I might have to try this in conjunction with my ice house this year.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Agree with Bradley. Fish and then head back to shore.
    If you do want to try it, turtle lady stand and a canvas sock/seep from MacIntyre would be useful.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Yeah, I wouldn't sleep out there, but it sounds more comfortable than sitting on a bucket!
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Quote Originally Posted by Pag View Post
    With a couple of ice climbing screws you could anchor a bi pod pretty well I would think, might even be able to use your auger for one of the poles.

Now that I think about it you could just make a 2 or 3" deep hole with your auger to hold the ends on the ice of your bi pod and some ice screws out about 8-10 feet should put you in business fairly stable. Usually you can find used screws that have taken a couple of falls and can't be used for climbing anymore, but still plenty fine for this use. I have a half dozen around here somewhere that I used for keeping my portable ice house from becoming an ice sail racer...I might have to try this in conjunction with my ice house this year.
    This sounds like a much more doable idea. I have awhile to work on this, as well as winterizing my hammock to take the freezing temps, but this is something I'd really like to try. I find it incredible to be out on the ice after dark.

I agree with those who mentioned it that the greatest danger would most likely be from idiots on fast moving motorized conveyance - danger duly noted, but the spots where I go are not high traffic areas. That said, I would definitely give careful consideration about how to mark/light my location.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I'd forego drilling holes in the ice and just set up a turtle lady stand or turtledog stand on the ice surface. I'd use a couple of BRIGHTLY COLORED tarps as wind breaks and as LARGE visual aids for any impaired drivers who might be in the area. If you used THREE tarps, you could create a triangular "hut" visible from all directions. Sounds like a lot of fun!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i think the bi pod and ice anchors are a good idea.the turtle dog stand is a good option but it would need to be anchored down as it gets mighty windy out on frozen lakes at times.it may get a bit unnerveing sleeping out there during a cold snap and the ice is forming so fast that it starts popping and groaning like its making its own thunder.
    diyin to hang