Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    New Member Meat Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    S.E. Minnesota
    Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    Posts
    46

    Question on those who have WIDE hammocks

    See some of you talk about hammocks that are 90" wide. I have a Claytor which is only 48" wide and when I lay in it, the sides come up pretty much where seeing out the side isn't an issue. My buddys Hennessy is a bit wider than mine, and it seems as if the sides on his are up quite a bit more, blocking his side view and preventing any cross breeze. SO, those who have wider, or those who have them 90" ones, just how high up do those side come? Are you able to see over the edge? All I can envision is someone laying in there, and a huge wall on either side.
    I know that can't be right, so what am I missing? If you have a pic of you laying in yours, would like to see where all that fabric goes. Thanks.

    Todd
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  2. #2
    Fish<><'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Yigo, Guam
    Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Posts
    1,165
    i don't have a 90", mine is 64", but i have a pretty decent wall on mine. absolutely minimal crossbreeze.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

    My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    El Paso,TX
    Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Posts
    102
    I think this is the thread that started the 90" trend. The OP has great pictures that answer your question. I have built a 60" and love it. I have different plans for my 90" blank. I have been too lazy to pin it up and sew it due to other hammock experimentation.

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=54858

    Andy
    Friends don't let friends sleep on the ground.

    My favorite data mining thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

  4. #4
    New Member Meat Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    S.E. Minnesota
    Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Full_timer View Post
    I think this is the thread that started the 90" trend. The OP has great pictures that answer your question. I have built a 60" and love it. I have different plans for my 90" blank. I have been too lazy to pin it up and sew it due to other hammock experimentation.

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=54858

    Andy
    Perfect. That answers that. Thanks.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    El Paso,TX
    Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Posts
    102
    Ya, can you hear the echo in the 90" hammock; cavernous.....

    Andy
    Friends don't let friends sleep on the ground.

    My favorite data mining thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

  6. #6
    AtHomeDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NE Wisconsin
    Hammock
    DIY &quot;Phoenix&quot; DL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    109
    Images
    11
    While I use 60" units while camping. I did pick up the 90 for every night sleeping at home. I find that it's similar to a king size bed, not everyone likes them, but I do.

    The 90 gives me a number of options for laying and allows me to spread out more, yet still being flat. Yes the walls are huge opposite my lay but the large hammock is VERY comfortable.

    I LOVE my lighter hammocks for outside the home, but really love the wide one for every home night.

    The downside of such a wide hammock is finding an underquilt or getting one to fit with the more perpendicular lay.
    The person who says that it can't be done, doesn't
    The person who says that it can be done, does it!

  7. #7
    New Member Meat Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    S.E. Minnesota
    Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeDad View Post
    While I use 60" units while camping. I did pick up the 90 for every night sleeping at home. I find that it's similar to a king size bed, not everyone likes them, but I do.

    The 90 gives me a number of options for laying and allows me to spread out more, yet still being flat. Yes the walls are huge opposite my lay but the large hammock is VERY comfortable.

    I LOVE my lighter hammocks for outside the home, but really love the wide one for every home night.

    The downside of such a wide hammock is finding an underquilt or getting one to fit with the more perpendicular lay.
    So if laying in a 90", you would want to lay across it then or at least on the diagonal. If you laid in it like a traditional hammock, the sides would envelope around you would they not?

    I found some ripstop nylon, 1.1 that is 73 inches wide. I was thinking of getting it and seeing what sort of gathered end I could make with it. Just something to try out. The only downside to it is it's calendered. I think I read that calendered does not breath real well? And since it's only 1.1 and I am 250 pounds of pure sexy, I figured it best to double it up to support me fat arse LOL.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  8. #8
    AtHomeDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NE Wisconsin
    Hammock
    DIY &quot;Phoenix&quot; DL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    109
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Hunter View Post
    So if laying in a 90", you would want to lay across it then or at least on the diagonal. If you laid in it like a traditional hammock, the sides would envelope around you would they not?

    I found some ripstop nylon, 1.1 that is 73 inches wide. I was thinking of getting it and seeing what sort of gathered end I could make with it. Just something to try out. The only downside to it is it's calendered. I think I read that calendered does not breath real well? And since it's only 1.1 and I am 250 pounds of pure sexy, I figured it best to double it up to support me fat arse LOL.
    I do lay diagonal, as otherwise there is still a bow shape at the perpendicular. There is a bit of fold up around the head (which I just flop over my eyes to block light at no weight) and it leaves a pretty generous foot box. But I do lay at a greater angle on this than my camping rigs.

    Yes, do at least a DL, I was gravity fed to the floor on a SL weighing 214.

    Where did you find 73" wide 1.1?
    The person who says that it can't be done, doesn't
    The person who says that it can be done, does it!

  9. #9
    New Member Meat Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    S.E. Minnesota
    Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    Posts
    46
    Sorry, 72", not 73. Stubby sausage fingers hittin the wrong keys. A vendor off ebay.


    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Light-Olive-Green-72-Calendered-Ripstop-Nylon-Fabric-WR-/180816437941?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item2a197fe2b5[/URL]


    Hmmm, I tried creating a link for that but looks as if it didn't work.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  10. #10
    SnrMoment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Streamline
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Posts
    959
    Link

    You left out the url=
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •