Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
  1. #11
    jokerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    lake st louis mo
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    winter lynx
    Posts
    105

    Spindrift as bottom cover only

    Could the Spindrift be attached just to the bottom of RR as a wind break?

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by senecio-joe View Post
    Could the Spindrift be attached just to the bottom of RR as a wind break?
    no, the closest thing would be to just leave the door all the way open

  3. #13
    jokerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    lake st louis mo
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    winter lynx
    Posts
    105
    Thanks, Warbonnetguy A spindrift will be my next order.
    I just now placed my order for the RR. anticipation begins

  4. #14
    Senior Member chewbacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Dakota
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Posts
    133
    VAtriker, Great minds think alike!
    I think sock foot end may be too narrow even for modification for the BMBH, but I could be proven wrong. I am going to try to make one for my BMBH.

    The Spindrift and the RR looks awesome! Nice work Brandon!


    Quote Originally Posted by VATriker View Post
    Chewbacca,

    I am with you on this. If there was a velcro/omnitape version I would buy it (in a heartbeat) to use with my BMBH. I am assuming the dimensions of the SPINDRIFT would allow use with a BMBH.

    So, can a SPINDRIFT sock be adapted (by a user) for use with a BMBH? I think dimensions of the sock are the limiting factor.

    VATriker

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    VAtriker, Great minds think alike!
    I think sock foot end may be too narrow even for modification for the BMBH, but I could be proven wrong. I am going to try to make one for my BMBH.

    The Spindrift and the RR looks awesome! Nice work Brandon!
    yes, the ridgerunner has a slightly narrower foot spreader compared to the BMBH, this would keep the sock from fitting the BMBH, however, you could cut an inch or so off the female end of your BMBH shortening the foot spreader very slightly and i bet that would work just fine, and i don't see reducing the width at the foot end really changing the feel of the BMBH (imo).

    our foot spreader is 28.5 i believe (not counting the tips) so you'd probably just want to shorten it to that

  6. #16
    Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Merritt Island, Fla.
    Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Posts
    782
    Images
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    It seemed pretty breathable - we set it up in the morning when it was still somewhat humid from the sprinklers and whatnot, and left it set up as the sun rose and it warmed up quite a bit. It never felt stuffy or anything like that. I can't really give any indication of how condensation will work until I get some genuinely cold weather, but it felt breathable enough. It would also be easy enough to vent it as needed with the huge zippered door.
    This my true concern .. especially in sub zero temps .. I have talked to Brandon about having a Spindrift done in canvas .. I'd really like thoughts on if the Spindrift would work as is in sub-zero temps .. would it even compare to canvas ??

    ** Brandon .. what material is the Spindrift made from ?? **
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

  7. #17
    Acer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana Wooded Hills
    Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH UL, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4/Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/TeWa
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutch Bling
    Posts
    3,806
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    This my true concern .. especially in sub zero temps .. I have talked to Brandon about having a Spindrift done in canvas .. I'd really like thoughts on if the Spindrift would work as is in sub-zero temps .. would it even compare to canvas ??

    ** Brandon .. what material is the Spindrift made from ?? **

    Mac makes a canvas sock/seep,,weighs 29oz for a gathered end hammock. I am thinking you would have 40ozs for one for a bridge hammock.

    Brandon's Spindrift weights 10.2 ozs,,has to be made out of 1.1 DWR ripstop as I am making a top cover seep for my BMBH UL out of Momentum 90 MR and still working on it and its almost 8 ozs.

  8. #18
    Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Merritt Island, Fla.
    Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Posts
    782
    Images
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Mac makes a canvas sock/seep,,weighs 29oz for a gathered end hammock. I am thinking you would have 40ozs for one for a bridge hammock.

    Brandon's Spindrift weights 10.2 ozs,,has to be made out of 1.1 DWR ripstop as I am making a top cover seep for my BMBH UL out of Momentum 90 MR and still working on it and its almost 8 ozs.
    My understanding is that the Spindrift is not DWR .. for the application I'd be using weight isn't a concern .. I'll be pulling it not carrying it .. my concern is functionality .. at -30*F to -40*F temps .. 20-40*F .. I'd stay with the Spindrift as is ..

    How about Canvas compared to breathable Cuban in those temps >> sub-zero ??
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

  9. #19
    Senior Member hangnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, TN
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Posts
    1,715
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    How about Canvas compared to breathable Cuban in those temps >> sub-zero ??
    Sub Zero = Canvas

    Breathable cuben when cold and wet

  10. #20
    Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Merritt Island, Fla.
    Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Posts
    782
    Images
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Sub Zero = Canvas

    Breathable cuben when cold and wet
    I fully understand this is the general consensus .. but I'm looking to how it compares at those temps .. and would it still perform at sub-zero ?? I'm looking for why and why nots .. for my own education ..to understand why or not .. and to know what the limits are with the gear I might or might have on hand ..

    and for the sake of questions .. would say the 1.1 the Spindrift is made from..given that it is breathable still perform at sub-zero ??
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •